Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
checkered

I had no idea such a

project existed! Not very easy to find information about it either, compared to the general availability of automotive information online these days. Edit: It does have that early nineties, perhaps late eighties "car of the future" air about it. It's hard to put your finger on what it is, specifically, perhaps the somewhat expressive but unpronounced lines or the overall plastic like feel of it. Of course the lighting, setting and colour balance in that photo is also pure early '90's.

Image routed from http://www.autoblog.it
http://www.autoblog.it/post/5992/concep ... ha-ox99-11

ackzsel

First of all, I really think this is a very inovative idea and therefore I find it very. VERY cool.

.... but doen't it prevent a clear air flow underneath the car? Ground effect is very important for downforce.

Maybe it also makes it more difficult to place the mandatory ballast, but that can be sorted out.

Stil a very cool idea.
checkered wrote:I had no idea such a

project existed! Not very easy to find information about it either, compared to the general availability of automotive information online these days. Edit: It does have that early nineties, perhaps late eighties "car of the future" air about it. It's hard to put your finger on what it is, specifically, perhaps the somewhat expressive but unpronounced lines or the overall plastic like feel of it. Of course the lighting, setting and colour balance in that photo is also pure early '90's.

http://www.autoblog.it/post/5992/concep ... ha-ox99-11
This is more like just a wing, Manchild's design picks up the air from below, not from the front.

Carlos

Short history of the Yamaha OX99-11
http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2006/ ... -supercar/

The current wing could be widened and another mounted beneath it. That's getting closer to MC's idea.

modbaraban

The original idea by Manchild seems similar to this, doesn't it?
With low nose the bridged wing may be set to produce similar effect I think. Especially if it has such a wide profile as the version showed by Williams.

Any idea why they abandoned it (so far). It wasn't used in Spa, Fuji and this pic below is from Shanghai.

coreybaxter

concept

As for the bridge wing it basic concept is to direct air into the engine cooling components...sidepods...but can be used for downforce at high downforce tracks.

coreybaxter

concept

the idea is intellegent but remember that not all parts of the car need to be designed for downforce...or push air upward to create result. The nose cone is vital in getting air to the bottom of the car allowing for the ground effect to take place.

scarbs

Re: concept

coreybaxter wrote:As for the bridge wing it basic concept is to direct air into the engine cooling components...sidepods...but can be used for downforce at high downforce tracks.
Eh...!

coreybaxter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

coreybaxter wrote:
As for the bridge wing it basic concept is to direct air into the engine cooling components...sidepods...but can be used for downforce at high downforce tracks.

Eh...!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check this website out....for my explanation...of the wing being used to direct air into sidepods for engine cooling.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/ ... 2/468.html

PNSD

Oh, my guess is that the clever mr scarbs finds that hard to believe lol.

AeroGT3

MMUK wrote:
modbaraban wrote: It would be perfect to have a model of an existing car to run it with and without the aperture to see the difference. 8)
yer that would be ideal 8)

but running a full car requires serious computing power to achieve reasonable results!
I'm interested in the outcome, and I have the computing resources to handle full car models with several tens of millions of cells. If you are serious about getting a model run, PM me and we can talk. I use Fluent.

LoudHoward

I've been lurking here for a while but this thread has made me sign up :) I read it a while ago then left it, but someone at the Williams sportnetwork site posted a link to some old Patrick Head interview about the team done at the start of 2004 (Year of the Walrus), and one particular paragraph made me come flying back here:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/alumni/alumni-news ... -2004/head
WilliamsF1 now employs more than 500 people at their state-of-the-art factory in Oxfordshire – the heart of the Formula 1 industry. More than 60 of them are employed in the wind tunnel group alone, comprising aerodynamicists, experimental aerodynamicists, technicians and model makers. The group works to the very limit of what is technologically possible, taking concepts to prototype stage incredibly quickly. This commitment lies behind the radical design of this year’s new car, the FW26. Patrick explains: “Looking at the car for this year, it’s got a very unusual nose. It came out of a development that started two years ago where we were looking to bleed air up from the upper surface of the wing, up through the nose and over the top of the car. We started with a fairly conventional-looking nose with a big hole in the middle, then as that developed we ended up taking the front bit away, resulting in what we’ve got now.”
Sounds familiar eh? :D

manchild

:shock:

Ok, so I came up with half of the work done by "More than 60 of them..."

Cost cutting :arrow: sack more than 30 of them and hire manchild :lol:

Thanks for sharing. Was there any illustration or photo along with Head's quote?

*I had Walrus idea some 3-4 years before it appeared on Williams but I though it is "ugly" and never showed it to anyone :oops: Image

LoudHoward

Unfortunately there was just a picture of Patrick, something I don't want to share around to people :D I'm not a meany.

zac510

manchild wrote::shock:

Ok, so I came up with half of the work done by "More than 60 of them..."

Cost cutting :arrow: sack more than 30 of them and hire manchild :lol:

Thanks for sharing. Was there any illustration or photo along with Head's quote?
Unfortunatly manchild what you expect your creation to do and what Williams are aiming to do with their front wing are completely different things.

In any case this style of front nose was used successfully on the XJR6 onwards sportscars in the late 80s/early 90s, as designed by Tony Southgate/TWR.

Ciro Pabón

Well, I've been nagging Manchild to come back. I hope he continues to post.

So, sorry, flyn, AeroGT, it doesn't seem OK with everybody, but frankly, the forum has become a little lame.

Now, all I need is Reca back to share with an irredent tifosi... :)

Welcome, LoudHoward, thank you very much for the info.
Ciro