Manor Marussia MR03B Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Hail22

Re: Manor Marussia MR03B Ferrari

Suzuka Japan - Thursday

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

novenpeter

Hail22

Brasil GP - Wednesday

If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Hail22

Abu Dhabi - Thursday

Gilles Villeneuve

andylaurence

As the MR03 thread is locked and this is the same car anyway, here's some info on the rear wings of the MR03 used in the wind tunnel...

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the first in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with a matching flap. Strangely, unlike all the other wings, this one is not unique in shape as it shares a part number with another wing, although this one has been modified to have two under-wing mounts rather than just the one, whereas the other example was machined for two mounts from the start. Only one wing mount is fitted.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the second in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale. Strangely, unlike all the other wings, this one is not unique in shape as it shares a part number with another wing. Whilst the other one has been modified to have two under-wing mounts rather than just the one, this one was machined for two mounts from the start. No wing mounts are fitted.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the third in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with the mounts for a matching flap. No wing mounts are fitted, but it has recesses for two mounts.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the fourth in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with side mounts for a flap. Like the previous wings, the profile is fixed across the span. No wing mounts are fitted, but there are fittings for either a dual mount or a single. This wing is unique in that it is the only one still fitted with its billet machined DRS actuator mount.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the fifth in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with no flap. There are mounts on the underside for either dual pillars or single pillars. No wing mounts are fitted. This wing was used in the same work package as wing #4 and it’s likely they were tested in the wind tunnel on the same day.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the sixth in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with a matching but not attached flap. It has a large central mount on the underside in a break from the previous designs. There is a slight variation in the profile throughout the span and this is the first wing of that type. The central section of around 180mm has a lower angle of attack than the outer parts. Like the other main planes, it has a span of 363mm and a chord of 146mm. The flap is fitted with a small gurney flap 3D printed using SLA and attached with double-sided tape and aluminium tape.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the seventh in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here without a flap. It has a large central mount on the underside in common with wing #6. Given the serial numbers, it is likely that these two wings were tested together. There is a slight variation in the profile throughout the span and this is the second wing of that type. The central section of around 180mm has a lower angle of attack than the outer parts. Where this differs from the previous wing is that the reduction in angle of attack is achieved both through the lowering of the trailing edge and the raising of the leading edge. Like the other main planes, it has a span of 363mm and a chord of 146mm. The SLA 3D printed gurney flaps for the second element are taped to the main plane.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the ninth in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with a matching flap. It has a large central mount on the underside similar to the previous designs. There is a slight variation in the profile throughout the span and this is the second in the second batch of wings of that type. It is likely that this wing was tested with wings #8 and #10 from the serial numbers.

The central section of around 180mm has a lower angle of attack than the outer parts. Like #8, this is achieved with a lower trailing edge and a higher leading edge. The secondary element has a profile to match to match the main plane, but the trailing edge is flat. The camber of the wing as a whole is therefore greater in the central section than at the edges. The trailing edge has two V-section cutouts.

Like the other main planes, it has a span of 363mm and a chord of 146mm. The flap is fitted with a small gurney flap 3D printed using SLA and attached with double-sided tape and aluminium tape.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the tenth in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with a matching flap. It has a large central mount on the underside similar to the previous designs. There is a slight variation in the profile throughout the span and this is the third in the second batch of wings of that type. It is likely that this wing was tested with wings #8 and #9 from the serial numbers.

The central section of around 180mm has a lower angle of attack than the outer parts. Like #9, this is achieved with a lower trailing edge and a higher leading edge. The secondary element has a profile to match to match the main plane, but the trailing edge is flat. The camber of the wing as a whole is therefore greater in the central section than at the edges.

Like the other main planes, it has a span of 363mm and a chord of 146mm. The flap is fitted with a small gurney flap 3D printed using SLA and attached with double-sided tape

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the eleventh in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with a matching flap. It has a large central mount on the underside similar to the two previous designs. There is a slight variation in the profile throughout the span and this is the first in the last batch of wings from 2014. It is likely that this wing was tested with wings #12 and #13.

The central section of around 180mm has a lower angle of attack than the outer parts. Like several others, this is achieved with a lower trailing edge and a higher leading edge. The secondary element has a profile to match to match the main plane, but the trailing edge is flat. The camber of the wing as a whole is therefore greater in the central section than at the edges.

Like the other main planes, it has a span of 363mm and a chord of 146mm. The flap is fitted with a small gurney flap 3D printed using SLA and attached with double-sided tape and aluminium tape.

andylaurence

Sixteen wings were made for the 2014 season. Whilst 3 are in other collections, this is the twelfth in my collection. Like all but the first wings, it’s entirely machined from billet in 50% scale and shown here with a matching flap. It has a large central mount on the underside similar to the two previous designs. There is a slight variation in the profile throughout the span and this is the second in the last batch of wings from 2014. It is likely that this wing was tested with wings #11 and #13.

The central section of around 180mm has a lower angle of attack than the outer parts. Like several others, this is achieved with a lower trailing edge and a higher leading edge. The secondary element has a profile to match to match the main plane, but the trailing edge is flat. The camber of the wing as a whole is therefore greater in the central section than at the edges.