Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2016 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.
#AeroFrodo

Gridlock

Re: Red Bull RB12 Speculation Thread

Seeing how the rumour is that Ecclestone was going to buy Renaults and re-sell them to RBR - before RBR and Renault signed this 'Mecachrome' deal - I think we've missed the opportunity to see Red Bull Brabhams :(

Most interesting question currently for me, given the numerous confusing things Sky reported over the weekend; what is the manufacturer status of their non-Renault Renault PU? Do they get a similar deal to Honda in terms of tokens for next year? Or are 'both' Renault PUs locked into identical development paths? Or just the ICE? #-o

wuzak

Gridlock wrote:Seeing how the rumour is that Ecclestone was going to buy Renaults and re-sell them to RBR - before RBR and Renault signed this 'Mecachrome' deal - I think we've missed the opportunity to see Red Bull Brabhams :(

Most interesting question currently for me, given the numerous confusing things Sky reported over the weekend; what is the manufacturer status of their non-Renault Renault PU? Do they get a similar deal to Honda in terms of tokens for next year? Or are 'both' Renault PUs locked into identical development paths? Or just the ICE? #-o
Firstly, Bernie no longer owns the Brabham name.

Secondly, I doubtthere is a "Mecachrome" deal. They have signed with Renault and will get what Renault give them. That is not to say the power unit won't be rebadged on the Red Bull.

Horner said on the weekend that the deal was a transitional one, for 2016 only.

Gridlock

wuzak wrote:Horner said on the weekend that the deal was a transitional one, for 2016 only.
Yes I noticed that too. I wonder if Honda said 'no, but..'

Skippon

Its a 2016 only deal 'cos that was when their original deal was due to run too..... only difference is that due to their shenanigans RB are now paying a hefty price. I guess we have to go all through this again for their 2017 supply before the proposed engine rule changes happen for 2018!!

aleks_ader

New leak behing scenes of the new PU: :D
https://twitter.com/redbullracing/statu ... 5256020992
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Jolle

aleks_ader wrote:New leak behing scenes of the new PU: :D

Seeing that the team is still called "Infiniti Red Bull", and Renault having a 44% share in Nissan/Infiniti, it looks like a Renault PU with a TAG/Infiniti branding.

Gridlock

Jolle wrote:Seeing that the team is still called "Infiniti Red Bull", and Renault having a 44% share in Nissan/Infiniti, it looks like a Renault PU with a TAG/Infiniti branding.
The sponsor part of the title can be changed at will, they're not entered as Infiniti Red Bull. The TAG thing is looking quite likely though.

djos

"Swiss engineering" is clearly code for Mario Illien
"In downforce we trust"

MattyT

djos wrote:

"Swiss engineering" is clearly code for Mario Illien
#notsureifserious :?

Or it could be code for TAG, as in "swiss made", as in.... like the watch :wink:

djos

We already know Mario it's involved in improving the Renault PU after Renault proved themselves completely incapable so imo it's got double meaning.

The TAG meaning is obvious by the branding used in the teaser.
"In downforce we trust"

Gridlock

To be fair we don't know that the Ilmor work is involved at all, for all we know they could be taking a Renault ICE and doing their own thing with the ES and MGU side, we know they have good form with supercaps and wotnot. And the image, cheeky as it is, is on the face of it just them welcoming a new sponsor.

In any event if you accept that they were waiting for the Renault/Enstone news before announcing what they're up to then all should become clear in the next few days, hopefully.

djos

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)
"In downforce we trust"

Mark4211

Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer RB12 for 2016.
Power unit will be supplied by Renault with TAG Heuer naming/branding.

http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/a ... everything

Webber2011

Mark4211 wrote:Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer RB12 for 2016.
Power unit will be supplied by Renault with TAG Heuer naming/branding.

http://www.infiniti-redbullracing.com/a ... everything
"We are also pleased to see Renault confirm its long-term commitment to F1 and would like to thank them for their contribution to the team since 2007. Their technical partnership with Ilmor gives us confidence, and we look forward to the 2016 season."

This answers a lot of questions, but also leaves a few unanswered for me.