Lotus E23 Mercedes

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chuckdanny

Re: Lotus E23 Mercedes

That was the raised eyebrows thing ?
Fastener failure...

CBeck113

They did that for the sponsor...if it wasn't planned it would have happened to Maldonado
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

turbof1

CBeck113 wrote:They did that for the sponsor...if it wasn't planned it would have happened to Maldonado
I really wish to refrain from going further off topic, but admittingly it begs for joking.

So new rule: joking allowed, but has to be followed up in the same post with something on topic. Like this:

Looks like an extremer form of the Hammertime: Mad Max Mode: blow out the hood, switch out some sort of make shift rocket launcher and inject nitrous.

It was btw a new engine cover; I didn't noticed that. Bulkier on top and slimmer on the sides.
#AeroFrodo

BlackSwan

Here's the video of the explosion!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

itix

Damn that is a fine looking car from above...
What worries me is that this isn't the first time this happens.

They seriously need to strengthen their side pod covers
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

PlatinumZealot

Cool if the sticker said Mad Maldo...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

i70q7m7ghw

itix wrote:Damn that is a fine looking car from above...

It's not so much the strength of the cover, more a problem with pressure build up inside the cover. The air that enters the car through the side pods and other intakes needs go somewhere. If it can't exit the car quick enough it needs space inside the car to occupy. Engine cover failures like this are not uncommon, it's usually caused by the team tightening the body work and reducing the internal airflow without sufficiently increasing the size of the cooling exits. They almost always happen on the straights too, when the airflow in to the car would be at it's highest. If you keep squeezing a balloon without letting any air out, eventually it's going to pop.

itix

Yeah I got that bit... But if it is deemed aerodynamically beneficent to keep the airflow as it is, they have to strengthen the components rather than duct more of the air out from the side pods.
Massive rally fan... have fallen out of love with F1 yet again and have thus migrated

turbof1

Diesel wrote:
itix wrote:Damn that is a fine looking car from above...

It's not so much the strength of the cover, more a problem with pressure build up inside the cover. The air that enters the car through the side pods and other intakes needs go somewhere. If it can't exit the car quick enough it needs space inside the car to occupy. Engine cover failures like this are not uncommon, it's usually caused by the team tightening the body work and reducing the internal airflow without sufficiently increasing the size of the cooling exits. They almost always happen on the straights too, when the airflow in to the car would be at it's highest. If you keep squeezing a balloon without letting any air out, eventually it's going to pop.
Not to mention that when DRS activates, it has a knock-on effect on the airflow over the engine cover, which drops in pressure. Lower pressure above the cover combined with higher pressure underneath can lead to such issues.
Yeah I got that bit... But if it is deemed aerodynamically beneficent to keep the airflow as it is, they have to strengthen the components rather than duct more of the air out from the side pods.
Strengthening the deal means extra weight coming along. I personally think Lotus were searching the limit with how little strenghtening they can get away with.

Generally, these things do hold. However, it's not far fetched to think the support and fastening points of the cover are designed close to the limit. When these things pop, it's usually not one condition applying here but multiple can apply:
-bad batch of carbon layering
-wind (decreases pressure on top of the cover)
-DRS
-Some dirt clogging up inside (increases pressure below the cover)
-higher then expected track temperatures
#AeroFrodo

Ruslaw

Hi guys, did you see the latest E23 updates for Monaco - Lotus Pastor Maldonado Edition :D

Last edited by Ruslaw on 12 May 2015, 20:59, edited 3 times in total.

j2004p

Speaking of DRS activation, did anyone notice that it was the point at which the DRS was dis-engaged that the end plate collapsed on Maldonados car on Sunday?

Not sure whether it was weakened by a particularly violent jink to move out to overtake Sainz.

zioture

Test Barcellona day 2 Monkey seat.

kwanchepan

zioture wrote:Test Barcellona day 2 Monkey seat.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CE4coZHXIAAWsjz.jpg:large
That is should for Monaco high downforce spec.