2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Raleigh

Re: 2016 Manor Racing F1 Team - Mercedes

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/146 ... consultant

Yes, first Tombazis and now Fry, I'm really quite impressed with the team Manor is putting together.

FW17

Seems like moving graeme lowdon and john booth out of the team has really worked well for them

Manoah2u

first see then believe.

where does all the money suddenly come from?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

r.t.1.n

now the only thing they need is good and talented Driver like Jules
for example kevin Magnussen alongside pascal wehrlein

ajprice

r.t.1.n wrote:now the only thing they need is good and talented Driver like Jules
for example kevin Magnussen alongside pascal wehrlein
Or Alonso, to finish the Ferrari 2014 club :D .

Manor are doing some good things though, McLaren might be getting worried after their first year with Honda.

proteus

ajprice seriously take a look at what u wrote. Mclaren is supposed to get worried about Manor getting better than them? Mclaren had less hp to work with atleast half of the season and they were on average still 2-2.5 seconds faster than Manor. The closest Manor got was 1.4 seconds with steady and reliable engine. Since Honda aparently resolved problems with deployment and turbo i guess they have nothing to fear.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

ajprice

That was last year, with a modified 2014 car and 2014 Ferrari engines. Now they have:

A new car
This year's Mercedes engines
Transmission and suspension parts from Williams
Pat Fry and Nikolas Tombazis.

Maybe they will be at the back of the grid again, maybe McLaren have sorted their engines out, but you can't dismiss the steps Manor have made.

dodds_turbo

Pat Fry also joining Manor Racing as an Engineering Consultant. They are certainly attracting some big names this season.

http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/17581/ ... uring-2016

r.t.1.n

ajprice wrote:That was last year, with a modified 2014 car and 2014 Ferrari engines. Now they have:

A new car
This year's Mercedes engines
Transmission and suspension parts from Williams
Pat Fry and Nikolas Tombazis.

Maybe they will be at the back of the grid again, maybe McLaren have sorted their engines out, but you can't dismiss the steps Manor have made.
+ Bob Bell

Raleigh

McLaren will likely take a big step forward, I'm expecting midfield and possibly a podium or two.

Manor's competition is going to be Sauber (struggling this year, late launch etc) and perhaps Renault. The crucial step is going from hopelessly last to running among the back of the midfield with more established teams and I'm fairly optimistic Manor can do that this year.

ScottB

Manoah2u wrote:first see then believe.

where does all the money suddenly come from?
Their owner isn't a poor man certainly, if he's decided to put some cash in, it's not an unlikely situation...

Gaz.

Raleigh wrote:McLaren will likely take a big step forward, I'm expecting midfield and possibly a podium or two.

Manor's competition is going to be Sauber (struggling this year, late launch etc) and perhaps Renault. The crucial step is going from hopelessly last to running among the back of the midfield with more established teams and I'm fairly optimistic Manor can do that this year.
O/T- people thought Mclaren were going to be snaffling the odd podium last year too.

I really would like to see Manor leap into the midfield. Sauber I would imagine will be dead last but the next rung imo will be Manor, Renault and sadly Mclaren all in a tooth and claw battle for 12th. Still a wheel hasn't turned yet so who knows.
Forza Jules

FW17

Gaz. wrote: I really would like to see Manor leap into the midfield. Sauber I would imagine will be dead last but the next rung ........

Wonder where is the logic in that statement

Sauber has over 20 years of experience
complete research team of 330 staff
complete inhouse manufacturing capability
complete inhouse windtunnel
2 year experience with the engine
And budget of 120 million

Manor has 5 years experience but lost all data last year, hence has data of a year
probably a staff strength of a 100
no manufacturing capability
no windtunnel
no experience with there engine
a budget of 80 million

Just because people here hate Monisha Kettlebone it will not make them last.

turbof1

It's not inconcievable. Remember that Marussia actual did beat Sauber in 2014. And Sauber is still struggling as well. Nothing against the team, but they lack coordination and leadership in both the aero and managerial departments. Manor on the other hand seems to have a vision atleast where they want to go.
#AeroFrodo

MrCelroy

FW17 wrote:
Gaz. wrote: Manor has 5 years experience but lost all data last year, hence has data of a year
probably a staff strength of a 100
no manufacturing capability
no windtunnel
no experience with there engine
a budget of 80 million
Well, you may be right but a few things mentioned are/could be wrong.
1. I remember they had over 100 staff if I recall some interviews correctly.
2. They may have manufacturing capability due to the Manor base sharing the premises of the Prodrive factory.
3. They have been using the Mclaren windtunnel.
4. The budget could increase due to the top 10 prize money for 2014 and 2015.
Welcome to the exciting and wonderful world of automobile racing. Enjoy!