F1 2016 pre-season testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
krisfx

Re: F1 2016 pre-season testing

ME4ME wrote:
Big Mangalhit wrote:
krisfx wrote:
Maldonado was also a GP2 champion....
And became a GP winner without being in a Top car
After which he crashed his way to fame.
In a year where the first races were decided at random based on tyres alone? - My point is, just because someone won GP2, that doesn't grant them excellent form in F1, it's a different game, as Maldo proved.

GoranF1

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37169.html

Mercedes
Ferrari +0.0-0.4
Williams, Red Bull and Toro Rosso +0.5-0.6 to Mercedes
Haas and Force India +0.2-0.3 to Williams and co (According to Ferrari, Haas are aprox. 1 second off them)
McLaren, Renault and Sauber (McLaren could join the group of Haas and FI if the new software that brings 30horsepower works well)
Manor (could join the group of rest if the new nose and front wing work as they expect)
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

dot235

GoranF1 wrote:http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37169.html

Mercedes
Ferrari +0.0-0.4
Haas and Force India +0.2-0.3 to Williams and co (According to Ferrari, Haas are aprox. 1 second off them)
McLaren, Renault and Sauber (McLaren could join the group of Haas and FI if the new software that brings 30horsepower works well)
Manor (could join the group of rest if the new nose and front wing work as they expect)

You're saying it as if it was a fact.
First of all, there is no way on earth Red Bull and Toro Rosso are only 0.5sec off Mercs.

Take it with a big grain of salt. And oh, I don't speak german, so...
Last edited by dot235 on 11 Mar 2016, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

GoranF1

dot235 wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 37169.html

Mercedes
Ferrari +0.0-0.4
what the --- are you talking about.

You're saying it as if it was a fact.
First of all, there is no way on earth Red Bull and Toro Rosso are only 0.5sec off Mercs.

Take it with a big grain of salt. And oh, I don't speak german, so...
i am not saying anything at all....it's a summary of the article.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Still an Iceman

Well... this article is bullshit.
How is that possible that a brand new team who has so many things to learn could challenge a team like FI or Williams ? Last year, FI and Williams cars were excellent. And their car seems like to be an evolution of last year's car. There's no way Hass could join this group so quickly and easily.

Same thing for McLaren and RBT... these two teams imo are the big unknown of this 2016 season. They may not aim the win or the podium, but they may be good challengers fo top 6 this year.

dot235

Whoa, what's with the negative ratings... Sorry guys that article just pushed me over the edge with all those crazy assumptions. :mrgreen:

strad

There's no way Hass could join this group so quickly and easily.
you make me lauff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

FLuidd

strad wrote:
Haas used in the last day of testing the Melbourne spec Ferrari engine.
if they used in the first race , they will be battling for points.

dot235

FLuidd wrote:
strad wrote:
Haas used in the last day of testing the Melbourne spec Ferrari engine.
if they used in the first race , they will be battling for points.
Not only that, they are also using Ferrari chassis parts and most of bits and pieces on the car look strikingly similar to Ferrari.

I would say it's a big unknown with the Haas.
I wouldn't be surprised whether they end up at the back (young team, many many details that can go wrong and hurt the results, management mistakes, overall lack of experience, relatively limited budget...) or the middle of the grid (direct or indirect help from Ferrari, strong EPU, presence of some very smart and experienced engineers that worked with other teams in the past, etc).
The latter scenario would be awful news for McLaren.

GPR-A duplicate2

jetho wrote:
GPR-A wrote: IF (a testing IF), today's time on SS (extra polated US) is the maximum that Manor can do and if they still are 6 seconds behind the Mercedes (quite possible), then Mercedes should be able to do a 1m18.6xx on Ultra Soft.
Note: Wehrlein being the rookie, might be still finding his feet in this new car and in the same situation, a more experienced Will Stevens could have been a few tenths faster.
That's no IF, that's a definite NO. Last year Manor was using the 2014 chassis and the 2014 PU from Ferrari. This year the delta between Merc and Manor should be much smaller as they are using up-to-date parts.
digitalrurouni wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Wehrlein in a Manor does 1m25.206s on Super Soft. That would be somewhere around around 1m24.6xx on Ultra Soft. Some Extrapolation I am doing here. Last year, the fastest manor ended up 6 seconds behind the Pole Sitter Nico Rosberg in Abu Dhabi. IF (a testing IF), today's time on SS (extra polated US) is the maximum that Manor can do and if they still are 6 seconds behind the Mercedes (quite possible), then Mercedes should be able to do a 1m18.6xx on Ultra Soft.
Note: Wehrlein being the rookie, might be still finding his feet in this new car and in the same situation, a more experienced Will Stevens could have been a few tenths faster.
No way the W07 will be able to do a 1:18!!!
ME4ME wrote:
GPR-A wrote:Wehrlein in a Manor does 1m25.206s on Super Soft. That would be somewhere around around 1m24.6xx on Ultra Soft. Some Extrapolation I am doing here. Last year, the fastest manor ended up 6 seconds behind the Pole Sitter Nico Rosberg in Abu Dhabi. IF (a testing IF), today's time on SS (extra polated US) is the maximum that Manor can do and if they still are 6 seconds behind the Mercedes (quite possible), then Mercedes should be able to do a 1m18.6xx on Ultra Soft.
You think Manor is still 6sec down on Mercedes despite having a 2016 merc pu instead of the old Ferrari one, and a developed car instead of a modified 2014-one? Get real. There is no way Mercedes can do a 1.18, not with Pirellis new tyre pressures.
Still have doubts? For clarity, Manor today was FULL 5.8 seconds slower.

Italiano

Yeah, but the retarded qualy system didn't allow them to push a couple more times. I am absolutely certain there's more in that car. Even in the drivers as they get the hang of it.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

digitalrurouni

Yep pretty much stand by my statement no way the Merc can do a 1:18.

GPR-A duplicate2

Italiano wrote:Yeah, but the retarded qualy system didn't allow them to push a couple more times. I am absolutely certain there's more in that car. Even in the drivers as they get the hang of it.
Well, how much? 1 more second, like a miracle? Never mind, we will see in Bahrain in two weeks with old qualifying system.
For your reference, here are the times of those mid-field drivers who did 2 laps in Q1 (more like old quali) and NONE had a difference of one full second.
VES
1:26.934
1:25.829

SAI
1:27.057
1:26.236

PAM
1:27.866
1:27.241

MAG
1:28.013
1:27.297

PER
1:27.542
1:26.607

HUL
1:27.166
1:26.550
digitalrurouni wrote:Yep pretty much stand by my statement no way the Merc can do a 1:18.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

timekiller001

GPR-A wrote:
jetho wrote: That's no IF, that's a definite NO. Last year Manor was using the 2014 chassis and the 2014 PU from Ferrari. This year the delta between Merc and Manor should be much smaller as they are using up-to-date parts.
digitalrurouni wrote: No way the W07 will be able to do a 1:18!!!
ME4ME wrote: You think Manor is still 6sec down on Mercedes despite having a 2016 merc pu instead of the old Ferrari one, and a developed car instead of a modified 2014-one? Get real. There is no way Mercedes can do a 1.18, not with Pirellis new tyre pressures.
Still have doubts? For clarity, Manor today was FULL 5.8 seconds slower.
In FP3 Wehrlein was 0.6secs faster than in qualifying. Plus it's not so unlikely that there were still another 2 or 3 tenths of fuel in the car. So it's not that unlikely they had another second in the car.

It's a lot easier to get one second out of a bad car than out of a good car. Especially when the bad car has skipped development for a year.
Last edited by timekiller001 on 21 Mar 2016, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.

Fulcrum

GPR-A wrote:
Italiano wrote:Yeah, but the retarded qualy system didn't allow them to push a couple more times. I am absolutely certain there's more in that car. Even in the drivers as they get the hang of it.
Well, how much? 1 more second, like a miracle? Never mind, we will see in Bahrain in two weeks with old qualifying system.
For your reference, here are the times of those mid-field drivers who did 2 laps in Q1 (more like old quali) and NONE had a difference of one full second.
VES
1:26.934
1:25.829

SAI
1:27.057
1:26.236

PAM
1:27.866
1:27.241

MAG
1:28.013
1:27.297

PER
1:27.542
1:26.607

HUL
1:27.166
1:26.550
digitalrurouni wrote:Yep pretty much stand by my statement no way the Merc can do a 1:18.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Verstappen's time is 1 second faster?