What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
checkered

I'm a big fan

of the development blog. As often happens with well thought out articles, usually there's little if nothing to add. That certainly doesn't mean that the effort isn't appreciated.

I have thought, though, that aside from the "comment" function, for each development blog entry there should be a corresponding topic added to the forum automatically, if there isn't one already. Perhaps the forum could have a "development blog" section of its own, I don't know. I haven't really thought this through.

The "comment" part, as I see it, would serve its function as being very strictly on the subject, whereas in the forum the discussion could embrace larger spheres if need be.

Belatti

I suggest to complete the "all cars ever" and "al teams ever" databases.
There are some cars with out technical specifications that are easily found in the net
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Principessa

Belatti, We are working on this very hard. But you have to understand that with a full time job and being a student, it's not very easy to put online news, development blogs, articles, programming the new version of the site and all the other things that need to be updating.

As you might have noticed, tomba is putting online some cars every week. :wink: So we'll get there

modbaraban

Principessa, I can understand that. Still I can see many things missing in the dev.blog. I have a solution:
Tomba probably doesn't have enough time to write a well weighted article on each more or less significant improvement, so why not just add pictures there for lesser importance developments and links to the corresponding forum topics to sum it all up as an article for each development later (probably after the season is over)?

Ciro Pabón

Yes, I'd say the database is almost complete. How about receiving contributions? You could make a list of the models that need to be redacted or upgraded and put it on a page, asking for short articles on them. Perhaps Tomba would shave a few hours from his busy life... :)

I take the opportunity to ask again if it's possible to include a "Related Threads" list at the bottom of each thread.

I gave the adresses (umpteen posts ago) where you could see an example but I don't know if the forum software allows it.
Ciro

Belatti

Principessa, I completely understand, as I have got a full time job and study engineering, too.
Just make the comment cause the feedback request! :P
I am not computer expert but I think I could help sending info, maybe through mail, to you and Tomba.

PS: the site is the best!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

flynfrog

why not make it a wiki for the devblogs

Steven
Owner

flynfrog wrote:why not make it a wiki for the devblogs
Well for text that would be no problem but there are issues with the copyrights for the images. I cannot allow anyone to submit an item with a picture since I cannot verify its copyrights.

However, nothing prevents you from spotting things and letting me know. Also, if any of you have pics from recent F1 events (or older even, for the f1database then) please contact me.

mx_tifoso

How about an option that allows you to change/modify your username within 24hrs after registration :?:
That way you can go back and do any changes you want to it, incase you happened to make a mistake, or simply had a change of mind.

And also, a live timer that shows the time left until the next GP. Although it maybe has been stated before in this thread, can't rememer.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Steven
Owner

Hi all,

I've advanced quite a lot with new developments and am working my way through updates to the development blog and forum at the moment.

Some things that will certainly come with the update:
- day countdown to next test / race
- development blogs coupled to events

There is much more but I'll keep that for myself for the time being ;)

Then there was the suggestions for movies in forum posts. I think that will be arranged too. Embedding a youtube video would always be a nice feature to have ;)

Finally I'd have an extra request. Some of you appear to be wanting to submit stuff to f1technical but haven't really come to it. How could it be made easier for you all to submit stuff and to participate?

Carlos

Once again... a speell checcker... yes I know somee broowsers have them buillt in bit I'm noot ready to change mine. :wink:

modbaraban

Carlos wrote:Once again... a speell checcker... yes I know somee broowsers have them buillt in bit I'm noot ready to change mine. :wink:
Taht wuold eb rgeat! :D

PS (edit):

The most missing thing for me though is the 'ignore topic' function. I kinda use the read/unread indicators of the sub-forums and I'd really like to mark some topics 'forever read' or 'ignored' so that they wouldn't make me check a sub-forum. Coz you see, I read most of the posts here, but some topics are a bit difficult for me to understand (like lubricants properties etc.) while others just not interesting (like 'Hamilton book' for instance) :roll:

Ciro Pabón

Tomba wrote:...
Finally I'd have an extra request. Some of you appear to be wanting to submit stuff to f1technical but haven't really come to it. How could it be made easier for you all to submit stuff and to participate?
What about a "reviewed" blog, where you review what we send before publishing? Let's say articles of one or two pages on a subject you propose, with pictures taken from the site, I imagine.

I insist on a "Related Topics" function. Many threads are repeated by newcomers. I've found myself rewriting things already said.

About Carlos's request, well, maybe this could help:

http://www.iespell.com/ Iespell, spell checker for IE
http://www.wikihow.com/Install-a-Spell- ... to-Firefox How to install a spell checker in Firefox
http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/ ... pellcheck/ Aspell, spell checker for Opera
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/05/07/mac-101- ... ell-check/ How to enable spell check for Safari under OS X.
Ciro

Carlos

An Article Review Section is a good idea. I constantly come across interesting material that would appeal to the forum. It could be simple and compact, just a list of members and an index of single line entries describing the articles.This would be compact, not stretching out for 50 pages. Ciro ,thanks for the links.

Could we also have an 'Author Filter' that would emulate a favourite writer, let's say Jacques Donzelot or Stephen King? :wink:

I used to belong to an Mazda RX7 Forum. I don't have the RX7 anymore and don't post. A while ago they sent me an email remarking how I hadn't posted for a while and they were looking forward to my opinions. Why not datamine the membership and send a not to anyone with, say, 50 F1T posts? Can you imagine, someone wanting my opinion :wink:

NumberTwo

Belatti wrote:I suggest to complete the "all cars ever" and "al teams ever" databases.
There are some cars with out technical specifications that are easily found in the net
I did this one a while back and have more if they are wanted. Manchilds response includes a link to photos.

viewtopic.php?t=2917&highlight=renault+re30