Possible advantages of Red Bull Racing's matte paint

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Gridlock

Possible advantages of Red Bull Racing's matte paint

RicerDude wrote:Sorry if this has already been discussed but isn't a matt finish/low surface finish 'more aerodynamic' than a glossy high surface finish?
On Ted's Notebook yesterday he said that further discussion with 'people' had led him to believe that actually this is aero-related. And as he pointed out nothing ends up on a RBR car without a damn good reason.

Could be like Nike's sharkskin material for swimmers, in that at a veeeery small scale it is optimised for fluid, umm, slipperiness.

PlatinumZealot

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

That is rubbish from Tedd as usual.

That paint you see is called "Frozen." It is not really matte finish as some people are saying, but a special clear coat with micro particles in it that traps light that gives that dull gleam effect like a frozen glass. It's is used by BMW on their cars too. It's just a fashionable thing in autobody paint and as usual RedBull is allways in the "in crowd" so they put it on the car.

BMW frozen grey

Frozen blue

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

bdr529

PlatinumZealot wrote:That is rubbish from Tedd as usual.

That paint you see is called "Frozen." It is not really matte finish as some people are saying, but a special clear coat with micro particles in it that traps light that gives that dull gleam effect like a frozen glass. It's is used by BMW on their cars too. It's just a fashionable thing in autobody paint and as usual RedBull is allways in the "in crowd" so they put it on the car.
Its funny, years ago if your clear coat finish came out hazy looking, you knew that the clear coat material
had been contaminated and you had to stripe it off and start all over again,
and now that look is the "in thing"

As for the Red Bull F1 car, I'm quite interested in seeing how it will look during the night races,
I thinking that the words "red bull" and the red and yellow bull logo will have a glowing or florescent look to them.
something similar to the effect you see in a night club

munudeges

PlatinumZealot wrote:It is not really matte finish as some people are saying, but a special clear coat with micro particles in it that traps light that gives that dull gleam effect like a frozen glass.
There is no way a Formula 1 team puts anything on a car for gleam effect.

AnthonyG

munudeges wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:It is not really matte finish as some people are saying, but a special clear coat with micro particles in it that traps light that gives that dull gleam effect like a frozen glass.
I'll give this nonsense a go.

A pretty livery is a good form of marketing.

I can also see a nice looking car being a source of proud of the teammembers (of course a winning car being miles more preferable.)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Moose

munudeges wrote:
Right, I mean, McLaren didn't run for more than a decade with heavy chrome paint for no reason other than marketing.

PhillipM

PlatinumZealot wrote: That paint you see is called "Frozen." It is not really matte finish as some people are saying, but a special clear coat with micro particles in it that traps light that gives that dull gleam effect like a frozen glass.

That is the normal way of getting a satin/matt finish on vehicle paint. You don't use matt colour, you use normal base with a matt/satin modified lacquer/clear coat.

As you say though, the surface finish will be exactly the same as a glossy paintscheme

Tim.Wright

munudeges wrote:There is no way a Formula 1 team puts anything on a car for gleam effect.
You know most F1 teams are just an extension of their respective company's marketing branch right?
Not the engineer at Force India

PlatinumZealot

munudeges wrote:
Remember McLaren Chrome and Red? That Chrome paint was way heavier than normal non-metallic paint. I think the figure was something like 3kg of paint which Azkonobel spent years of development to make lighter each year, but I tell you, that livery was really eye catching!

ME4ME

The new livery has already succeeded; people are talking about it. :)

munudeges

That does not happen on a Red Bull car I'm afraid. No way, no how. No team gives up 3kg in weight because of paint I'm afraid. I'm not sure where people are getting this nonsense from.

PlatinumZealot

munudeges wrote:That does not happen on a Red Bull car I'm afraid. No way, no how. No team gives up 3kg in weight because of paint I'm afraid. I'm not sure where people are getting this nonsense from.
I never said the chrome paint was 3kg heavier than non-metallic paint, so don't misconstrue my post, please.

aral

munudeges wrote:That does not happen on a Red Bull car I'm afraid. No way, no how. No team gives up 3kg in weight because of paint I'm afraid. I'm not sure where people are getting this nonsense from.
are you for real?

vortexrulez

Nothing special on paint, i know from inside. :wink:
As shown in the next image shot in the factory from McLaren during painting. I can asure you it has all been calculated with the design of the car.
I have more images on the paint job, but this is not the apropriate topic :roll:

munudeges

gilgen wrote:are you for real?
I'd love to see a team who gladly dismisses a 3 kilo aspect of their car who is for real (assuming that figure is accurate of course, which it isn't). Weight is everything and no stone is left unturned. [Emphasis added].