Lotus F1 Team 2015

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
nanocustic

Re: Lotus F1 Team 2015

Financial struggles made this chassis not developable, but yes I think its a definitive step forwards from the cars Kimi used to drive.
Meliora

NL_Fer

So, what if Ghosn bails out, after seeing zero progress from the engine introduced in Brasil. What engine will they run in 2016, the Merc already went to Manor.

bdeitemeyer

NL_Fer wrote:So, what if Ghosn bails out, after seeing zero progress from the engine introduced in Brasil. What engine will they run in 2016, the Merc already went to Manor.
According to TJ13 awhile back, the team still has the option to run a Merc engine. Not sure how that would affect Manor, but I think Manor & Merc are counting on Lotus/Renault to not use the option.

FW17

bdeitemeyer wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:So, what if Ghosn bails out, after seeing zero progress from the engine introduced in Brasil. What engine will they run in 2016, the Merc already went to Manor.
According to TJ13 awhile back, the team still has the option to run a Merc engine. Not sure how that would affect Manor, but I think Manor & Merc are counting on Lotus/Renault to not use the option.

Honda

nanocustic

From motorsport.com:
However, Abiteboul suggested that there could be some interesting branding associated with the makeover of his outfit.

“We know what we want,” said Abiteboul. “We have a strategy in terms of naming, and we know why we would be entering F1 and to promote which brand."

“Renault is a halo brand but there are other brands associated to that. But I will not say anything in relation to that because that will be part of the announcement.
Is there a possibility that Renault could enter as Alpine? or Infinity?
Meliora

7ka

....or maybe Nissan :wink:

basti313

Yes, Nissan is the rumor that is reported at the moment.
But I do not think, that there would be any sort of competitiveness with the Renault engine. The chassis is nowhere, no money and no progress. If they go for Nissan, I would not be surprised f they come up with a brand new Nissan engine, which is so different, that they could not build it by using tokens for the Renault. This would fit the non-development through the season by Renault.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ScottB

basti313 wrote:Yes, Nissan is the rumor that is reported at the moment.
But I do not think, that there would be any sort of competitiveness with the Renault engine. The chassis is nowhere, no money and no progress. If they go for Nissan, I would not be surprised f they come up with a brand new Nissan engine, which is so different, that they could not build it by using tokens for the Renault. This would fit the non-development through the season by Renault.
But don't the rules say you can only homologate one engine design per company. I'm not sure they could claim Nissan was a distinct, separate company to make that work.

I would think they are likely to do something similar to last time, leave the name alone for a year or two till they build the team up, then change. You could make a case for any of Renault, Alpine, Nissan or Infiniti as lead brand. Team name Alpine and Renault badged engines might make sense, if you go with Nissan or Infiniti, it wouldn't be as easy to tack Renault on the end...

adrianjordan

ScottB wrote:
But don't the rules say you can only homologate one engine design per company. I'm not sure they could claim Nissan was a distinct, separate company to make that work.

I would think they are likely to do something similar to last time, leave the name alone for a year or two till they build the team up, then change. You could make a case for any of Renault, Alpine, Nissan or Infiniti as lead brand. Team name Alpine and Renault badged engines might make sense, if you go with Nissan or Infiniti, it wouldn't be as easy to tack Renault on the end...

What exactly are the rules as regards what constitutes a new engine manufacturer though?

Cos if Renault left and then Alpine entered then, yes they are the same company effectively when it comes to road cars, but I'm sure there's a work around possible in a similar vein to Red Bull Racing being a sub-company of Red Bull Technology or however that's set up.

I could see them going Renaul Alpine in the same way that it's Mercedes AMG...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

FW17

Nissan LMP is probably done

basti313

ScottB wrote:

Hard to say if the rules cover this...I think it is a philosophical question if Nissan is a new manufacturer or not and in the end they can always say..."take Nissan as a new manufacturer or do it without us". This will end up with Nissan taken as a new manufacturer.

Why do you think they will use Alpine? They are not building Alpine road cars.
Don`t russel the hamster!

ScottB

basti313 wrote:
ScottB wrote:

Hard to say if the rules cover this...I think it is a philosophical question if Nissan is a new manufacturer or not and in the end they can always say..."take Nissan as a new manufacturer or do it without us". This will end up with Nissan taken as a new manufacturer.

Why do you think they will use Alpine? They are not building Alpine road cars.
A new Alpine roadcar is coming next year. Originally it was a joint venture with Caterham, who would have launched their own car on the same platform, but the deal collapsed.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-c ... re-special

Couldn't hurt to give the brand some exposure!

7ka

Let's be honest use of the name Nissan in F1 it would be a great marketing move! =D>

stefan_

Alpine is a good idea, but I prefer the good old Renault name back as a team.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

kptaylor

Well, technically Nissan is a different manufacturer. They collaborate in the Renault-Nissan alliance with each owning 43% of the other, and with Daimler owning ~3%. Could they claim Nissan was a different entity from Renault? Maybe.