Voting system updates - Call for suggestions

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
turbof1

Re: Voting system updates - Call for suggestions

I have received dozens of upvotes for my contributions, unfortunately/improperly this has been matched
by down-votes given for bogus, non-technical reasons.
I have no qualms stating this in public as it serves as a good example: all of your downvotes have been checked, by me, Steven, flynfrog and richard. The fact of the matter is: the downvotes you now currently have is no unfortunate or improper given number. You have gone on a rant, off topic, or simply downright trolling on multiple occasions and as Steven explained, the downvotes are given to stop the nonsense. In the situations where the downvote was given improperly, it got removed for you. You can testify about that yourself. In other words: the downvotes you were given, were given in a correct manner. You simply fail to see the issue is not the downvotes you got, but why you got them.

Yes indeed, there are members here who have gotten improper downvotes from others. When we got notified on this, we also acted on it. We are willing to listen to any suggestion to limit none complying downvotes, but without limiting correct downvoting.

At the end of the day, and this has been said many times to you: you have to start acting responsible for your own actions. I'll not throw your dirty loundery out in the open, but you have got worse punishment for irresponsible posting then just downvotes. And let me state it again: this is completely in your own hands.
All I ask if, that this forum follow norms, 1 member - 1 vote, reason for vote must be' technical'& no anonymous votes.
Removing anonymous voting is asking for problems. Upvotes will responded by upvotes as means of returning the favour instead of rating technically valuable posts. Downvotes will responded by downvotes as means of revenge. The anonymity of the system safeguards neutrality in voting.

We might limit the amount of votes in the future. I think 1 vote for each member is too harsh and will limit actual good posts from being voted. Also, know that members who can vote a lot have actually proven themselves to be capable people. Something you should definitely reflect more upon ;).

I think I can speak for Steven and myself this is the last response we'll be giving on your inquiry. Take what you will out of it, but we'll be giving the space to other members now to show their own concerns about the subject of voting.
#AeroFrodo

giantfan10

I'm curious as to what purpose upvotes and downvotes along with the visible ratings serve? is it just a popularity contest? does it make the Mods jobs easier? how do other forums function without this system?
whatever happened to reporting a post with a reason and the Mods handling it in private?

hollus

Towards the purpose of the voting system, I have pointed this out before: go to threads, any threads, during, say, testing season 2010, and when you come back, I dare you to tell that the standard hasn't improved. It is day and night, since there are votes, rants are shorter, insults sparse and milder, and people even somehow stay on topic once in a while.
Rivals, not enemies.

J.A.W.

TurboF1, you have a 'reputation' score of 600+! ( akin to ol' Idi Amin being utterly festooned with medals)..
It simply serves to show that the system really needs reform.. if it is to have any credibility..
Last edited by Steven on 28 Feb 2016, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Ranting stripped
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Chuckjr

Make no mistake Ben, you are worth every upvote you've received. I actually understand the sport better because of many of your posts. Thank you. Please carry on.

I understand and love the sport more so in general because of this site. Can I just say publically how much I appreciate this site and a HUGE thank you to the moderators for the great job you all do. I've never seen anything like this place.

Fwiw, I think the voting system is great. I like the delay till 25 upvotes because it really culls the trollers. It's not easy getting to 25 (took me 4 years) and I would vote different now than if I would have had the privilege earlier. So I like the self policing that provides.

I also like the voting system because posts that get over 7-8 votes are almost always stellar and worth the time if they are long. Some posts are so long I won't take the time but if they have a high vote count, I'll make time. So really, it works great for my use of the site.

Thanks owner(s) and moderators for making this place a pleasure to visit. The recent update is great (tho I really wish I could still see people's rating in the mobile version - iPhone is my phone) and I like the improvements overall. Thank you for taking the time to make the place better. Your efforts are noticed and appreciated.

I only visit two websites every day and f1-tech is one of them.

Thank you.

Chuck
Watching F1 since 1986.

dans79

giantfan10 wrote:how do other forums function without this system?
Lots of forums use a voting system & a reporting system.

Generally they kind of work like this:
  • flagging/reporting a post - Is like calling the cops on your neighbors, they have done something that you thinks warrants calling in a 3rd party to handle.
  • down voting/ dislike - is like not inviting your annoying neighbor to the block party you are hosting.
  • up voting/liking - is the opposite of the above.
197 104 103 7

strad

Most know I have not been a fan of the voting system, HOWEVER, I have found that most have to score they deserve.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

jknights

SectorOne wrote:Get rid of the voting system, it´s just stupid.
I really don´t care if someone has 500 or -25 stars..
I tend to agree with this view.

Some people who I agree/disagree with are very opinionated and bullish and some are downright rude.
Their opinion whilst being valid is only an opinion. There are so many grey areas that right and wrong is frequently how you view the situation.

motobaleno

voting system is childlish.
please get rid of it.

strad

Have we/you noticed a correlation between a persons score and their opinion on voting?
I think mine might be a little high but as I said.. Overall people appear to have a score they deserve.
I have noticed since the voting came in, that it seems more people have been digging up more technical papers and articles to post, many of which for me at least has been enlightening.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

hollus

Strad, is that you? Didn't you use to have a very negative view on all this voting stuff? What changed?
I mean, you just explained a positive, but did you change your view on the negatives?
Rivals, not enemies.

strad

I mean, you just explained a positive, but did you change your view on the negatives?
To a large extent I have and for the reason stated.
Do I still think it holds no real meaning? Yes. Just look at my rating.
I am happy that some people have found some things I've posted of value, but I think that my score is probably considered high by many.
I think some have too high some have to low, but I guess that's Democracy but I have also noted that since their rep depends on what value other people put on their posting many people have upped their game. :wink:
Sir Stirling Moss

hollus

I have too! (Upped my game).
Rivals, not enemies.

iotar__

I'm glad you're coping with mentally healthy people that stalk month's old posts to downvote them :wtf: .

I especially appreciate "fanboy" reason for a post with nothing but facts voted by pathological fanatics with a complete disregard for reality.

Manoah2u

Re: Silly Season 2017/2018

the downvoting on the forum is going out of control. i get the feeling we have a lot of sensitive toes and shins here and people despite handing out blows can't take one back, and then become childish and downvote with rediculous reasons, and some go as far as to make sure they keep downvoting on a daily basis out of some feeling of wrath.

i think personally, the voting option should be abolished and there should be a system that new members can only post after 3 days of membership, and after 7 days a new topic.
that way you filter out the spambots.

i'd rather see the amount of postcounts over 'voting points'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"