Williams Martini Racing 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LookBackTime

Re: Williams Martini Racing 2015

Jaguar C-X75 | Felipe Massa Drives the C-X75 from Spectre in Mexico City

LookBackTime

30 OCT 2015
Mexico City, Mexico

4.304kms / 2.674 miles

FP1
Weather: Warm and Dry
Air & Track Temperatures: 18-21°C / 22-40°C
V Bottas, FW37-04, PU106B Hybrid 1:27.303 (7th)
F Massa, FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:27.695 (10th)
Quickest Time: M Verstappen (1:25.900)

FP2
Air & Track Temperatures: 18-21°C / 28-41°C
V Bottas, FW37-04, PU106B Hybrid 1:22.721 (7th)
F Massa, FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:23.289 (10th)
Quickest Time: N Rosberg (1:21.531)

Objectives: aero evaluations, set-up and tyre work.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: First impressions of the circuit are really good, the layout is great. The grip was really low today as you can see from all the drivers’ comments. It was very slippery even with the option tyre, but I’m sure that’s going to improve over weekend. The characteristics of the option and the prime will change, the delta between the two and the degradation will also change. It’s been quite a reasonable start, we did all the work we needed to get through on low and high fuel, now we just need to put it all together for qualifying tomorrow.

Valtteri Bottas: We had plenty of running today, which was good. The conditions were very difficult, with very low overall grip because of the high altitude, but also because of the new asphalt which is very slippery. Tonight we need to look at how we can get the tyres to work and bite better on the surface, that’s the main thing. But so far it’s not too bad, I think we can have a good weekend.

Felipe Massa: It was a very difficult day. It was the first time on this track and it was one of the most slippery tracks I’ve ever driven in my life. It was difficult to keep the car on the track, especially in the wet as the conditions were really slippery. Even in the dry we had to work to understand the grip of the tyres which was very difficult. We have a lot of work for tomorrow to understand the car, the track, the balance and even the weather, this will be important work for the outcome of the rest of the weekend.

LookBackTime

How Williams Martini Racing will use machine learning and the Internet of Things

http://www.vbprofiles.com/tb/topic/52a0 ... -of-things

Artificial intelligence, machine learning and the Internet of Things could all play a significant role within the Williams Martini Racing Formula 1 team in the not too distant future, its IT director, Graeme Hackland, has told Computing.
Formula 1 often sits at the cutting edge of information technology, with analytics and big data now playing a key role at the pinnacle of motorsport.
"There's more than just the car, we've almost instrumented it completely and if there was unlimited size for black boxes on the car, maybe we'd be gathering even more data. I think we've got as much as we can get off the car," said Hackland, who prior to joining Williams in January 2014 served as CIO of the Lotus F1 team.
However, the connected devices and other innovative technologies could aid Williams away from the race track in other vital areas including manufacturing and car design. Indeed, rival F1 team Infiniti Red Bull racing are also examining how connected devices can benefit the sport.
"I think where the Internet of Things is going to play a big part is putting sensors in all sorts of areas: the factory, manufacturing, the design side of things. I think we can see improvements to traditional CAD drawings using sensors and technology in manufacturing," said Hackland.
He also explained how machine-learning algorithms could play a crucial role in the fast moving world of Formula 1. "A Formula 1 car is in constant evolution. Although we only make four or five cars a year, every single race that car changes. There are times when you'll manufacture something while the designer is redesigning it," he said.
It's here that machine learning and artificial intelligence could play a role by causing the machine manufacturing the part or the car to automatically react if there's a change made to an associated design file.
"We think with machine learning, AI and the Internet of Things, if we can join up that lifecycle so if a designer opens a part and starts to amend it, the manufacturing capability will know that's the next job," Hackland said.
"If a designer is redesigning it the likelihood is you're not going to use the original part, the machines can start to make decisions about what they're manufacturing," he added.
And that might just be scraping the surface of how the Formula 1 team will eventually harness the power of machine learning.
"In the F1 lifecycle of the car, we think machine learning is going to benefit how we manufacture the car," said Hackland, who offered insight into some ways algorithms and automation could benefit Williams Martini Racing.
"The decision-making that's made on a daily basis around what you put into the machine shop, the optimum way of designing next year's car, is fairly manual now. We're automating, but machine learning will help us with how we manufacture the car.
"There are lots of areas we can apply machine learning that will feed into Formula 1 and make us more competitive," he added.
When it comes to the technology companies providing the software, Hackland is less interested in the size of the vendor than what they can offer.
"I'm trying to make sure we don't only talk to the established companies that everyone knows but also start-ups," he said, describing how the team's partnership with BT helps in this area.
"Working with people like BT, who go out to Silicon Valley and talk to the start-ups, they can give us access to technology we'd have difficulty finding," Hackland said, adding: "I'm keen not to just use established technology."
Ultimately, if using innovative new technology can help Williams get to pole position, the team wants to use it.
"If it's the reliability of our car, we're not going to take any chances. But why not try bleeding-edge technology in other parts like manufacturing and design and get a jump on the other teams before they use it," said Hackland

LookBackTime

MEXICO GP QUALIFYING

31 OCT 2015
Mexico City
4.304km/2.674kms

Qualifying Notes

Valtteri Bottas qualified sixth and Felipe Massa seventh for tomorrow’s Mexican Grand Prix
Both cars made it safely through Q1 and Q2 as track conditions changed with slight drizzle during Q2
Neither driver was able to improve their time on their second run of Q3

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: We are a little disappointed as we think we could have been a little higher up. Our preparations were as good as they could have been, and we feel we have missed out on fourth and fifth. We are in a good position for the race tomorrow, but we must now focus on the strategy and make sure we take the opportunities on offer. It was so close today and we have just missed out.

Valtteri Bottas: The track has improved a little over the weekend and Qualifying was very close, as we expected. It is a shame Red Bull are in front of us, but we have the advantage of straight-line speed which will help when overtaking. The aim tomorrow is to move forward.

Felipe Massa: We are sixth and seventh so we cannot be too happy with our performance. I did my quickest time on the first set of tyres in Q3. I tried all I could on the second set but I couldn’t improve my time. It sets the beginning of what could be a very difficult race where many things can happen, accidents, cars off the track, rain, so we need to wait and see as it can all change. I hope we can move forward tomorrow.

LookBackTime

MEXICAN GP RACE

01 NOV 2015
Mexico City, Mexico
5.531kms / 3.436 miles

Race Notes:

Valtteri Bottas finished third and Felipe Massa sixth in today’s Mexican Grand Prix.
Both cars had good starts but were caught out when Vettel slowed with a puncture and lost ground to the Red Bulls.
Early pitstops gave the drivers free air to push and each overtook a Red Bull as the pitstops evened out.
A late safety car allowed Felipe and Valtteri to pit for new option tyres and Valtteri took the opportunity to overtake Kvyat at the restart for the final podium spot.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: Overall, it was a positive day. The team equipped itself very well to deal with a new track. In terms of altitude, it’s quite a change from other tracks but we didn’t let it affect us. The Red Bulls were very strong around here so to outscore them is pleasing. We have missed a few podiums over the last few races, so to be back up there is great. We made good strategic calls, both drivers drove exceptionally well and the team as a complete unit operated very well.

Valtteri Bottas: I’m very pleased with the result today. Every decision from the team on strategy was right, so I’m really delighted with what we achieved as a team. It feels so good, after so much bad luck recently and so much hard work, to get the reward. It was a great feeling on the podium, that was very special. Regarding the incident with one of the Ferraris, it was unlucky that it was me and him again but of course I didn’t want it to end up like that.

Felipe Massa: It was a very positive race for the team, to have a good fight with Red Bull and come out with a podium is encouraging on a track that suits them better than it does us. From my perspective it wasn’t the best race, I struggled with the rear tyres in the second stint and lost one position because of it. After the safety car I didn’t have the best run, and as a result didn’t get the chance to pass the cars ahead. I am a little disappointed, but as a team we can be really proud of the performance

LookBackTime

BRAZILIAN GP PRACTICE

Tweet Share on Facebook
13 NOV 2015
Interlagos, Sao Paulo
4.309kms / 2.674 miles

FP1
Air & Track Temperatures: 26-27°C / 35-39°C
V Bottas, FW37-04, PU106B Hybrid 1:14.886 (7th)
F Massa, FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:15.469(17th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton (1:13.543)

FP2
Air & Track Temperatures: 28-29°C / 31-35°C
V Bottas, FW37-04, PU106B Hybrid 1:13.603 (6th)
F Massa, FW37-02, PU106B Hybrid 1:13.870 (10th)
Quickest Time: N. Rosberg (1:12.385)

Objectives: aero evaluations, set-up and tyre work.

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: They were good sessions for us, we had to do quite a lot of work to get the balance right but we have the cars well-tuned in now. Low fuel, for where we usually are on a Friday, was competitive, and we can be happy with our high fuel performance. There are a lot of details to go through as usual, but fundamentally we're very competitive against the people around us in the championship. We're in a good position.

Valtteri Bottas: We got a lot of information about the tyres today, which was the main priority. We got the soft and medium compounds to work well and the long runs felt consistent, so I'm really hopeful that we can be strong this weekend. It was more slippery than last year, but it is the same for everyone and I was quite comfortable.

Felipe Massa: It was a very difficult day. The car was unstable and I struggled to get the grip I wanted at the rear. I don't think I had one clean lap without losing the rear at some point. The surface offers low grip but very high tyre degradation, so the car was sliding a lot. We have a lot of work to do to tonight to make the car a bit easier to drive and more competitive for qualifying tomorrow.

LookBackTime

BT Technology contributing to Williams Martini Racing performance

http://www.globalservices.bt.com/us/en/ ... ini-racing

LookBackTime

BRAZILIAN GP QUALIFYING

Tweet Share on Facebook
14 NOV 2015
Interlagos, Sao Paulo
4.309kms / 2.677 miles

Qualifying Notes
• Valtteri Bottas qualified fourth and Felipe Massa eighth for tomorrow's Brazilian Grand Prix
• Valtteri will start the race from seventh on the grid, following a three-place grid penalty for overtaking under a red flag in practice on Friday
• Both drivers improved their lap times in each qualifying session, but traffic cost Felipe time in both Q2 and Q3

Temperature: Air: 29-30°C, Track: 45-51°C

Q1
V. Bottas: 1:12.934 (9th)
F. Massa: 1:12.980 (10th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton 1:11.682

Q2
V. Bottas: 1:12.373 (5th)
F. Massa: 1:12.858 (10th)
Quickest Time: L. Hamilton 1:11.665

Q3
V. Bottas: 1:12.085 (4th)
F. Massa: 1:12.415 (8th)
Quickest Time: N. Rosberg 1:11.282

Rob Smedley, Head of Performance Engineering: Valtteri got all he could out of the car, but Felipe is still missing a little bit so we need to understand why. We now have to focus on the race. The championship position is a priority and we're in a good position against Red Bull. We need to push on and come out of this race with more points than them, and see what we can do about Ferrari. That's an important target for us in the next two races.

Valtteri Bottas: It was a good qualifying session. I felt more and more comfortable with the car as the grip of the track increased. It's always a good feeling when you have got the maximum out of the car. It was good to have one quicker car behind, which is always nice. With the penalty I'm starting seventh but we can do a lot of good things from there, it's a long race and we have good race pace.

Felipe Massa: The struggles I had yesterday are still there. We have made changes but I am still losing time in sector two. Normally I don't have any issues on this track but for some reason it's not working for me. We will have to look and see where we can gain some time with the limited options available now. The fans will give me such a boost tomorrow so I hope it can be the deciding factor and things will be in my favour.

bill shoe

Congrats Williams on a very solid 3rd place Constructors!! No luck involved, just consistently the third-best team of the season in terms of pace, reliability, and points. Many hungry teams behind them! Many of those teams with much higher funding and/or manufacturer links of some kind. Woo Hoo !! =D> =D>

LookBackTime

Sevach

Although 3rd is a good result, i have to say that it's a bit disapointing to see that the gap to Mercedes has widened significantly this season.

LookBackTime

Williams to appeal Massa's exclusion from F1 Brazilian Grand Prix
By Lawrence Barretto Sunday, November 15th 2015, 21:19 GMT

Williams is appealing Felipe Massa's exclusion from Formula 1's Brazilian Grand Prix because it has three independent sensors that prove his tyre temperatures were within the prescribed limits.

As per the regulations, the tyre temperatures on a number of cars were taken after the five-minute signal prior to the start of the race.

The right-rear on Massa's Williams was measured at 137 degrees centigrade, 27 degrees above the maximum limit set by Pirelli, while the corresponding tyre pressure was 0.1psi above the minimum.

As a result, the FIA chose to exclude Massa, who had crossed the line eighth in his home race, from the results but Williams has appealed.

"The notice of appeal that we will make is based around the fact we have three independent temperature readings and all of them say how we are within the limits set by Pirelli and the prescriptions for this event," said Williams performance chief Rob Smedley.

"They explained to us that this is the reference measurement because it is the FIA measurement so this is the one that counts.

"The other three we have are of less consequence."

Smedley said the data from the team's independent sensor, one of which he says is exactly the same as the one the FIA uses, show the temperature to be significantly lower than the FIA's reading.

"If you read the document, the right rear tyre of car 19, Massa, on the FIA IR Gun read 137 degrees.

"We have two independent sensors, the first one is the PT1000 which sits inside the tyre blanket and tells us what the surface temperature is and that one was always in compliance with the regulations.

"The last time we could read it, when they took the set off to the grid, it was about 104 degrees.

"The next independent measure we have is from the car data, this is a completely independent measure and the right rear tyre of Massa's car was 105.7C.

Smedley, Massa, Williams, Brazil

"So we have two independent sensors which both say we were in compliance with the regulations and we have data to back that up.

"In addition, we have had independent correlation from our blanket temperature sensors and car temperature sensors to the FIA guns, which Pirelli did for us after all the fuss with Mercedes in Italy.

"We have also bought exactly the same sensor that the FIA uses and we do random checks throughout the weekend to make sure this does not happen.

"For us it's quite critical for us that we understand where his problem is.

"We have three independent temperature measures and none of them give anything like the measure the FIA took on the grid."

When asked if the tyre pressure reading should have been higher if the FIA's alleged tyre temperature is correct, Smedley said: "Yeah, it should be.

"If it was 27C higher, we would see that. You're probably talking around two and a half to three psi higher. But the bleed the engineer did on the grid was entirely normal."

djos

Great, more proof the FiA have no friggin clue what they are doing!
"In downforce we trust"

bill shoe

Hmmm. It's odd to exclude a car from a Formula 1 race based on one measurement of a tire's surface temp with a (presumably) hand-held IR gun by a Scrutineer who probably does not do IR measurements as part of their day job.

It's also interesting that all this occurred before the formation lap began. So if the FIA is really going to stick to their guns (ha ha, literally) on this in the future, then logically if any car has a single failed measurement per the FIA gun within the 5-minute window then the FIA should exclude it immediately before the race begins. Any fault with that logic?

MrNoo

It just goes to show what a farce F1 is becoming. Well done Williams for 3rd, much deserved and long may you continue to be near the front.