Lotus E23 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

gambler wrote:Could the air to air unit be enough lighter to off set the temperature swing , as that is a good ways up from the floor?
Possibly. And less things to fail too.
I know water inter-cooling you can maintain a steady temperature because the water acts as a large heat sink.

It would be interesting to see telemetry on the charge air temperature of these new engines.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

OO7
OO7

GM7 wrote:Good evening,
my name is Guillaume (William in english), I'm French so I want to apologize in advance for my language errors.
In the photos posted by Stefan we can see that the central manifold is covered of Skotch. They will surely change this part of the engine cover in Australia.
Hi Guillaume.
I've looked through the images, but can't see any of the scorch marks you mention. Could you provide a link?

BTW, if you're talking about the discolouration of the exhaust pipe, I think this may be quite normal.

stefan_

Blaze1 wrote:
my name is Guillaume (William in english), I'm French so I want to apologize in advance for my language errors.
In the photos posted by Stefan we can see that the central manifold is covered of Skotch. They will surely change this part of the engine cover in Australia.
Hi Guillaume.
I've looked through the images, but can't see any of the scorch marks you mention. Could you provide a link?

BTW, if you're talking about the discolouration of the exhaust pipe, I think this may be quite normal.
I think this is what Guillaume is talking about.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

DarkJRO

In jerez this hole was open.
So it could be additional cooling? They just don't need it now because of the cool temperatures in spain at the moment?
Greetings
Dark JRO

stefan_

2015 Winter testing | Session 3, Day 4 - Circuit de Catalunya, Spain (01.03.2015)

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

OO7
OO7

stefan_ wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:
Hi Guillaume.

I think this is what Guillaume is talking about.
Cheers stefan_. So Scotch/gaffer tape. :)

zack!

I am surprised the E23 is lacking diffuser/rear wheel winglets compare to competition.
Especially when observers say the car is lacking stability at the rear...
Enstone make a lot of aero measurements at sipedod input, wheel/diffuser output, and rear wing level.

They seem to have developed a "basic" / "naked" aero car for the test, to characterize and then design aero loads surfaces. So the car is not aero balanced/optiomized so far, make sens ?

Neno

zack! wrote:
I am surprised the E23 is lacking diffuser/rear wheel winglets compare to competition.
Especially when observers say the car is lacking stability at the rear...
Enstone make a lot of aero measurements at sipedod input, wheel/diffuser output, and rear wing level.

They seem to have developed a "basic" / "naked" aero car for the test, to characterize and then design aero loads surfaces. So the car is not aero balanced/optiomized so far, make sens ?
The car is underdeveloped whole testing. I dont know if that has something with their different programme or lack of money. I dont think they even have Australia-spec car currently on their car. Old rear wing, old front wing, simple diffuser. If they have Australia-spec it's really really poor spec. Only thing new on rear end it's monkey seat which they didnt even have if I was correct.

zack!

yes monkey seat is new (from yesterday), last year was completly different.
Someone can confirm front wing is same as last year (seaams familiar to me, except the external winglet on vertical pane that seems new (longer) ) ?

Neno

zack! wrote:yes monkey seat is new (from yesterday), last year was completly different.
Someone can confirm front wing is same as last year (seaams familiar to me, except the external winglet on vertical pane that seems new (longer) ) ?
Not sure for front wing completly, but rear wing is definitely Abu-Dhabi testing spec. You could look up in thread.
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewto ... &start=750
Last edited by Neno on 01 Mar 2015, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

kwanchepan

Seems more winglets on Rear wheel

Jerez
Barcelona(2/28)
Barcelona(3/1)

zack!

kwanchepan wrote:Seems more winglets on Rear wheel

Jerez
http://i.imgur.com/qAJ2pj8.jpg
Barcelona(2/28)
http://i.imgur.com/XuO5GR6.jpg
Barcelona(3/1)
http://i.imgur.com/6psORsr.jpg
thx, new to me..

GM7

Yes i was talking about that : http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/201 ... 959871.jpg

Do you think Lotus can use the Mercedes or Williams solution in Australia ?

GM7

How can i post photos ?

GM7

I was talking about that Image

Do you think Lotus can use the Williams or Mercedes solution in Australia ?