F1Technical 2016 update

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

F1Technical 2016 update

New features

Mobile friendly site design - This was one of the highest ranked feature request from our site survey in December, but we've been working on this for quite a long time. All pages now have adaptable screen widths, and will make reading much easier on mobile devices.

Notifications - Certain actions done by users on the forum will generate notifications to affected users. For instance, users can be notified when they are quoted in a post. There are multiple notification methods, including board notification and email notification.

Gravatar - Avatars may now be fetched from the Gravatar service, in addition to the previously available options. If you wish to use a Gravatar, please update your profile accordingly.

Better Timezone handling - After selecting a timezone in the user control panel, daylight saving time adjusts automatically.

Increased Maximum Subject Length - The maximum length of topic titles is now 120 characters.

Redesigned rating system - The post rating system has been modified to make it more obvious how to use voting. A free input reason is not required to create a negative rating on a post, while moderators have been given better tools to monitor and remove inappropriate ratings.

Twitter and Facebook profile fields - New profile fields were added.

More to come

Login with Google - Rather than enter you details manually and login for f1technical only, you can login with your Google account, removing the need to remember your password or f1technical username

Promoted posts - No ready for the initial release, work is going on to allow us to promote hand-picked posts and threads to the site's homepage, highlighting what's interesting for new or casual visitors.

Using your feedback - While our site survey came too late to use and analyse thoroughly ahead of this update, the results are kept close and will be used in due course. People who have asked to become involved will be contacted.

Problems?

If you experience any sort of issue, feel free to post in this thread, or mail to admin@f1technical.net if you wish to add screenshots more easily. Please make sure to include your testing device and browser name, if relevant for your comment.

However, if you're using Internet Explorer 10 or older, please upgrade your browser before reporting issues. Microsoft has stopped supporting these old versions weeks ago.

mikeerfol

Re: F1Technical 2016 update

Loving it so far, great job everyone! :)

edit: actually, there's something wrong with the url on the top of the screen that links to this thread.

TheGkbrk

wow. it looks great. loved it

lio007

If I go to "Active topics" on my smartphone the "Last post" column is missing. Maybe t's only me but I am more interested in the last post (when and who) than the date when the thread was created and who created it.

But besides that, very well done!!

Morteza

It looks wonderful and runs smoothly. I really like the mobile version. Well done! =D>
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

theblackangus

Haven't tried the mobile version, but the normal PC web version doesn't look as good as the previous version in a few small ways. Imho I liked the previous version where the side bars were more easily decernable from the content sections. Also where the forum topics section is the balance of the page is off since there is just one column and its all the way to the left.
The sections above have a nice balance that is lost in the forum topics section. Maybe have two columns for the top topics?
Or possibly top topics and recent posts?
Last edited by theblackangus on 14 Feb 2016, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

bdr529

Thought I was on the wrong site at first ... Looks Great =D>

ChrisDanger

A big improvement on my tablet and PC.

The polls don't seem to be working though. It's like my vote isn't being registered and I'm unable to view the results (tried on the home page and then a few on the poll index page, using Chrome on PC and Android).

CAEdevice

Well done! I Iike how it looks on mobile devices.

Ava Pug

Nice modern look but I think the "Mark posts" link font size is too small.

stefan_

A very much deserved update for the site and forum.

Good work, guys =D>
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

acidtech

Loving the update :) Congrats! =D>

CMSMJ1

Very nice look and feel - well done Steve and team
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

adrianjordan

Generally a decent update (I actually preferred the old design, but then I usually dislike change!!).

The "First unread post" font is tiny though....please could you make it larger.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

djos

Looks great and works really well on my 6s Plus!

Much nicer than tapatalk!
"In downforce we trust"