Lotus E23 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
stefan_

Lotus E23 Mercedes

All the respect for the Lotus mechanics who built up the car overnight so it can run today.

Last edited by stefan_ on 02 Feb 2015, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

desl

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes Speculation Thread

FW17

That car looks class.

Would look even better if they shrink the logos a bit

Thunder

Really good looking Car.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Marc.W

Thunders wrote:Really good looking Car.
Agreed, good to see they seem to have ditched the asymmetrical crap, still trying to use the rear of the engine cover as a beam wing it seems.

The only other team to go the same route as Mercedes in nose design

erlik

Thunders wrote:Really good looking Car.
Yeah, it looks really great. This is how formula cars should look like. Hope it runs also well.

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

2015 Winter testing | Session 1, Day 2 - Jerez de la Frontera, Spain (02.02.2015)

Last edited by stefan_ on 02 Feb 2015, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

matt_s

What are they doing with the bodywork at the back? The cooling exits are pointing right out along the inside of the endplates.

roadie

They are like cooling bazookas with the suspension arms emerging from them.

i70q7m7ghw

matt_s wrote:What are they doing with the bodywork at the back? The cooling exits are pointing right out along the inside of the endplates.
They seem to have made a lot more provision for cooling than other teams, the sidepod intakes are bigger than most, and there's a fairly big intake under the roll hoop. All of that air has to exit somewhere.

Perhaps they have just been cautious with the packaging, and they intend to tighten it up as the optimise the cooling solution?

The nose is impressive though if you believe what other teams said about passing the crash test.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 02 Feb 2015, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

matt_s

It's not that it couldn't be tighter though. They have a very tight coke bottle on the undercut, and the 'pipes' appear nearly detached from the central bodywork at the end so it appears that they have intentionally chosen to run them wider like that.

It certainly seems odd that they would run the airflow along the inside of the endplate strakes like that. I wonder if it's incidental that they point out there, and it's more do do with unblocking the airflow along the centre of the car down to the top of the diffuser?

fawe4

matt_s wrote:What are they doing with the bodywork at the back? The cooling exits are pointing right out along the inside of the endplates.
I very much doubt it's just to direct air over the body work, I'm more inclined into thinking that they are trying to blow some hot air through cooling outlets and direct it.

I speculated for some time, that teams try to move some extra air through those long cooling outlets. And while others try to direct them over the diffuser, Lotus seem to be directing it higher. They could even be using air from those extra airboxes. It's certainly peculiar that they retained them going with different engine manufacturer. An interesting point is also, that Mclaren with MP-29 had a weird high cooling outlets last year. It was right over that mushroom suspension, and now without mushrooms, they are lower over the diffuser, as with the rest of the field.