Renault Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
wuzak

Re: Renault V6 Power Unit

jure wrote:But if I remember correctly, 362 was Monza front wing + double slipstream + drs and probably overtake mapping.
And was in 2014.

The Monza aero is not unusual, and with DRS they probably had similar drag to the last of the V10s with their Monza packages.

But Dan did get a lot of assistance from the tow.

Blackout

An unusual top speed for the RBR today mrgreen:
RIC says the engine has a bit more power now. RBR has also used new engine mappings which are more representative for the maps they'll use in Melbourne, according to him.

1 M. Ericsson Sauber-Ferrari 339,6 km/h
2 K. Magnussen Renault Sport 337,5 km/h
3 D. Ricciardo Red Bull-TAG-Heuer (Renault) 335,4 km/h
4 V. Bottas Williams-Mercedes 333,3 km/h
5 S. Pérez Force India-Mercedes 333,3 km/h
6 J. Button McLaren-Honda 330,2 km/h
7 P. Wehrlein Manor-Mercedes 330,2 km/h
8 N. Rosberg Mercedes 329,2 km/h
9 S. Vettel Ferrari 328,2 km/h
10 L. Hamilton Mercedes 326,2 km/h
11 C. Sainz Toro Rosso-Ferrari (2015) 326,2 km/h
12 E. Gutiérrez Haas-Ferrari 180,6 km/h

rayden

wow..........

we need more data, but I'm extremely impressed.

Webber2011

Blackout wrote:An unusual top speed for the RBR today mrgreen:
RIC says the engine has a bit more power now. RBR has also used new engine mappings which are more representative for the maps they'll use in Melbourne, according to him.

1 M. Ericsson Sauber-Ferrari 339,6 km/h
2 K. Magnussen Renault Sport 337,5 km/h
3 D. Ricciardo Red Bull-TAG-Heuer (Renault) 335,4 km/h
4 V. Bottas Williams-Mercedes 333,3 km/h
5 S. Pérez Force India-Mercedes 333,3 km/h
6 J. Button McLaren-Honda 330,2 km/h
7 P. Wehrlein Manor-Mercedes 330,2 km/h
8 N. Rosberg Mercedes 329,2 km/h
9 S. Vettel Ferrari 328,2 km/h
10 L. Hamilton Mercedes 326,2 km/h
11 C. Sainz Toro Rosso-Ferrari (2015) 326,2 km/h
12 E. Gutiérrez Haas-Ferrari 180,6 km/h
If Mercedes were only 10th, I think we can safely throw those speeds in the rubbish.

Quite obviously different programs, set ups etc.

Blackout

Webber2011 wrote:
If Mercedes were only 10th, I think we can safely throw those speeds in the rubbish.

#-o
We don't care about the positions... or RBR's Position compared to the Merc. We're talking about the numbers. And RBR's speed trap compared to the Renault...
Even if the best cars do a 340, which is a bit unlikely, The RBR would just be 5kmh behind... against 12-17 las t year, even with less RW. So like Ricciardo said and the Renault comparison says, there is more power.

ME4ME

Blackout wrote: #-o
We don't care about the positions... or RBR's Position compared to the Merc. We're talking about the numbers. And RBR's speed trap compared to the Renault...
Even if the best cars do a 340, which is a bit unlikely, The RBR would just be 5kmh behind... against 12-17 las t year, even with less RW. So like Ricciardo said and the Renault comparison says, there is more power.
You're being naive to make any conclusion based on this data at all. You don't know anything about how and when it's obtained. Fuel levels, engine maps, tyres, downforce configuration, day of time, slipstream etc.

Blackout

Read previous posts...

r101

I agree with Blackout, Renault has been consistently near the top of high-speed lists, it would be very hard for this to be some sort of anomaly. And as soon as RB reported more power, their top speeds jumped up as well.

Juzh

Lets just hope those top speed patterns are true and not inflated by other on track factors. I'll remain sceptical for now. RB consistently topped out at just a bit over 320 kmh, and then suddenly 335. That's too much difference for a simple PU upgrade.

r101

Autosport: Renault gained 0.5s with engine upgrades, plans another 0.5 until the end of 2016.

http://beta.autosport.com/news/report.p ... power-unit

Blackout

0.5s with 10hp equaling 0.12s in average... a 41hp gain?

Webber2011

Blackout wrote:
Webber2011 wrote:

#-o
Not what I expected from someone I honestly thought was a little bit more technically minded than my mere self.

I'll take anything Daniel Ricciardo says as the truth because he's a straight shooter, so I have no doubt there's more power.

If I understand what you are saying though, there's no other way that Renault are suddenly smashing Mercedes in the speed traps, apart from engine upgrades ?

Get a grip mate.

Blackout

:?
It's not the reason I think there is a substantiel hp gain, it's just another hint, a confirmation. I already explained the other hints, once or twice the other day.
I might be wrong when I say that I dont recall RBR doing that kind of speed-trap with splitstream in high DF tracks like Barcelona.

gandharva

Asked if Renault's progress is in line with expectations, Ricciardo replied: "I think for now it is.

"We got a little bit more out of it, and we were able to run a few more settings which will be representative to what we will have in Melbourne.

"We know the first few races not to expect too much, but then we should get some steps after that. For now we are on target. It does feel a bit better, but of course there is more to come, hopefully, once we get to Europe."

And Ricciardo says he trusts Renault will deliver on planned upgrades as a result of the improvements made over the winter.

"We have more understanding, more experience and better execution. The whole team has given us a lot of confidence that we will find bigger steps with the power unit. They have told us to be conservative for the first few races and not expect too much until we get back to Barcelona and Monaco where we can get a big step to get closer to the front.

"Already we are on the right path and testing has been a lot better for us than it has been for the past two years and the first signs are good."
http://en.f1i.com/news/45393-renault-pr ... iardo.html

carisi2k

Bahrain and China will be the first tests for how much horsepower Renault / Tag Heuer have gained. Melbourne will hide any HP advantage Merc and Ferrari have especially in the case of Red Bull.