Ferrari 667 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
bhall II

Ferrari 667 Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2016 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

It will be the first Ferrari developed from start to finish under the direction of James Allison (SF15-T was initiated by Tombazis/Fry).

Given the development arrangement between Ferrari and Haas, it's possible the car will bear a striking resemblance to the Haas iteration seen below, especially around the front.
bhall II wrote:Image

Though rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari ditches the front pull rod suspension in a bid to reduce weight and make it easier to set up. This is based on my view that it's possible any advantages gained from the pull rod layout were neutralized by steps taken to increase installation stiffness this year - seen below as thicker members (hehe).

And it will be interesting to see how the rear of the car pans out, given a slimmer ICE and the evolution of a cooling package that doesn't require a lot of open bodywork to optimize mass flow through the system.

via planetF1.com

turbof1

Re: Scuderia Ferrari 667 Speculation Thread

Edited name and added a description in the first post.
#AeroFrodo

wuzak

Re: Ferrari 667 Speculation Thread

I hope they revive one of Ferrari's previous naming conventions and call it the 166T3.

16 for 1.6l and 6 for 6 cylinders, T for turbo, 3 for third evolution.

Crucial_Xtreme

wuzak wrote:I hope they revive one of Ferrari's previous naming conventions and call it the 166T3.

Agreed! I'd much rather it be 166T3 instead of SF-16T

wuzak

bhall II wrote:This is the speculation thread about the 2016 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.

It will be the first Ferrari developed from start to finish under the direction of James Allison (SF15-T was initiated by Tombazis/Fry).

Given the development arrangement between Ferrari and Haas, it's possible the car will bear a striking resemblance to the Haas iteration seen below, especially around the front.
Though rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari ditches the front pull rod suspension in a bid to reduce weight and make it easier to set up. This is based on my view that it's possible any advantages gained from the pull rod layout were neutralized by steps taken to increase installation stiffness this year - seen below as thicker members (hehe).

http://i.imgur.com/ljFCzNm.jpg

And it will be interesting to see how the rear of the car pans out, given a slimmer ICE and the evolution of a cooling package that doesn't require a lot of open bodywork to optimize mass flow through the system.

http://planetf1.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 00x367.jpg
via planetF1.com
Good opening post Ben.

Interesting that those two studies show a short nose, unlike the one the SF-15T sported. It looks like a neater solution than those like the Williams and STR.

The biggest problem with the pull-rod suspension has been the geometry used. The F14T looks particularly bad, while the SF-15T improved things appreciably with its lower mounting points.

If the lower weight of teh push-rod system can be realised then it will certainly be worth it.

TzeiTzei

Is there any logic behind the way Ferrari names their cars?

ripper

SF15-T should be Scuderia Ferrari 2015 Turbo

F1NAC

I liked the pattern with F and following year or last two digits like F10

skoop

TzeiTzei wrote:Is there any logic behind the way Ferrari names their cars?
afaik there isn't. every name has a meaning behind it, but you can't say "this year the car is called xxx and that's why next years car is going to be called yyy"

Cold Fussion

wuzak wrote:I hope they revive one of Ferrari's previous naming conventions and call it the 166T3.

I think Ferrari should name their F1 cars after different American pickup trucks each year, as an honour to Ford.

SiLo

Cold Fussion wrote:

I think Ferrari should name their F1 cars after different American pickup trucks each year, as an honour to Ford.
For not buying them? Or for the 50th anniversary of the Le Mans win?
Felipe Baby!

ME4ME

wuzak wrote:The biggest problem with the pull-rod suspension has been the geometry used. The F14T looks particularly bad, while the SF-15T improved things appreciably with its lower mounting points.

If the lower weight of teh push-rod system can be realised then it will certainly be worth it.
I agree, it seems likely they'll switch to push-rod, but I think for a different reason.

Earlier this year when most teams switched to short noses it was questioned why Ferrari didn't follow. Rumor was chassi height and suspension setup didn't allow them to go as short as needed for any advantage to be gained. Red Bull tried their short nose version for the first time in Barcelona iirc, but didn't get it fully working until Silverstone, at which point it started working really well and a clear step forward could be seen.

It makes sense that this could trigger a change of philosophy at Ferrari. From 2014 to 2015 there was no switch because they rightfully argued it wouldn't be time well spend to change their design, there was no substantial advantage to be obtained. Now there is. So I fully expect them to mimic what Red Bull have done. And with unlimited wind tunnel time at Haas, they probably have spend all summer trying to achieve the results which Red Bull needed half the year for to achieve.

Gridlock

SiLo wrote:
Cold Fussion wrote: I think Ferrari should name their F1 cars after different American pickup trucks each year, as an honour to Ford.
For not buying them? Or for the 50th anniversary of the Le Mans win?
Referring to 2011: http://is.gd/BdQ2nf

Pilatus

bhall II wrote: Though rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated over the last few years, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari ditches the front pull rod suspension in a bid to reduce weight and make it easier to set up. This is based on my view that it's possible any advantages gained from the pull rod layout were neutralized by steps taken to increase installation stiffness this year - seen below as thicker members (hehe).

http://i.imgur.com/ljFCzNm.jpg
F14 had separated steering rod.

SF-15 had steering rod integrated with the upper wishbone:

Hence the thicker member.
Stiffnes wasn't an issue. :mrgreen:

On a few occasions, Ferrari guys said that front suspension in total wasn't an issue or problematic part of SF-15T design.

And IMHO, SF-15 front suspension is more "aero friendly" than any other F1 car.
Integrated steering rod (like most other teams), single piece lower wishbone (like Mercedes), and pull rod (like no other team).

And with all that in mind, i hope that Ferrari will retain front pull rod concept.

denisjp

I read on an Italian website that Ferrari is going to adopt a nose resembling more or less the STR10 one.