(KVRC) CAEdevice

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
CAEdevice

Re: (KVRC) CAEdevice

wesley123 wrote:I'm interested in the front wing that hits the suspension cover as well
Actually it doesn't it the cover (the gap il 20mm and the internal flow is not compromised).

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
wesley123 wrote:I'm interested in the front wing that hits the suspension cover as well
Actually it doesn't it the cover (the gap il 20mm and the internal flow is not compromised).

I presume that, whilst they look like a wing assembly and suspension fairing, they are in reality so close together as to form what is in effect a front diffuser of the kind we are seeing at the back of the car (the type with the inflection in the middle)...?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
CAEdevice wrote:

I presume that, whilst they look like a wing assembly and suspension fairing, they are in reality so close together as to form what is in effect a front diffuser of the kind we are seeing at the back of the car (the type with the inflection in the middle)...?
Yes, I confirm. The section is a compromise between the diffuser function, the front suspension visibility rule and the exterrnal template volume of the cooling intakes, that can't intersect the bodywork.

MadMatt

Very aggressive but the design has grown up! Congrats!

CAEdevice

Thank you, I expect a better efficiency but the COP will be the weak point.

variante

Indeed a great design (finally no weirdly shaped noses!). I'm curious to see how our cars compare!
I'm also curious about the behaviour of your devices over the wheel arches...will they generate small yet lifting vortices from their leading edges? Won't they?? We'll know in a few days..

CAEdevice

variante wrote:Indeed a great design (finally no weirdly shaped noses!). I'm curious to see how our cars compare!
I'm also curious about the behaviour of your devices over the wheel arches...will they generate small yet lifting vortices from their leading edges? Won't they?? We'll know in a few days..
Sure they will! But less lift than the original wheel arch geometry :)

The limit will the COP, I could not complete the final tuning because OCCFD has problems with the rounded geomtery (complex stl).

MadMatt

I tried flow management with such things on my car, but over the rear arches, and it didn't quite worked, but at the front it was pretty good!

CAEdevice

MadMatt wrote:I tried flow management with such things on my car, but over the rear arches, and it didn't quite worked, but at the front it was pretty good!
I confirm, exactly the same for me.

CAEdevice

Last race, last MP003 release!

variante

It looks like this last stage of development has given shape to a very good car!
I spot many interesting details...a greater channeling from the nose to the floor, larger diffusers over the suspension covers (why's that, BTW?), turning vanes under the exhaust ducts (how do they work?), wider floor area around the sidepods, vortex generating canards behind the rear wheels,...

It's going to be fast!

CAEdevice

Your interpretation is right, except for the turning vanes under the exhausts. Actually they should have been structural supports for the rear wing (see the picture I used in the official thread to ask for clarifications), but I finally decided for different pillars.
There are two turning vanes at the beginning of the floor, you will see them if I reach the podium :)

LVDH

What I see there under the nose looks interesting, F1 style.
And what is going on with these small vortex generators on top of the cooling pods?
Any chance you can loose a few words on them?

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:What I see there under the nose looks interesting, F1 style.
And what is going on with these small vortex generators on top of the cooling pods?
Any chance you can loose a few words on them?
Thanks for the comment.
The small vortex generators should avoid the flow detachment along the upper surface of the sidepods. To be honest the real advantage is small (more or less the same order of the convergence error): maybe they would work better with a transient solution.

Under the nose: I was inspired by F1 concepts, but there is a difference about the rules: F1 cars needs to have a splitter.

CAEdevice

Some pictures of the MP004A, first car release for the 2016 edtion of the KVRC.

The sidepods are legal but not optimized yet, and a couple of details will change depending on the cooling option ("option1" or "option 2") that will be chosen.
The nose is low, but the last year design has not been completely put aside.

Some numbers: considering as a reference the 2015 car (MP003) used in the "efficiency" tracks, the bigger sidepods make the df/dr ratio decrease of about 15-20% (more drag, sligtly less df).

The goal of the season is to be on the podium every race and to win at least one race, possibily the last.