Manor MRT05 Mercedes Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
turbof1

Manor MRT05 Mercedes Speculation Thread

This is the speculation thread about the 2016 car. Rumors, articles, ideas and fantasies about the car can be posted here. Once the car gets officially launched, this thread will be closed and discussion continues in the official thread.
#AeroFrodo

MrCelroy

Re: Manor/Marussia MR04 Mercedes Speculation Thread

The car might possibly be called the Manor MNR1 as a continuation of the unreleased 2015 car they were working on and also due to the probable absence of the Marussia name for the team.
Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!

davidfroshanzen

Hopefully mercedez engine can raise up performance this team next year,,, get point and 10 potition in constuctur maybe is realistic target,,,

F1NAC

davidfroshanzen wrote:Hopefully mercedez engine can raise up performance this team next year,,, get point and 10 potition in constuctur maybe is realistic target,,,
Dont know how will this team work without Lowdon and Booth.

wuzak

davidfroshanzen wrote:Hopefully mercedez engine can raise up performance this team next year,,, get point and 10 potition in constuctur maybe is realistic target,,,
Sounds like 2014 performance.

Except there is no Caterham to beat next year.

Stalker1

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121575

Well, time will tell, how thing settle down at Marussia. However, I do not believe that the deals with Mercedes and Williams would significantly improve the pace of Manors cars. Sauber in this season according to my knowledge had the same engine as the works team, but as the season progressed, the lack of development from the chassis side due to shortage of money lead to situation collecting points proved difficult. I think that they will be quicker, they will be more closer to the pack, probably in the first stages of the season they are able to pesk Sauber and Renault, but thats all. Later the lack of development money will show.

I really hope that they are going to improve and challenge the midfield, but common sense dictates, this is not going to happen.

wuzak

Stalker1 wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/121575

Well, time will tell, how thing settle down at Marussia. However, I do not believe that the deals with Mercedes and Williams would significantly improve the pace of Manors cars. Sauber in this season according to my knowledge had the same engine as the works team, but as the season progressed, the lack of development from the chassis side due to shortage of money lead to situation collecting points proved difficult. I think that they will be quicker, they will be more closer to the pack, probably in the first stages of the season they are able to pesk Sauber and Renault, but thats all. Later the lack of development money will show.

I really hope that they are going to improve and challenge the midfield, but common sense dictates, this is not going to happen.
Manor were using a year old car with a year old engine (the worst of 2014's PUs).

Just upgrading to a current Mercedes PU will bring a lot of lap time, as will the upgrade to a new chassis.

livinglikethathuh

Manor/Marussia MR04 Mercedes Speculation Thread

Why do people over at the McHonda MP4-31 thread say that the chassis will improve drastically with a stronger engine, but everyone's skeptical with Manor?
They're getting a much bigger increase in power than Honda will ever get over the winter, and although they are much more constrained than McLaren are at the moment, I think Manor can find some decent lap time in the chassis too.
Once again, I know Manor chassis development is not as strong as McLaren, but still they can find something. Many things.

Edit: Manor, not Marussia.

davidfroshanzen

livinglikethathuh wrote:Why do people over at the McHonda MP4-31 thread say that the chassis will improve drastically with a stronger engine, but everyone's skeptical with Manor?
They're getting a much bigger increase in power than Honda will ever get over the winter, and although they are much more constrained than McLaren are at the moment, I think Manor can find some decent lap time in the chassis too.
Once again, I know Manor chassis development is not as strong as McLaren, but still they can find something. Many things.

Cause with marusia 2014 with the same machine they slower 2sec ,,,, chasis and electronica very bad compared. Marusia,,,

Joseki

livinglikethathuh wrote:Why do people over at the McHonda MP4-31 thread say that the chassis will improve drastically with a stronger engine, but everyone's skeptical with Manor?

Because McLaren has an enormous budget, probably one of the best factory in F1, two world champions, Honda focusing just on them and Peter Prodromou.

f1316

Sure, but we're not talking about the same targets for manor as mclaren - rather, the same amount of improvement. I'd suggest that, since the mclaren chassis was already decent/pretty good (depending on opinion) and because the Mercedes PU is a known quantity (Honda may make a massive improvement, but equally they may not), manor's lap time gain is actually likely to be even greater.

They will, of course, not be on the pace, but significant achievement for them is to get up to the back of the field - if they qualify to Q2 on sheer pace it will be the first time and a huge improvement.

Someone made the Sauber analogy: Sauber scored lots of points in 2015 despite slipping back relative to the field. Manor don't have the infrastructure of Sauber but if they can even get close to challenging them then that's massive .

scarbs

We already know quite a bit about the direction Manor were going to take, as we saw the unraced 2015 car wind tunnel model.
This was going to run the Ferrari rear end with a shorter wheel base (than the 2014 car), by removing the roll hoop mounted oil cooler, to allow the fuel tank to be shorter and taller. The oil cooler being repositioned STR style with rhomboid cooler flanking the engine.
We also know the team will now run the Mercedes PU with the Williams gearbox and suspension.
The Merc PU set up is different to the Ferrari, Merc place most of the ancillaries in front of the IC engine, meaning the fuel tank needs lots of relief to fit the compressor, airbox inlet, control electronics and battery. Ferrari pretty much only house the battery in the fuel tank area, allowing a short tank thus pushing the engine forward along the wheelbase. Ferrari also provide the Mezzo water intercooler, fitted in the V of the engine, as opposed to the Merc customers who tend to run air intercooler sin the sidepod. Countering that slightly is Ferrari’s larger electronics package which goes in the sidepods.
So Manor’s challenge will be to get the desired wheelbase and engine position. Mercs own powertrain set up is quite short, so using Williams gearbox should mean the length is greater by having a longer gearbox case. So the tub will no doubt have to retain a longer fuel tank, with a large space underneath for all the Mercedes gubbins.
We haven’t seen a roll hoop fed oil cooler on the Merc PU installation, the Merc has a very bulky plenum, but the concept could work and will free up space in the sidepods. No doubt the Merc ERS water cooler will take its customary position above the gearbox, again fed from the roll hoop.
The front of the tub needs to be cleaned up from the interim 2015 spec, I’d be surprised if they go for a short nose, due to the resources that will suck up to get past crash testing, unless there’s some Williams cooperation there. As Williams have a very clever and different nose structure to all the other teams.
The inboard suspension, will need developing, as the teams fledgling FRIC set up using telescoping pushrods was discarded and a parts bin set up refitted to the car when FRIC was banned mid 2014. I doubt they’ve had time or budget to develop this area in 2015.
This will be critical to manage ride height for a more raked set up. As will time in Williams tunnel developing the aero, which is still quite a step behind most of the grid.

turbof1

#AeroFrodo

NathanOlder

Nice to see them pass the crash test by mid Jan. Looking hopeful for the firat test now. Hope they make the jump to catch Sauber & Co.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

godlameroso

I wonder what influence Tombazis will have on the chassis throughout the year.
Saishū kōnā