Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
LookBackTime

Re: Mercedes Power Unit

Imágenes del motor Mercedes PU106B Hybrid de 2015 :)

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/02/h ... gine-base/

LookBackTime

From the article:

"The turbo has been another key area. Mercedes’ F1 engine department had little experience of turbos, but their truck division had plenty of experience of the size and reliability concerns of a turbo needed to deal with over 900bhp."

"The turbos on the 2016 cars are even larger than in 2014 when the new rules came in."

"Other areas of development have been the software that controls these units and the energy store, or battery. This is now down to around 20kg for an F1 car, from 25.3 kg in the 2009 season when it was attached to a KERS system that had half the power requirement and was deployed for only seven seconds per lap, instead of over 30 seconds as it is today."

"Software wise, when the car is on track, the systems now analyse the lap before to look for improvements in deployment and estimates the best locations for increased or reduced deployment, based on lap time gain."

OO7
OO7

I love the compactness and neatness of the Mercedes design. You don't see wiring looms, cables and piping snaking willy nilly all over the place.

hemichromis

So Mercedes have a bigger turbo......

ringo

The turbo is even bigger, suggesting heavy dependence on mguh spooling.
For Sure!!

SectorOne

LookBackTime wrote:"Software wise, when the car is on track, the systems now analyse the lap before to look for improvements in deployment and estimates the best locations for increased or reduced deployment, based on lap time gain."
Now this i find interesting.
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

godlameroso

ringo wrote:The turbo is even bigger, suggesting heavy dependence on mguh spooling.
What part of the turbo? Compressor, turbine, both? Also is it more efficient to use MGU-H to simply kick start the turbine spooling or deploying continuously until the engine is at around 8k rpm, when the MGU-H goes into generator mode to limit boost pressure?
Saishū kōnā

LookBackTime

"Compressor, turbine, both?"

My guess is both (because of increase in power of the whole PU).

ringo

godlameroso wrote:
ringo wrote:The turbo is even bigger, suggesting heavy dependence on mguh spooling.
What part of the turbo? Compressor, turbine, both? Also is it more efficient to use MGU-H to simply kick start the turbine spooling or deploying continuously until the engine is at around 8k rpm, when the MGU-H goes into generator mode to limit boost pressure?
I think the boost pressure/turbine speed limits come in above 10,500 rpm, where the fuel injection limit of 100kg/hr flattens. There is less demand for boost pressure at higher engine speeds, the turbines power will be best spent going to the MGUH. If you notice the engines rev to over 12k sometimes. I think this is where generator mode dominates.

I think both turbine and compressor are increased in size, also the MGUH located mid-shaft. Increasing size improves efficiency, reduces temperatures, and also capacity. The drawback is packaging and wieght, but who knows if mercedes have some kind of super lightweight turbo structure?
For Sure!!

LookBackTime

"The turbos on the 2016 cars are even larger than in 2014 when the new rules came in."

That suggest Mercedes are able to harness more electricity from MGUH. This addtional energy is used on the fly (not used to recharge the battery) by MGUK.

allstaruk08

"Software wise, when the car is on track, the systems now analyse the lap before to look for improvements in deployment and estimates the best locations for increased or reduced deployment, based on lap time gain"

is the car telling the driver when and where on track to deploy the extra power? kind of cutting out the driver to pit talking radio ban?

LookBackTime

allstaruk08 wrote:"Software wise, when the car is on track, the systems now analyse the lap before to look for improvements in deployment and estimates the best locations for increased or reduced deployment, based on lap time gain"

is the car telling the driver when and where on track to deploy the extra power? kind of cutting out the driver to pit talking radio ban?
For every tack the Mercedes engine comes with a prepared maping setup.

The software is using this mapping as start up and using feedback from sensors will dynamically improving the maping of the engine on the fly.

More details about engine mapings :

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/06/f ... -answered/

RicME85

allstaruk08 wrote:"Software wise, when the car is on track, the systems now analyse the lap before to look for improvements in deployment and estimates the best locations for increased or reduced deployment, based on lap time gain"

Drivers don't deploy ERS like pre-2014

ME4ME

Additional info on motorsport.com
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... 16-671911/
"We've made some huge gains in the last years as we have done the development," he explained during a briefing with media at Mercedes' Brixworth facility on Friday.

"We have good gains over the past two years of racing. I don't see that stopping. I don't think anybody here sees that we have reached the limit.

"Where we are at today with our thermal efficiency is mind blowing when you step back and look at it."

Facts Only

Blaze1 wrote:I love the compactness and neatness of the Mercedes design. You don't see wiring looms, cables and piping snaking willy nilly all over the place.
That's because its all taken off to make it look nice for the press pictures.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver