Engine Unfreeze

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
pob

Re: Engine Unfreeze

I think we'll only find out if reporters ask the questions as it's not the sort of thing that comes up in the technical reports: we don't find out when they make reliability upgrades, so I don't think we'll know when they use tokens either.

hollus

We probably will find out. Last years the technical reports did say when the teams changed their "nominated" gear ratios, and when any part of the power train was changed. I'd imagine that the same will be true for the tokens, a limited number of allowed changes on a homologated part. Essentially it is the same as the gear ratios were last year.
Anyways, the journos will ask, as early as FP in Melbourne.
Rivals, not enemies.

lebesset

I think it will have to be 100% private or 100% public ...probably the latter
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

diffuser

Just_a_fan wrote:
ParkerArt wrote: why can't they put the infrastructure in place to stream a 1080p broadcast for people that don't live in the UK and/or don't have cable television?
The UK doesn't get it much better - only half of the races are shown on non-subscription TV (even though the national broadcaster (which is effectively a subscription service because the law requires you to pay for a license) paid a fortune for the rights before selling them to Sky at a loss). If you want the full package of races plus everything else then you need to subscribe to Sky.

I'm with you - in the days when we can watch entire HD movies online the fact that F1 is still in the TV dark ages is infuriating. Bernie really doesn't understand the audience these days - Rolex buyers aren't the audience for most of F1's sponsors. Buyers of mobile phones etc. are. That's why Vodafone sponsors F1. And you can watch stuff on mobile phones. You know, Bernie, stuff like F1 races! #-o

I'm surprised that Sky don't make the races available on a per-race basis. I'd pay a fiver for each race viewed online. Perhaps they're scared of losing core subscribers too...

They don't here in Canada either...but then I bet here it's cause TSN, who pays for the rights to telecast in Canada, wouldn't pay as much if Bernie put it on the internet. I'd be willing to bet that the TSNs, ESPNs and SKY's pay Bernie a premium to keep it off the internet.

gridwalker

Just_a_fan wrote:
ParkerArt wrote: why can't they put the infrastructure in place to stream a 1080p broadcast for people that don't live in the UK and/or don't have cable television?
The UK doesn't get it much better - only half of the races are shown on non-subscription TV (even though the national broadcaster (which is effectively a subscription service because the law requires you to pay for a license) paid a fortune for the rights before selling them to Sky at a loss). If you want the full package of races plus everything else then you need to subscribe to Sky.

I'm with you - in the days when we can watch entire HD movies online the fact that F1 is still in the TV dark ages is infuriating. Bernie really doesn't understand the audience these days - Rolex buyers aren't the audience for most of F1's sponsors. Buyers of mobile phones etc. are. That's why Vodafone sponsors F1. And you can watch stuff on mobile phones. You know, Bernie, stuff like F1 races! #-o

I'm surprised that Sky don't make the races available on a per-race basis. I'd pay a fiver for each race viewed online. Perhaps they're scared of losing core subscribers too...
Sky DO make it available on a race by race basis.

It is a service called Now TV, which you can watch on your PC or mobile device.

You can buy it by the day or grab a week's pass. I seem to remember season passes going at the start of the year too ...

Here are the 2014 details. I presume 2015 will be online soon.

http://www.nowtv.com/sports/formula1
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

FrukostScones

Illmor and Renault parellel-developing the Renault V6:

they are not sure if Illmor project will win the internal competition because all very tightly scheduled:

https://translate.google.de/translate?s ... t=&act=url

AMUS
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

FW17

5th unit for the season unit being discussed to the benefit of the manufactures.

No benefit to customer teams, by looks of it will cost them more.

As it is a rule change in-season unanimous vote would be required, hope customer teams can work out a heavy discount for their vote.

charlex

token system is fair enough but in my opinion they should give McLaren the 5th engine, not to Ferrari Mercedes or Renault