(KVRC) CAEdevice

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
variante

Re: (KVRC) CAEdevice

Looks great indeed!
Noticed a vortex generator in the FW: did you manage to make it work? (i'm asking because i tried that, but no vortex actually formed... I guess it works better with some degrees of rake...)

CAEdevice wrote:but I'm sure that some opponents are still improving their car...
who told you that?? :shock:
Following your example, I've been working on my car last week and, with my great surprise, i managed to get huge results from very "peculiar" solutions that i didn't dare to try last year.
In case this year's formula will radically change, i'll be happy to share every datail of my car (airfoils, CFD,...) and discuss them with all of you. Otherwise i'll just post my usual super cool-looking renders 8)

CAEdevice

variante wrote:Looks great indeed!
Noticed a vortex generator in the FW: did you manage to make it work? (i'm asking because i tried that, but no vortex actually formed... I guess it works better with some degrees of rake...)
In the final release the vortex generator has been suppressed: it reduced the efficency of the front wing and did not bring big advantages to floor DF because of a bad interaction with the suspension geometry.

variante wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:but I'm sure that some opponents are still improving their car...
who told you that?? :shock:
Following your example, I've been working on my car last week and, with my great surprise, i managed to get huge results from very "peculiar" solutions that i didn't dare to try last year.
In case this year's formula will radically change, i'll be happy to share every datail of my car (airfoils, CFD,...) and discuss them with all of you. Otherwise i'll just post my usual super cool-looking renders 8)
I was just guessing :)

If a very different formula will be choosen, I'm quite confident to transfer most of the CFD concepts to the new car shape, even if LMP will be the reference rulebook. I only fear that a "closed wheels" or "imaginary open wheels" would bring less space for CFD creativity, despite a larger "geometric freedom" (the two thing are not necessarily coincident).

CAEdevice

I could not resist the temptation to upgrade my MP001 in order to reach the goal that i was aiming for: to match the performance of highly efficient cdsavage car during the race run to Nurburgring. Actually this version of the MP001 has a slightly lower downforce, but a slightly lower resistance than KVRC2014 winner car: Cd.A = 1.24, Cl.A = 2.70, COP = 1.9.

I think that there still is a 10%-15% margin to improve the car working on detalis, but from now I'll be working only on the 2015 (completely different) car.

Daliracing

Is the 2015 challenge still gonna be F1 related?

CAEdevice

New 2015 F1 car!

It will not partecipate to the KVRC 2015 edition (lmp1 based), but it is KVRC 2014 and F1 2015 rules full compliant.

I consider it an evolution of the MP001:

- new diffuser (parametric, I can switch easily from convex shape to concave shape)
- evoluted front wing
- new cooling outlets (already used by the last release of the MP001)
- F1 2015 legal nose
- Aero performance: +10% df with the same drag (considering MP001 "high DF setup")

Other pictures on the official CAEdevice KVRC website: http://www.caedevice.net/KVRC/

WaikeCU

What software do you use?

CAEdevice

WaikeCU wrote:What software do you use?
2014: SpaceClaim (an old release)
2015: SolidWorks (F1) + SolidWorks/Creo (LMP1)

The SketchUp screenshots are only used to launch the 2014 CFD solver (now STL is required)

CAEdevice

Here is the KVRC 2015 car:

MadMatt

Again, very nice car Matteo. Here are some things I have to say about it:

1) I see you've raised the middle section of the front wing. Is it to cope with regulations or did you find an aero benefit doing this?

2) I like how you've tried to increase the front wing surface by shaping the wheel fender like this rather than trying to move some of the air out and use dive planes on the side.

3) Why didn't you shaped your wing mirrors in a nicer way?

4) I also like how you've placed the cooling entry and exit, that's very smooth! This is something I haven't been able to do properly on my car (it got even worse with the latest modifications).

5) Did you see any effect by opening the side of the car? I would have thought you would be better off closing that gap, but why not!

6) I wonder how you've managed to squeeze the diffuser through the rear suspension, I hope we get to see a bit better that region once the competition is over!

7) For the competition (if you haven't decided already to do so), you should close the gap of the front lights to reduce drag a bit!

That's it for now :)

CAEdevice

MadMatt wrote:Again, very nice car Matteo. Here are some things I have to say about it:
1) I see you've raised the middle section of the front wing. Is it to cope with regulations or did you find an aero benefit doing this?
I'm trying to make the travel under the floor (maybe this is not the best solution, but now it seems to work)
2) I like how you've tried to increase the front wing surface by shaping the wheel fender like this rather than trying to move some of the air out and use dive planes on the side.
I like that solution, but to be honest I had not the time to test any aternative
3) Why didn't you shaped your wing mirrors in a nicer way?
Same answer as previous point
4) I also like how you've placed the cooling entry and exit, that's very smooth! This is something I haven't been able to do properly on my car (it got even worse with the latest modifications).
This solution would be more useful in a medium DF track. I'd like to test a very different and radical solution, but I'0m not sure I'll be in time
5) Did you see any effect by opening the side of the car? I would have thought you would be better off closing that gap, but why not!
It's all related to the flow around the front wheels ;)
6) I wonder how you've managed to squeeze the diffuser through the rear suspension, I hope we get to see a bit better that region once the competition is over!
No much space for strange solutions: it is exaclty what you can imagine
7) For the competition (if you haven't decided already to do so), you should close the gap of the front lights to reduce drag a bit!
Yes, but the difference is ver very small.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 24 Mar 2015, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

MadMatt

Thank you for your detailed answer. Really good work that you've done here, I cannot wait to see the results, it looks fast! :D

CAEdevice

It is possible that the geometry I'm going to submit will be slightly simplified. My goal now is to optimize the diffuser.

variante

Really nice model!
From the previous speculations, i thought you were much behind in terms of development... But everything seems to be as it should. Some optimization work will make your performance increase quite a lot, as i've found out from my own experience.

Overall it's the same concept i've used on my car, which i'm showing in minutes. I wonder how many others are going for this configuration. However i've decided for different solutions in some key points...I guess we'll have to wait for the first race to see how they compare...

machin

Yeah, that is a seriously cool (and aggressive) looking car.... I can only guess at the flow path through the front of the car (I'm not expecting you to give away any details: especially at this point in the season!) but my guess is as per below:

...which is very similar in concept to the new Nissan LMP1 that will race this year, except that your tunnels end half way along the car whereas theirs continue to the rear.

If it were me I'd be inclined to spend a little while using the fillet tool on all those sharp edges on the wheel fairlings.. but I suspect it won't make too much difference on performance at the high downforce tracks and you probably have loads of other major design ideas to try first!

Good work!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH