Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

variante wrote:LVDH, it's a brave choice to change the whole rear end of your car!
It happened iteration by iteration. At some point I even had a rear end very similar to yours but went back to where I am now.

I will write about the aerodynamics of the car soon. The rear end is now very good in my opinion, it should have competition crushing performance.

I am very eager to see all the other cars, I hope we will see the renderings soon.

CAEdevice

So far I have received no news... is it good news? It would be the first time my car is legal at the first attempt.

cdsavage

Sorry about the delay. I expect to have all the legality checks done by Wednesday night.

julien.decharentenay

Looks like we are keeping up with the tradition to be late on the last race... The resubmission for illegal cars is set back to Friday evening - we can't expect resubmission prior to the compliance being advised...

Marketing wise: We are in contact with NAFEMS. They will put a note on their website once I have a calendar ready for next year. We also trying to contact people in the racing car industry to make them aware of the challenge and trying to get their support with some luck so far.

CAEdevice

julien.decharentenay wrote:Looks like we are keeping up with the tradition to be late on the last race... The resubmission for illegal cars is set back to Friday evening - we can't expect resubmission prior to the compliance being advised...

Marketing wise: We are in contact with NAFEMS. They will put a note on their website once I have a calendar ready for next year. We also trying to contact people in the racing car industry to make them aware of the challenge and trying to get their support with some luck so far.
Thanks Chris for the update, the legality check is a heavy task, we should think about a lighter protocol (see 2016 thread).

Great news Julien! My advice is to keep the official website up to date. After the last race I'm going to write about the challenge in the most important italian CAD website (http://www.cad3d.it) and maybe somewhere.

CAEdevice

Hi everybody, l have just done my last 2015 submission after the rulecheck!

As promised I'm going to release the 3D models of my MP003: the car is 90% rules compliant, but it does not inlcude the last two weeks of CFD development. Only the diffuser has been replaced with a generic profile. Anyway: it is a good base to start the development for a newbie (but I'd like to receive comments, in the dedicated thread, from the KVRC 2015 partecipants). Feel free to use it as you prefer (the KVRC staff is allowed to use it for any purpose).

You can find it on GrabCAD and (as soon as possibile) on my website (with an article with some additional data).

https://grabcad.com/library/mp003-1
Last edited by CAEdevice on 12 Nov 2015, 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

variante

Awesome, Matteo! New entrants will have no excuses not to be on the podium :lol:

CAEdevice

variante wrote:Awesome, Matteo! New entrants will have no excuses not to be on the podium :lol:
Maybe 4th place... but consider that the diffuser makes a big difference: this car has a df/drag ratio around 3.8, my official car (if everything will go as expected in the 6th race) will have it around 4.5.

julien.decharentenay

Thanks Matteo for making such valuable information available. I will get though an overall of the website in the next few weeks - hopefully.

Just a message to let you know that Chris has issued compliance/non-compliance advice and the CFD simulations are starting (as I am typing) for the compliant entries. Good luck.

RicME85

Yeah got my compliance check the other night and fixed the issues straight away.
Will be interesting to see what the work done in the CFD thread will do to race result. Hopefully we can get the 2016 rules set in stone as soon as possible so that I can keep my current enthusiasm working by transferring ideas from the months of testing and development into next years challenger. Hopefully after all this time in KVRC I might be able to get a but closer to the podium if I refine some of the work done recently.

cdsavage

Round 6 entries:

We won't be posting the straight and apex speeds this round, because Richard (machin) has something else planned for us...

machin

Looks like there has been quite a lot of development... Looking forward to seeing how the Variante-JJR battle resolves itself and whether the others can get amongst them....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

JJR's car looks like a huge improvement compared to last race. Those side openings do not seem to convince him anymore either.
Variante looks the same.
And I thought I would not be the only one with a nice curvy wing. But what happened - CAEdevice went back to plain straight.
Kineuton could have a surprise for us all. But I think with the almost unavoidable base drag it is hard not to use a big rear wing.
machin wrote:... Looking forward to seeing how the Variante-JJR battle resolves itself and whether the others can get amongst them....
Better by MantiumRAY storming the top position on the podium.

CAEdevice

Well done! At least 5 teams show interesting developments. JJR has a very clean design this time. The curved rear wing of Mantium is interesting, but very different from my version. You can see it in the images I released on GrabCAD (see above). I decided to not use it because I had convergence problems with the final simulation (for the development I use the "very stable option" without wing refinement) and I did not want to take a risk using the new rear wing without a complete test.

My car seems unchanged, but almost every feature has been modified since the previous race. I think that Variante did the same.

This car is the latest evolution if my MP003 (but probably not the last... let's wait the new rules) and, if everything will work as expected the most efficent CAEdevice car, even though I don't think it will be enough to win the race.