Scuderia Ferrari 2014

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
User avatar
GPR-A duplicate2
167
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:00 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Post

Pierce89 wrote:
windwaves wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:" although the Ferrari F14T's aerodynamic performance is believed to be quite respectable in isolation from the rest to the car, it appears still to not be the best in this area"


http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... 30e658.jpg
Link



It seems that Mark Hughes, myself and others agree that the aerodynamic performance of the F14T is solid. Not the best, not by a long shot, but solid.

First of all you are joking right, putting yourself together with Hughes and others. You are on your own man. I do not know Mr. Hughes but please, he is just a journalist anyhow.

Now let me tell you, Kimi, Alonso, Allison, sorry, the whole F1 Ferrari team, has been saying from day one that the problems are across the board and refuse to single out the engine. Period. For the good of this forum/thread, I won't say another word on this.
Actually, although I have too little time and to many beers to dig out quotes, Kimi complimented the downforce as the f14t's best characteristic from the beginning, but that they also added a lot more downforce through the season. So that doesn't really jive with your version above.

Edit: Crap! sorry for the double post guys.
If some driver from Caterham and Marussia says they have loads of downforce, would you believe it? Performance is what matters, where downforce is really required. I had actually posted Best Sector Times in qualifying, of most of the downforce demanding circuits in this very thread yesterday, but our Mods were kind enough to delete them as it did not went according to their TASTE. Except for Singapore and Suzuka, the car has performed miserably. Although these are downforce hungry circuits, so was the US, Abu Dhabi and Sochi, where the sector numbers looked awful. They didn't started the year with great downforce either, look at Australia and Spain and you will know why.

windwaves
windwaves
-34
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Post

Indeed.

I don't think there has ever been something more bloody obvious. One could see that by just looking at the car's behavior on track :)

And Kimi as far as I know never ever said anything positive about the downforce. He frequently, frankly ad nauseam, complained about the front end while Alonso was simply outperforming him across the board (while himself of course complaining about the car being a disaster across the board, like everyone else in and out of the team).

Boom.

windwaves
windwaves
-34
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Post

Pierce89 wrote:
windwaves wrote:
Crucial_Xtreme wrote:" although the Ferrari F14T's aerodynamic performance is believed to be quite respectable in isolation from the rest to the car, it appears still to not be the best in this area"


http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l349 ... 30e658.jpg
Link



It seems that Mark Hughes, myself and others agree that the aerodynamic performance of the F14T is solid. Not the best, not by a long shot, but solid.

First of all you are joking right, putting yourself together with Hughes and others. You are on your own man. I do not know Mr. Hughes but please, he is just a journalist anyhow.

Now let me tell you, Kimi, Alonso, Allison, sorry, the whole F1 Ferrari team, has been saying from day one that the problems are across the board and refuse to single out the engine. Period. For the good of this forum/thread, I won't say another word on this.
Actually, although I have too little time and to many beers to dig out quotes, Kimi complimented the downforce as the f14t's best characteristic from the beginning, but that they also added a lot more downforce through the season. So that doesn't really jive with your version above.

Edit: Crap! sorry for the double post guys.
Just to be precise, it is really not my version. I do not have a particular interest one way or the other. What I refer to is what I have heard during the entire season from the entire Ferrari team. I feel strongly about this because I do not like some people's unwillingness to accept some facts, wanting to look for positives where there are not any whatsoever.

And, to further prove the point, what is the new leadership doing ? did they only restructure the engine/PU areas at Ferrari ? May be some of you did not hear about all the big heads fired in the aero/chassis departments (about time!!!) ? Or may be some of you believe that they were fired because of the strong aero package they had put together ?

User avatar
Pierce89
96
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:38 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Post

I think the relative ratings between the two sides of this argument says enough. You look at an unsuccessful package and decided every part must be bad. F1 doesn't work that way.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

windwaves
windwaves
-34
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari Team 2014

Post

Pierce89 wrote:I think the relative ratings between the two sides of this argument says enough. You look at an unsuccessful package and decided every part must be bad. F1 doesn't work that way.
Certainly agreed: relative ratings evidently do not reflect the ability to understand. They are what they are after all.

For instance some, hmmm, highly rated guys around here, have the ability to listen to Kimi complaining for an entire season about the front end, the balance, the break by wire, the lack of traction and interpret that as a compliment to the F14Turd downforce ahahahah. Oh well. This is pure entertainment, thanks !

And please, do enjoy the following, just one example:
http://f1team.leiaja.com/em-8-raikkonen ... e-no-f14t/

Boom.

More importantly, I have read that Kimi's inability to adapt to the car was in good part the result of the pull-rod suspension, who knows, may be the time has come indeed to get rid of that thing ? We shall see with the new car, my guess is that the new Ferrari will have finally abandoned it.

Richard
Richard
Moderator
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:41 pm
Location: UK

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

For the avoidance of doubt, this is the place to discuss the Ferrari team in 2014. I've moved the off topic car posts.

Discussion of the car for 2015 :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

Discussion of the team in 2015 :arrow: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... ead#unread

mika vs michael
mika vs michael
-1
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:35 am

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

2015 is already here and we keep arguing on 2014...
"It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal." Stirling Moss

I tried this and I had understeer, I tried that and I had oversteer, at the end of the corner I just run out of talent

windwaves
windwaves
-34
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

you are right, but some refuse to learn from the past.

The good news is that Marchionne/Arrivabene certainly have hence there is some hope for the future, but it will take time to undo the disaster of the Domenicali years.

Raleigh
Raleigh
73
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

windwaves wrote:you are right, but some refuse to learn from the past.

The good news is that Marchionne/Arrivabene certainly have hence there is some hope for the future, but it will take time to undo the disaster of the Domenicali years.
Disaster was of Montezemolo's making, Domenicali had no real authority within the team to make decisions, for good or bad.

But I agree on other points, Marchionne/Arrivabene seem to recognise the real problems holding back Ferrari (bad internal structure and lack of freedom for technical staff) and are prepared to take time rebuilding the team rather than demanding instant results, so there is certainly hope.

windwaves
windwaves
-34
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

Raleigh wrote:
windwaves wrote:you are right, but some refuse to learn from the past.

The good news is that Marchionne/Arrivabene certainly have hence there is some hope for the future, but it will take time to undo the disaster of the Domenicali years.
Disaster was of Montezemolo's making, Domenicali had no real authority within the team to make decisions, for good or bad.

But I agree on other points, Marchionne/Arrivabene seem to recognise the real problems holding back Ferrari (bad internal structure and lack of freedom for technical staff) and are prepared to take time rebuilding the team rather than demanding instant results, so there is certainly hope.

Certainly Montezemolo has some responsibility and primarily not recognizing earlier Domenicali's remarkable inability to manage the team and lead. Sadly there is no way around that. But in general Monti has done for Ferrari incredible and historical things (in and out of F1). Domenicali has accomplished absolutely nothing but damaged a great team.

No, not interest in starting a discussion on this just wanted to respond with my thoughts to your comment about the real and only legend here, Montezemolo and of course recognize his big mistake as well.

Anyhow, indeed, fresh start next year (oops, except for Kimi, omg, that is going to be a good one!)

Manoah2u
Manoah2u
417
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

windwaves wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
windwaves wrote:you are right, but some refuse to learn from the past.

The good news is that Marchionne/Arrivabene certainly have hence there is some hope for the future, but it will take time to undo the disaster of the Domenicali years.
Disaster was of Montezemolo's making, Domenicali had no real authority within the team to make decisions, for good or bad.

But I agree on other points, Marchionne/Arrivabene seem to recognise the real problems holding back Ferrari (bad internal structure and lack of freedom for technical staff) and are prepared to take time rebuilding the team rather than demanding instant results, so there is certainly hope.

Certainly Montezemolo has some responsibility and primarily not recognizing earlier Domenicali's remarkable inability to manage the team and lead. Sadly there is no way around that. But in general Monti has done for Ferrari incredible and historical things (in and out of F1). Domenicali has accomplished absolutely nothing but damaged a great team.

No, not interest in starting a discussion on this just wanted to respond with my thoughts to your comment about the real and only legend here, Montezemolo and of course recognize his big mistake as well.

Anyhow, indeed, fresh start next year (oops, except for Kimi, omg, that is going to be a good one!)
next year as in 2016?
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u
417
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

mika vs michael wrote:2015 is already here and we keep arguing on 2014...
yep. keeps surprising me, too.
Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools.

Raleigh
Raleigh
73
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

windwaves wrote:Certainly Montezemolo has some responsibility and primarily not recognizing earlier Domenicali's remarkable inability to manage the team and lead. Sadly there is no way around that. But in general Monti has done for Ferrari incredible and historical things (in and out of F1). Domenicali has accomplished absolutely nothing but damaged a great team.

No, not interest in starting a discussion on this just wanted to respond with my thoughts to your comment about the real and only legend here, Montezemolo and of course recognize his big mistake as well.

Anyhow, indeed, fresh start next year (oops, except for Kimi, omg, that is going to be a good one!)
Domenicali accomplished nothing and had no ability to lead because every important decision within his time as team principal was made by Montezemolo. If I hired you as team leader, but then made all the decisions myself, who is responsible for the success or failure of the team?

I don't know if Domenicali would have been a good or bad leader, only that he was not given any chance to lead at all.

User avatar
diffuser
195
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:55 pm
Location: Montreal

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

People are rarely as good or as bad as they're made out to be.

I think that it has been said several times before that with a little more luck, Ferrari could have won in 2010 and/or 2012.

It wouldn't have change their abilities, although, people's perception of their abilities would have been far different.

Don't forget, Newey has dominated with whatever team he was with, it hardly makes the Domenicali/Montezemolo tandem slouches for pushing one of the TRUE F1 Design masters to the brink.

User avatar
NathanOlder
163
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 2014

Post

I think it was Alonso more than Ferrari tbh.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS4.