1:18 Mercedes F1 W05 cardboard model

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
kosioBG

Re: 1:18 Mercedes F1 W05 cardboard model

Alonso Fan wrote:truly amazing!
i'd say the front wing's a tad high, but that's no real problem.
2 questions:
how did you fasten the bodywork onto the chassis?
how did you shape the card for the body work, and how did you make it stay in that shape?
Alonso Fan
First of all, thanks. The front wing IS too high and I was disappointed at first, but yes, I"ll have to live with that. This is due to a couple of factors: the nosecone is slightly wrong, the tires are a bit too big too and as RicME85 said, the rake isn't exactly right. Apart from that, to answers your questions:
the side bodywork panels are being held in place by the black vertical floor wall, a bulge at the front of the sidepods and a cutout for the rear suspension. The engine cover sits between them. If you look closely at the pictures, you'll see what I'm talking about. I din't use any specific technique to curve the cardboard, just 2 layers (of multiple pieces) with different curvatures.

Alonso Fan

Thanks
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

George-Jung

Great work! Trully amazing

You should make an other topic in which you show all currently made models next to each other, and every time you have a new car finished you update that topic...

Keep it up! =D>

kosioBG

George-Jung wrote:Great work! Trully amazing

... topic in which you show all currently made models
Thanks! And I'm building a website currently, where all of the cars (also some older ones not featured on f1t) and much more will be published. Link will follow as soon as I'm ready.

Nathanael F1

I also think the front wing is a little bit high, but it's still amazing! Great work.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg

kosioBG

Huge thanks to WTF1 who published my work. The article can be found here.
It's the first time someone's published my models, it feels great :P

kosioBG

Hi again,

I'm proud to announce that my website is finally ready. You can see all of my cars, some not published here, and a lot more.
Check it out here!

firasf1dream

dude !! this work is amazing ! managing to get paul's method somehow it's really great,
i was working on a car last summer, it's inspired by paul's work too the pictures below

btw what paper do u use ? and how do u make ur shafts ?

kosioBG

Thanks, and your project does look good too. As for what paper I use: well, just different sheets of coloured cardboard, I'm not 100% sure how thick it is, but it must be something like 200g/m^2. And for the shafts i fold thinner paper.

firasf1dream

kosioBG wrote:Thanks, and your project does look good too. As for what paper I use: well, just different sheets of coloured cardboard, I'm not 100% sure how thick it is, but it must be something like 200g/m^2. And for the shafts i fold thinner paper.
thank u, well the cardboard u use looks different, is it something like this ?

kosioBG

can't judge precisely, but it's definitely thinner. multiple layers where required

firasf1dream

kosioBG wrote:can't judge precisely, but it's definitely thinner. multiple layers where required
yes sure thinner but i mean this type ? because i noticed like you used some different type of cardboard can you please send me a picture ?

kosioBG

firasf1dream wrote: yes sure thinner but i mean this type ? because i noticed like you used some different type of cardboard can you please send me a picture ?
Take a look at the first post, it's nicely visible there

firasf1dream

kosioBG wrote:
firasf1dream wrote: yes sure thinner but i mean this type ? because i noticed like you used some different type of cardboard can you please send me a picture ?
Take a look at the first post, it's nicely visible there
ah i mean a link from google or something