Mercedes W05 AMG F1 Petronas - Kids bed

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
SectorOne

Re: Mercedes W05 AMG F1 Petronas - Kids bed

plot twist: ThumbsUp has no kids.... :)

No but seriously, looks really good, the kid i´m sure will love this thing.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

ThumbsUp

Hello Guys, Here an update on the bed. After test fitting the LED lights I started with the ground layer of the paint.

And then I started filling up all the holes and cracks with a off course a filler..

And this was the most anoiying part of the whole bed, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding and last but not least painting!!

And after a lot of the above... The fun part started. The actual paint job!
So after a lot of tape and paint I got this far...

It started to look like a Williams.. Which looks quite nice if I may say so. 8)
So the Silver Metalic paint now..

It starts to look like a Mercedes now..
I asked a friend to help out with the shadings and depth of the paint job. He also painted Lewis on the wall.. Which turned out really great.

For the paint he used on the car I was a bit disapointed that is wasn't the right kind of greenish / turqoise. But then I thought: It's a kids bed. And in the end it does look good on it..

My dad also finished the front suspension which he made of stainless steel. Really good looking front suspension.

I also have to put on the sponsors. I found most of the logos online in good .eps format. And I had to create a couple myself.
I have a few stickers just yet. And waiting for the last ones. After the sponsor stickers are on it I will put a transparant coating over the whole car. So scratches wont hurt the paint job.

And after a couple of weeks building on this bed I know how the guys from Manor GP will feel. Damn I only have build one car over the winter and it's also not ready for the Merlbourn GP :D

I hope you guys like it.
Cheers,

Jarno

bdr529

Looks great, your son will be just happy that he doesn't have to sleep in that cage anymore that he won't notice the paint colour is off a bit (only you)

ThumbsUp

Oops forgot to put the cage away.. :shock: ROFLOL

bdr529

I forgot to ask what kind of paint did you use, if it is standard house paint and not automotive then you (may) most likely need to put a clear coat over it, aluminum and metallic paints have a tendency to rub off over time
And tell your friend that he did a great job on the wall with Lewis

ThumbsUp

I'm using white MDF primer, and regular wood paint on waterbase for the black and silver. So my kid doesn't get high of the paint. I've had the silver and black mixed in the Homedepot paint shop. Black was called Asphalt Black.. I will put a transparant furniture paint over the black and silver.

I will pass it through to my friend! Thank you very much I'm really happy with that on the wall..

TommyWTF1

Can't wait to see the finished product. :o

ThumbsUp

Hello Guys,
I recently fitted the LED lights and cleaned up the room so my boy can sleep in it while waiting on the decals to put on.

The LED lights are sticky of it's self, but to be sure that it stays put I used an heat resisting kit (I know LED won't get that hot, but it's a kids bed so saftey first :P )

Also fitted the diffusor

This is how it turned out for now

So last two steps are the decals and a blanc furniture finish over the whole bed so it will last longer :D
Hope you guys like it. I do! 8)
Cheers,

Jarno

Phillyred

=D> =D> =D> =D>
Amazing sir!! I hope to come back in the next life as your kid! :lol:

flynfrog

any interest in adopting a 30 something child?

emilypinkman

This is the Ferrari model car bed with full non toxic 'Thermoplastic ABS' I bought to my child one.
But your model is also very cool. :D Formula is always better!

Glen0408

Hi I have stumbled across your post after trawling the internet for F1 Car related kids beds. My 4 yr old son has a very specific idea as to what he wants and of course you cant buy anything like it!

I wanted to use your build as inspiration, however I dont seem to be able to vie the pictures, would you be able to send me them at all?

Many thanks