Lotus E23 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SiLo

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

thats a lot bigger than the log exhaust from last year. Really must have been a good increase in power for them to go to the usual manifold.
Felipe Baby!

SRK
SRK

Not only. Today they added much smaller main outlet. Lotus without doubt systematically explore Benz PU's. Sidepods also will be reduced I supose.

Old one for comparasion

emmepi27

Yes! You're right! +1 foor you! =D>
I made a comparision to spot it better:

AlainProst

Do you thinks the 4 air inlet are definitive for the rest of the season or is it a test configuration ?

It could be a safe choice in order to avoid cooling problems during winter tests before change them during the season because it strongly increases the drag isn't it ?

Neno

AlainProst wrote:Do you thinks the 4 air inlet are definitive for the rest of the season or is it a test configuration ?

It could be a safe choice in order to avoid cooling problems during winter tests before change them during the season because it strongly increases the drag isn't it ?
Lotus played safe for this season, at least for beggining of it after last year dissaster. After last year problems with cooling they didnt want to risk it at all so they can focus doing aero and bringing car performances. I presume additional inlets are not part of the chassis. Last year E22 had similar configuration only for Germany so if they fix and optimize cooling issues they will probably remove it. I also think we could trough season see smaller sidepods packaging for same reason.

AlainProst

Neno wrote:
AlainProst wrote:Do you thinks the 4 air inlet are definitive for the rest of the season or is it a test configuration ?

Lotus played safe for this season, at least for beggining of it after last year dissaster. After last year problems with cooling they didnt want to risk it at all so they can focus doing aero and bringing car performances. I presume additional inlets are not part of the chassis. Last year E22 had similar configuration only for Germany so if they fix and optimize cooling issues they will probably remove it. I also think we could trough season see smaller sidepods packaging for same reason.
Last year, Lotus has done the same with the engine cover; remember you the first engine cover with a small air exit and after, they introduce (in China) a new engine cover that looked like that Williams, with a big shark fin, so I think it will be the same for these air inlets but you have to remember you also that Mercedes has 3 or 4 air inlet during the season last year and Lotus is now powered by Mercedes so I'm not that it will change

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

AlainProst

Why boundary layer deflectors are so small ???

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

AlainProst

Front wing, rear wing and boundary layer (above sidepods and air inlets) are the same than 2014.

But cooling exits are very small, smaller than every cars !

roadie

This is a neat looking car other than the additional inlets in the roll hoop area. I think the sidepod packaging looks similar to last year's Williams.

frosty125

Has anyone got any thoughts on why Lotus have gone for very minimal rear brake duct fins so far compared to the E22 and the rest of the current field?

tomazy

frosty125 wrote:Has anyone got any thoughts on why Lotus have gone for very minimal rear brake duct fins so far compared to the E22 and the rest of the current field?
My guess would be, that they will have new brake ducts for the last test with more fins, just didnt bother to manufacture them for the older spac ducts.

Alexgtt

tomazy wrote:
frosty125 wrote:Has anyone got any thoughts on why Lotus have gone for very minimal rear brake duct fins so far compared to the E22 and the rest of the current field?
My guess would be, that they will have new brake ducts for the last test with more fins, just didnt bother to manufacture them for the older spac ducts.
Maybe they're opening up the flow through there. Look at the exaggerated arch in the top suspension arm/hub area. Are they trying to increase flow through that big gap? Could be a nice way to seal or maximise the diffuser?

godlameroso

Very peculiar, I have noticed something perhaps others have noticed as well. They seem to not be exploiting the rear wheel brake duct 'wings' perhaps they're generating downforce some other way that suggests they could gain more from the reduction in drag than in whatever downforce they provide?

Also,

http://img2.auto-motor-und-sport.de/Lot ... 845529.jpg

Is this flowvis in the air duct? Maybe, this team has stumbled upon a design direction by sheer coincidence. Perhaps they have experience with the bulky Renault power unit of last year, as a result they developed around this power unit, and it's ancillaries. In addition to this they began playing with clever ducting in the body work. It didn't work out for them but they learned a lot of lessons. Lessons that can be much more thoroughly exploited now that they have a much more compact Mercedes power unit, not to mention improved ancillaries designed to work around their concept.

Combined with much better drivability they might have something at least top 6 worthy.
Saishū kōnā