Koenigsegg Regera

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Harvey

Koenigsegg Regera

I thought this car was most definitely deserving of a topic on F1T. And I'm a little surprised that no one else had already opened a topic for it!

http://koenigsegg.com/regera/

So basically it's a Koenigsegg that's been designed to be more of a GT than a race car. And it still looks very similar to all previous Koenigseggs.

BUT.

It's a hybrid.

AND

It only has one gear between the 1000bhp V8 and the wheels!!!

From what I understand: there are 2 massively powerful electric motors for each rear wheel, which get the car up to 30mph, then the engine starts slipping through the torque converter with the help of another electric motor that's attached to the crank, and then the torque converter locks up and you're being fired along with a combined 1500ish bhp. When the engine is finally at it's redline you're going 250mph!

I don't usually care for what K'segg produce - I admire it rather than lust after it, if you know what I mean. But this. This is completely batshit mental and I LOVE it! If the system truly does work as they predict, then it seems like a very logical way of producing a hybrid hypercar powertrain.

If I was 12 again, this would be on my bedroom wall - and that's basically the highest praise any car can get!!

acosmichippo

Re: Koenigsegg Regera

seems like a great idea, but even if it works perfectly I have to wonder about something... since there is essentially only one gear, you're never going to hear the engine even NEAR full roar (at top speed). For a racecar that's fine, but this is supposed to be more like a GT car...

I mean, what is it going to sound and feel like while driving? Assuming the top speed is 200mph, at 3k RPM's you'll be at 75mph before you ever really hear the engine START to roar.

Cold Fussion

What happens if the batteries are empty?

mike

Cold Fussion wrote:What happens if the batteries are empty?
The engine decouples and charges the batteries from electric motor mounted to the crank.
160kw to charge a 9ish kwh battery will provide full charge under 4 mins, it needs much less just to get going.

Facts Only

Cold Fussion wrote:What happens if the batteries are empty?
You get your driver to bring you your P1/LaFerrari/918 and drive that home!

Koenigsegg were recruiting heavily for F1 engineers to head over to Sweden to do this car early last year and in 2013 so I'd expect it to actually work as well if they managed to get some of the people they wanted.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ME4ME

Interview with Christian von Koenigsegg, by Shmee150

ian_s

acosmichippo wrote:I mean, what is it going to sound and feel like while driving? Assuming the top speed is 200mph, at 3k RPM's you'll be at 75mph before you ever really hear the engine START to roar.
from the description of how it all works, I assume that the engine will be running purely as a generator at below 30 mph, so you'll hear it then. over 30 mph it starts to use the torque converter to provide drive, which depending on the design will probably let the engine rev right in its best power band, until the torque converter locks up totally.
so there are 3 distinct phases, all will sound different. I don't see how that's much different to driving a fully automatic car.
It won't sound like your traditional GT car, but kudos to Koenigsegg for thinking outside the box. I wonder if he's a closet train spotter? this sounds like he's looked at a diesel electric train and added the direct drive bit

mclaren111

P1 looks much,much better :D :lol:

db__

ian_s wrote:I wonder if he's a closet train spotter? this sounds like he's looked at a diesel electric train and added the direct drive bit
Actually I think Mr K might be a fan of Top Gear - I'm pretty certain the Hammerhead Eagle i-Thrust used the generator idea some years ago... http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerhead_Eagle_i-Thrust

turbof1

Impressive car. Replacing the transmission with smart use of the electro motor and ICE is astounding thinking out of the box. It's difficulr to imagine how the driveability will be like, but still that is 5% less energy loss. Thinking green is not always about introducing new concepts, it is also questioning and rethinking old concepts, which they show with this car.

Although it still features the typical koenigsegg silhouette, I think it is aesthetically a revolution for koenigsegg.
#AeroFrodo

j2004p

Some of the standout numbers
0-60 in 2.7 seconds
0-186 in 12 seconds
0-250 in 20 seconds!

95-155 (weird measurement) in 3.2 seconds!

Thats quite a lot of clout!

safeaschuck

I headed here hoping someone had started a topic on this and i was looking for some info on the specs of the torque convertor...?
Also two thoughts spring to mind:
Does this have a spiral bevel final drive? One would imagine the output stage of the torque convertor could be positioned between and in line (radially) with the driveshafts further reducing mechanical losses.
Does any one know if the pumping losses via piping (and heat problems) would be likely to amount to more than the mechanical losses?
Secondly
In order for the engine to spool up to useful rpm at low road speeds the torque convertor and main motor generator could have been positioned either side of a differential whose input would come from the crank. The generator would be able to consume enough rotational energy to reduce the required slippage from the torque convertor at higher rpm.
Or would this require an unworkable large motor generator?
My thinking was that as soon as the Clanking fossil fuel motor was revving fast enough to lock the torque convertor; the battery energy would be dumped into the power train as fast as possible (depending on throttle position). This would leave an empty battery for a repeat of the operation and negate the need for an infinatly large battery. Or is this power management methodology also unworkable?
Thanks you clever bunch.
P.S. - Autogyro: finally an end to the filthy layshaft gearbox is in sight eh?
Soon to be the preserve of car museums and steampunk fetishists alone. Ahaha.

SectorOne

j2004p wrote:Some of the standout numbers
0-60 in 2.7 seconds
0-186 in 12 seconds
0-250 in 20 seconds!

And they all fade when you compare it to the braking performances which is always the most impressive things on a car.

One:1 does 400-0 in TEN seconds... :) Mental.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

dodds_turbo

SectorOne wrote:
j2004p wrote:Some of the standout numbers
0-60 in 2.7 seconds
0-186 in 12 seconds
0-250 in 20 seconds!

And they all fade when you compare it to the braking performances which is always the most impressive things on a car.

One:1 does 400-0 in TEN seconds... :) Mental.
All of the above figures quoted are mph. 400-0 is 400km/h. Still mightily impressive.

From the One:1 website:
"0 – 400 km/h approx. 20 sec
400 – 0 km/h approx. 10 sec"

variante

acosmichippo wrote:since there is essentially only one gear, you're never going to hear the engine even NEAR full roar (at top speed). For a racecar that's fine, but this is supposed to be more like a GT car...

I mean, what is it going to sound and feel like while driving? Assuming the top speed is 200mph, at 3k RPM's you'll be at 75mph before you ever really hear the engine START to roar.
In the video posted earlier Koenigsegg himself explains how he sorted out the problem (minute 9:20).
Basically, they use a flat titanium exhaust that enhances considerably the sound.
Let's wait for the first test drive...