Williams Martini Racing 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams Martini Racing 2015

ITALIAN GP QUALIFYING

05 SEP 2015
Monza, Italy
5.793kms / 3.599 miles

Qualifying Notes:
• Felipe qualified fifth and Valtteri sixth for tomorrow’s Italian Grand Prix.
• Despite Felipe improving on his second run in Q3, Rosberg jumped ahead in the final moments.
• Williams locks out the third row of the grid for tomorrow’s race, half a second clear of the chasing pack.

Weather: Warm and Dry
Temperature: Air: 21-23°C, Track: 38-40°C

Q1
F. Massa: 1:25.184 (11th)
V. Bottas: 1:24.979 (6th)
Quickest Time: L Hamilton 1:24.251

Q2
F. Massa: 1:23.983 (5th)
V. Bottas: 1:24.313 (6th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton 1:23.383

Q3
F. Massa: 1:23.940 (5th)
V. Bottas: 1:24.127 (6th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton 1:23.397

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: From a championship point of view I am happy with the result. We stressed to the team that we needed to get Qualifying perfect today, and they have all done a great job to make sure we were competing for the front rows whilst keeping clear of the rest of the field. The cars have been set-up well for qualifying and the race. We will not give up tomorrow in the fight for the podium and can really help our championship with a strong result.

Valtteri Bottas: It wasn’t a perfect qualifying as I didn’t get a great slipstream in the final lap. I think fifth and sixth was the maximum as the Ferraris were just a bit out reach. Tomorrow is a new day and we will certainly do everything we can to challenge them. The race pace looks strong so I am after a good result.

Felipe Massa: Ferrari were maybe a little bit too quick today, and even with a perfect lap it would have been difficult to match them. I'm still happy with our performance and where we are. Power is very important on this circuit so we may be able to fight with Nico (Rosberg) but it is a long race. I have my sights on the podium but most importantly we must have a good race, scores some valuable points and make sure we make no mistakes.

LookBackTime

Exclusive Pat Symonds Q&A: Challenging Ferrari difficult - not impossible!

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... icult.html

bill shoe

Looks like Williams have pretty much locked up 3rd again this year. In theory Red Bull in 4th could go on a tear, but they're locked in a dysfunctional (but entertaining!) relationship with their engine supplier that will probably get worse before it ends altogether. In contrast, Williams' strategy of taking on Suzie Wolff for practices etc. seems in hindsight to be a solid political move because Williams has zero engine supplier drama and can focus 100% on building the team for the long-term.

Someone, perhaps Vijay Mallya of Force India, complained a couple years ago that Lotus was really a midfield team that was spending more than they could afford to create an illusion of being a front runner. That comment now seems to have been accurate. Williams made the well-publicized decision a couple years ago to increase the spend and become a front-runner again because they saw no realistic long-term survival path in the back half of the field. I think this was the right decision, but I still don't see an end-game on their current path. I hope Williams are not on a Lotus path themselves.

Williams is my personal barometer for the health of F1 in general. If a well-run private team can survive and be competitive then F1 is still doing OK. My personal ramblings. :)

djos

Last time I checked Williams do have a number of high tech business ventures that likely contribute to the overall health of the organisation.
"In downforce we trust"

LookBackTime

djos wrote:Last time I checked Williams do have a number of high tech business ventures that likely contribute to the overall health of the organisation.
"Williams Advanced Engineering has demonstrated continued progress, with revenue and EBITDA increasing, albeit modestly. We anticipate that this trend will continue, while we build up our capabilities in new sectors, primarily aerospace and defence. The announcement of a recent multi-year contract with global defence contractor General Dynamics is evidence of the progress we are making in this division."

LookBackTime

Massa vs Bottas GP Monza 2015 On Board

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDb6NH6ovXw[/youtube]

LookBackTime

One more thing about Williams Team:

"
Williams, incidentally, recently signed a £17 million contract to design and manufacture systems for General Dynamics UK’s new Scout armoured vehicle, which will be supplied to the British Army between 2017 and 2024.
"

LookBackTime

Budget wise look like Williams is the most effective team as they get 1.01 point per spend millios US dollar.

The list below:

1. Williams - Budget 186 million - Points 188 - Point per million spend 1,01
2. Mercedes - Budget 467 million - Points 451 - Point per million spend 0,96
3. Ferrari - Budget 418 million - Points 270 - Point per million spend 0,65
4. Force India - Budget 130 million - Points 63 - Point per million spend 0,49
5. Lotus - Budget 139 million - Points 50 - Point per million spend 0,36
6. Toro Rosso - Budget 137 million - Points 35 - Point per million spend 0,25
7. Sauber - Budget 103 million - Points 25 - Point per million spend 0,24
8. Red Bull Racing - Budget 469 million - Points 113 - Point per million spend 0,24
9. McLaren - Budget 465 million - Points 17 - Point per million spend 0,04
10. Manor - Budget 83 million - Points 0 - Point per million spend 0,00

Sevach

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/120743

Article on the wait for the new Merc.

LookBackTime

Williams Adv Eng ‏@williamsadveng 6m6 minutes ago
#SPECTRE featuring the gorgeous C-X75 coming soon #Frankfurt #IAA2015

LookBackTime

The technology behind the performance.

LookBackTime

SINGAPORE GP PRACTICE

18 SEP 2015
Marina Bay, Singapore
5.065kms / 3.147 miles

FP1
Air & Track Temperatures: 28-30.0°C / 34-37°C
V Bottas, FW37-04, PU106B Hybrid 1:49.380 (6th)
F Massa, FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:51.035 (17th)
Quickest Time: N Rosberg (1:47.995)

FP2
Air & Track Temperatures: 28°C / 32-33°C
F Massa, FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:47.684 (11th)
V Bottas, FW37-04, PU106B Hybrid 1:48.118 (17th)
Quickest Time: D Kvyat (1:46.142)

Objectives: Aero evaluations, set-up and tyre work.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: We've got a bit of work to do on both the low and the high fuel. The drivers are alternately happy on the prime and the option tyre, so we need to work to get them each happy on both compounds. The reality is we need to find a bit of performance as well. The up sides are that we've brought a lot of new parts here, worked through our programme diligently, and they seem to be working well. Now we just have to put everything together to ensure we get a good position in qualifying.

Felipe Massa: It's always the job of Friday practice to understand the tyres and the track. It's a difficult track here and today was not so different from what I expected, and very hot. Now we need to analyse everything to improve our performance for qualifying tomorrow. We know the teams around us are very competitive here, maybe even closer to Mercedes than usual.

Valtteri Bottas: The car felt good today, we were able to find a good balance. We tried the option tyre, which was a bit of a struggle for us today, so we need to analyse how we can get a bit more out of it tomorrow. The long run felt consistent tonight, so the main thing to work on from today is the option tyre.

LookBackTime

SINGAPORE GP QUALIFYING

19 SEP 2015
Marina Bay, Singapore
5.065kms / 3.147 miles

Qualifying Notes:
• Valtteri qualified seventh and Felipe ninth for the Singapore Grand Prix.
• Valtteri set his quickest time of the day on his final run but was pushed down from P5 to P7.
• Felipe made a small mistake on his last lap, so was unable to match his best time from Q2 which would have put him P8.
• Williams was closer than usual to both Mercedes, with Valtteri just two tenths behind Hamilton in P5 while Ferrari and Red Bull make up the first two rows.

Temperature: Air: 28-29°C, Track: 33-35°C

Q1
V. Bottas: 1:46.231 (6th)
F. Massa: 1:46.879 (14th)
Quickest Time: D. Kvyat 1:45.340

Q2
F. Massa: 1:45.701 (8th)
V. Bottas: 1:45.887 (10th)
Quickest Time: S. Vettel 1:44.743

Q3
V. Bottas: 1:45.676 (7th)
F. Massa: 1:46.077 (9th)
Quickest Time: S. Vettel 1:43.885

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: We worked on the car last night to ensure we were in Q3 and in front of the midfield, but it's not where we need to be. As a company, everyone at Williams needs to work hard to ensure that we improve in situations like this. There are some fairly anomalous laptimes in qualifying today, so we can see that tyre management played a major part. The positive is that it's going to be a long race with lots of points to pick up, so we'll get as many as we can

Valtteri Bottas: Given Friday, it's a good starting position for tomorrow. We always knew it was going to be challenging for us here and we improved from practice to get both cars inside the top 10. I'm pleased with my lap, I think I got everything I could from the car so it's a good result. This is a race where anything can happen and we are going to be there so everything is still open.

Felipe Massa: It wasn't an easy qualifying session. I made a mistake in Q3 and lost time that would have put me a few positions further up. We only had one set of new tyres for Q3 so I tried everything I could, maybe too much. The position at the end could have been much better, but this is not a fantastic track for us so we'll concentrate on getting the best we can from the race tomorrow.

LookBackTime

SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

20 SEP 2015
Race Notes:
• Valtteri Bottas finished the Singapore Grand Prix in fifth place, while team mate Felipe Massa was forced to retire.
• Valtteri moved ahead of Kvyat during the final round of pitstops and comfortably held fifth position to the finish.
• Felipe had to make an extra pit stop due to a slow puncture following contact from Hulkenberg's Force India. He later retired with a gearbox problem.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: It was an excellent race for Valtteri today. He showed great pace and the gap from qualifying disappeared, so we were fighting with Kvyat and Rosberg throughout the race. We made good strategic calls, when Kvyat pitted we stayed out knowing a safety car could come at any time, and we got ahead of him. Felipe getting tangled up with Hulkenberg, who subsequently received a penalty, was unfortunate and put us on the back foot with that car. His retirement was a gearbox problem, the car was jumping out of gear so we need to investigate that. I'm happy with the day but it's tinged with disappointment because we've lost some points with Felipe's car.

Valtteri Bottas: It was a good race for me. The start was good, the pace was a little bit better than we expected. I could put a bit of pressure on the guys in front and undercut some people. The pit crew did an amazing job today under pressure. We did what we had to, got our heads down and took our opportunities. This was the maximum result today so I'm pleased.

Felipe Massa: It was a very unlucky race for me. My problems started with the collision I had with Hulkenberg after my first stop. I was braking for the corner and he turned his car in on mine, leaving me with nowhere to go, so we hit. This caused a slow puncture on my front-right tyre and the extra pitstop put me back many positions. I then had a gearbox problem. I was changing gears from 2nd to 3rd and was getting neutral. It seemed to resolve itself but it happened again and I had to retire the car. It was one of those races where things just weren't going my way. We need to concentrate on recovering some of our lost points at the next race.

LookBackTime

JAPANESE GP QUALIFYING

26 SEP 2015
Suzuka, Japan
5.807kms / 3.608 miles

Qualifying Notes:
Valtteri Bottas qualified third and Felipe Massa fifth for tomorrow’s Japanese Grand Prix.
Both cars made it through Q1 on the prime tyre before needing only one option tyre run each in Q2 to safely make it into the top ten shootout.
Neither driver had a chance to improve on their final runs in Q3 as the session was red flagged following an accident for Kvyat

Temperature: Air: 26-28°C, Track: 32-37°C

Q1
V. Bottas: 1:34.326 (4th)
F. Massa: 1:34.744 (10th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton 1:33.015

Q2
F. Massa: 1:33.377 (4th)
V. Bottas: 1:33.416 (5th)
Quickest Time: N. Rosberg 1:32.632

Q3
V. Bottas: 1:33.024 (3rd)
F. Massa: 1:33.337 (5th)
Quickest Time: N. Rosberg 1:32.584

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: The important point to make first is that Kvyat is ok, after what was a big accident. Without the red flag we could have taken third and fourth, and that was our target coming into the session. It was a great team effort throughout the whole day and we have a competitive car. The longer runs look good and we have to convert qualifying into a strong points score over our competitors tomorrow.

Valtteri Bottas: I’m really happy to be third again in Suzuka. It has been a good day. We made some changes after FP3 and those changes were exactly what we needed, so as a team we have really performed well. I feel comfortable with the car and around here that is very important. I enjoyed the session a lot. We have limited data on tyre wear due to the conditions yesterday, but starting third we need to target the podium tomorrow.

Felipe Massa: It was a good qualifying where we managed to save a set of tyres for tomorrow. The car was competitive even if I didn’t get to show its full pace due to the red flag in Q3. After such a big accident it’s good to see Daniil jump out of the car. We have a long race tomorrow which we are looking forward to and I believe we can deliver a strong performance.