Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Jordan44

Re: Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team 2015

Sorry if it's already been posted, but rumours Niki Lauda is going to quit the team after a fall-out with Wolff:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/for ... 602805.ece

There is no reason given but wouldn't be surprised if it's related to the driver spat on track.

kooleracer

J0rd4n wrote:Sorry if it's already been posted, but rumours Niki Lauda is going to quit the team after a fall-out with Wolff:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/for ... 602805.ece

There is no reason given but wouldn't be surprised if it's related to the driver spat on track.
He didn't agree with the on track strategy call in Mexico. He was in favor for Hamilton doing a 1 stop if he wanted. Also he doens't agree with Toto's (driver)management style.

I also don't agree with this both drivers on the same strategy style of management. It's created a tunnel vision, this leads to losing race's if they are both on the wrong strategy like in Malaysia. Or not stacking in Austin. You have to look at your drivers as competitors and let them race however they want. Williams also uses this style and they always lose out during the pitstops because of it, it's to conservative.

Great loss the lose Lauda, the only guy in Mercedes management who gives his opinion without worrying about the media backlash or politics. Will make the team less likeable in my eyes.
Irvine:"If you don't have a good car you can't win it, unless you are Michael or Senna. Lots of guys won in Adrian Newey's cars, big deal. Adrian is the real genius out there, there is Senna, there is Michael and there is Newey.They were the three great talents."

Facts Only

The definition of Hyperbole:

Lewis Hamilton’s relationship with Nico Rosberg is at rock bottom as his world championship-winning Mercedes team teeter on the brink of meltdown.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Jolle

It would be a shame to loose Lauda if that is really the case. When I started to follow f1 back in 1984 as a little lad, his story was one that defined formula one for me.

But looking at his whole history in F1, I think he never finished a job, apart from his final season for McLaren. He left Ferrari as a WC before the season ended in '77, left Brabbam before the saison ended. Been on the payroll for Ferrari as an advisor, been involved with Jaguar racing and left before he could get anything done, did he had a job at McLaren at one point as well? And now Mercedes...

It's a bit of a pattern

astracrazy

Lauda doesn't really have a job to do at Merc. He oversees, he doesn't make the decisions Toto and Paddy do. Regardless though, I wouldn't say he hasn't finished the job. Back to back double champions. When does the job become finished? When they move back down the grid?

The pattern for me here is key people from Merc have left and it seems to involve power hungry Toto. Ross and now Lauda.

turbof1

astracrazy wrote:Lauda doesn't really have a job to do at Merc. He oversees, he doesn't make the decisions Toto and Paddy do. Regardless though, I wouldn't say he hasn't finished the job. Back to back double champions. When does the job become finished? When they move back down the grid?

The pattern for me here is key people from Merc have left and it seems to involve power hungry Toto. Ross and now Lauda.
Niki Lauda has a very similar function to Helmut Marko: kind of a consultant.
#AeroFrodo

XRayF1

Jolle wrote:It would be a shame to loose Lauda if that is really the case. When I started to follow f1 back in 1984 as a little lad, his story was one that defined formula one for me.

But looking at his whole history in F1, I think he never finished a job, apart from his final season for McLaren. He left Ferrari as a WC before the season ended in '77, left Brabbam before the saison ended. Been on the payroll for Ferrari as an advisor, been involved with Jaguar racing and left before he could get anything done, did he had a job at McLaren at one point as well? And now Mercedes...

It's a bit of a pattern
I believe we have to be careful here.
There is always the point how the job was actually defined.

At Ferrari, I believe his actual task was to get Jean Todt to the team.
For Mercedes, it was to get Mercedes on the Bernie-Ecclestone money bonus track.
Both were achieved.

SiLo

He's right on the strategy front. The drivers will will then find it easier to race each other which would be great.
Felipe Baby!

AnthonyG

Jolle wrote:It would be a shame to loose Lauda if that is really the case. When I started to follow f1 back in 1984 as a little lad, his story was one that defined formula one for me.

It's a bit of a pattern
He's more a transformational manager then.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Facts Only

XRayF1 wrote:

It's a bit of a pattern
I believe we have to be careful here.
There is always the point how the job was actually defined.

At Ferrari, I believe his actual task was to get Jean Todt to the team.
For Mercedes, it was to get Mercedes on the Bernie-Ecclestone money bonus track.
Both were achieved.
I think perhaps Lauda's other big contribution was realising what the Merc marketing department hadn't ... that having a non-German driver winning is more marketable to Mercedes than Simply having two German drivers.

And thus pushing to get the best driver they could in Hamilton.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

ringo

It would be funny if after retiring from Williams Suzie joins the mercedes F1 team in a managerial role.
For Sure!!

FoxHound

He owns part of the team, any motion to remove Lauda will need to involve him or a massively expensive buyout.
Either way it has been denied by Lauda as media BS.
JET set

SectorOne

"There is absolutely nothing to discuss," he said. "I have a contract until 2017 – which I want to fulfil. I do not know who is writing these stories, but the truth is… Toto and I are working together in harmony, everything is wonderful."
http://gptoday.com/full_story/view/5458 ... Merc_rift/
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

astracrazy

FoxHound wrote:He owns part of the team, any motion to remove Lauda will need to involve him or a massively expensive buyout.
Either way it has been denied by Lauda as media BS.
I'm pretty sure you can be removed or voted off from the board and still own shares

Jordan44

Meanwhile Lauda is still claiming Mercedes don't have a power advantage and thinks there will be no dominance next year: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/lauda ... ine-power/ - Hard to know when to trust him.