My F1 car: Dali SD016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Daliracing

My F1 car: Dali SD016

Every year i've designed a F1 car. It might not be completely legal but its just for fun. You guys may give me some feedback on the car.
Enjoy! :-D

Samraj_official

Re: My F1 car: Dali SD016

is it designed in accordance to the current 2016 regs?, if not i atleast hope the 2017 F1 cars look sleeker as yours and the elements like the airbox construction and the space underneath the sidepods etc.,are just sick ( i mean in a good way, like american Badass sort of sick).......anyways greatwork keep it up!!!!!

Daliracing

Samraj_official wrote:is it designed in accordance to the current 2016 regs?, if not i atleast hope the 2017 F1 cars look sleeker as yours and the elements like the airbox construction and the space underneath the sidepods etc.,are just sick ( i mean in a good way, like american Badass sort of sick).......anyways greatwork keep it up!!!!!
Yes I've tried to design it to the current regs (2016) don't know if its legal tho. Thanks for the reply!

Alonso Fan

Looks brilliant! Which CAD software did you use?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Daliracing

Alonso Fan wrote:Looks brilliant! Which CAD software did you use?
I've used Solidworks. Thanks for the comment!

Alonso Fan

Daliracing wrote:
Wow, that's some great modelling skills you have there mate! I have used SolidWorks for Uni work and it's quite fiddly sometimes. Did you create different parts and then make an assembly?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Daliracing

Alonso Fan wrote:
Daliracing wrote:
Wow, that's some great modelling skills you have there mate! I have used SolidWorks for Uni work and it's quite fiddly sometimes. Did you create different parts and then make an assembly?
Thank you! the only parts this car has are the frontwing and steering wheel ( i will use the same as last years car) I tried to do the suspension in one part but it didn't work atm. Still need to improve on that part.

Chene_Mostert

I must commend you on your skills in using the Solidworks software.

As for designing / engineering a formula 1 car, there is a lot left to desire.

Starting at the front of the side pods:
The side pods looks like a separate "tube" attached to the car. It does create a "dramatic" looking under cut at the front, maybe too dramatic? And leaves some issues to be considered:
Were will the bottom side impact structure fit?
What size radiators will fit in the "tube", will it allow enough airflow?
and how will the radiators be oriented to fit in this "tube"

The rear of the side pods then drop down way too much, again it is standard practice, but overly "dramatic" in your execution.
It drops down so much that it actually constricts the airflow at the rear. You have massive undercut in front but nowhere for the air to go once it reaches the back.

The rear axle centreline is also too far back, right at the crash structure. Remember the driveshaft are connected to the final drive/differential that forms part of the gearbox.

The raised central part of the rear wing will actually generate lift and be prone to stalling, so not quite sure of your objective there.
Rear wing endplates are also way too high above diffuser.

The tip of the nose also has a strange looking upwards flicking "lip" I'm not sure what your intentions were and what the aero effect would be?

The area above the drivers headrest and airbox opening is also out of proportion.

So yes,
if this project was intendended as an exercise in the use of Solidworks, then well done!
if this is to be considered an design / engineering exercise, then you have missed the mark by trying to be too radical and overlooking basic concepts. :wink:
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

turbof1

Chene_Mostert wrote:I must commend you on your skills in using the Solidworks software.

The side pods looks like a separate "tube" attached to the car. It does create a "dramatic" looking under cut at the front, maybe too dramatic? And leaves some issues to be considered:

The rear of the side pods then drop down way too much, again it is standard practice, but overly "dramatic" in your execution.
It drops down so much that it actually constricts the airflow at the rear. You have massive undercut in front but nowhere for the air to go once it reaches the back.

The rear axle centreline is also too far back, right at the crash structure. Remember the driveshaft are connected to the final drive/differential that forms part of the gearbox.

The raised central part of the rear wing will actually generate lift and be prone to stalling, so not quite sure of your objective there.

The tip of the nose also has a strange looking upwards flicking "lip" I'm not sure what your intentions were and what the aero effect would be?

The area above the drivers headrest and airbox opening is also out of proportion.

So yes,
if this project was intendended as an exercise in the use of Solidworks, then well done!
if this is to be considered an design / engineering exercise, then you have missed the mark by trying to be too radical and overlooking basic concepts. :wink:
It really helps reading the text associated with the pictures, instead of merely looking at the pictures:
It might not be completely legal but its just for fun
#AeroFrodo

Chene_Mostert

turbof1 wrote:
Chene_Mostert wrote:I must commend you on your skills in using the Solidworks software.

So yes,
if this project was intended as an exercise in the use of Solidworks, then well done!
It really helps reading the text associated with the pictures, instead of merely looking at the pictures:
It might not be completely legal but its just for fun
As I said: if this project was intended as an exercise in the use of Solidworks, then well done!
You only quoted part of the opening post. The designer also suggested feedback on the car.

If I go for a casual game of tennis I still play with the net in place, keep score, and yet it's just for fun. :wink:
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

turbof1

He asked some feedback. It's a nicely shaped car inspired, but not obliged by 2016 regulations. You missed the context where this is not presented as a realistic car, but as a piece of technical art. 'Dramatic' is considered a major theme often times in art ;).
#AeroFrodo

Daliracing

Thanks for the replies! Well first of al its just for fun and to practice my solidworks skills. I will try to get closer and closer to a more realistic model but it will take some time to be able to do that. also the body of the car is a surface so its only optical it has no thinkness something i will try to add aswell.

Chene_Mostert

Daliracing wrote:Thanks for the replies! Well first of al its just for fun and to practice my solidworks skills. I will try to get closer and closer to a more realistic model but it will take some time to be able to do that. also the body of the car is a surface so its only optical it has no thinkness something i will try to add aswell.
I'm sure you will come up with some great designs. You have the right attitude!

Daliracing

Chene_Mostert wrote:
Daliracing wrote:Thanks for the replies! Well first of al its just for fun and to practice my solidworks skills. I will try to get closer and closer to a more realistic model but it will take some time to be able to do that. also the body of the car is a surface so its only optical it has no thinkness something i will try to add aswell.
I'm sure you will come up with some great designs. You have the right attitude!
Thanks alot! i'll keep up the work!