2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
strad

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

bhall II wrote:
mep wrote:What they show is not the kind of spirit F1 teams should have. :evil:
Taking advantage of the rules to the fullest extent possible is exactly what F1 is about.

Beyond that, I see very little difference between the current Ferrari-Haas relationship and the beginning stages of the Red Bull-Toro Rosso relationship, one that has propelled the former Minardi team to heights it never could have achieved on its own.
Couldn't have said it any better.
I think we are just hearing sour grapes.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Facts Only

Well done to HAAS, an excellent result. Its not just good for HAAS though, it is good for F1 as a whole because it shows that starting a new team and breaking into the competitive ranks is not completely impossible.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Pierce89

To me, Haas proves that the hrt fiasco was not Dallara's fault
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

CBeck113

Dallara has been at it for years, proving that they could build chassis. Designing a chassis is a different story....but they certainly can build them.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bhall II

tok-tokkie wrote:I would like to have seen what Xpensive would have posted here after this result.
It's xactly what I xpected. They're xalting a pitiful sixth place finish from a design that manged to xtract a few wins last year. Why I'd be surprised if they're still around when the season xpires.

Phillyred

I don't want to take anything away from Haas, but they really really benefitted from the red flag situation!

Phillyred

I don't want to take anything away from Haas, but they really really benefitted from the red flag situation!

TTOS

...but your entire post does take away from Haas's success. Precisely how did Haas benefit from the red flag any more than other teams...?

Raleigh

TTOS wrote:...but your entire post does take away from Haas's success. Precisely how did Haas benefit from the red flag any more than other teams...?
Timing.

Grosjean was running out of position in 6th at the red flag because he was on softs and hadn't pitted yet, so he got a free pitstop.

To his and the teams credit Grosjean was then able to hold onto 6th (showing the car has pace), but at least in part it's a lucky result.

TTOS

"so he got a free pitstop."

Like Rosberg, Hamilton , Vettel and any other cars that weren't retired?? How was Haas's advantage any different?

sgth0mas

TTOS wrote:"so he got a free pitstop."

Like Rosberg, Hamilton , Vettel and any other cars that weren't retired?? How was Haas's advantage any different?
Because he doesnt want to see them succeed of course. ..nothing this team does will be good enough for anyone with a preconceived bias against HAAS.

I will say i couldnt believe the results at first. These points will be huge going forward. I dont expect them to maintain this level, but hopefully they will get a few more finishes in the points this year. I may actually go to the USGP this year.

One could also say haas were unlucky because they had a car retired...but that doesnt fit the rhetoric.

Raleigh

TTOS wrote:"so he got a free pitstop."

Because everyone else had just stopped for tires (at cost of about 25 sec), and had zero need for a free pitstop 2-3 laps after. For Haas the timing was absolutely perfect, if the red flag hadn't come they would have needed to make a normal 25sec pitstop and dropped down the order.

And yes, some other cars gained and lost because of timing, for example Ferrari lost out because stopping wiped out their lead, Mercedes gained the race win this way (and also because the stop made it possible to go to the end on medium tires) similarly Bottas lost out because he pitted on the safety car which then turned into a red flag.

It's just racing, there's good and bad luck.

bhall II

Speaking only for myself - though I wouldn't be surprised if a few of my compatriots harbored similar feelings - I just didn't want to Haas to embarrass himself and, by extension, me. So much of the American experience, or whatever you want to call it, tends to get way overhyped, which makes it a constant, if not wholly legitimate, source of derision. The last thing we need is another incompetent schmuck making an utter fool of himself while waving the flag.

My mantra for the last couple of years: [-o< Please don't don't be another USF1. [-o< Please don't be another USF1. [-o< Please don't be another USF1. [-o<

If Gene can cut down on the hyperbole a little bit - on Grosjean's drive yesterday: "Tyre strategy, saving your tyres, those are the kinds of things that make a driver a legend" - then everything will be fine.

strad

Funny you should mention that bhall II. Before the race I was talking with my wife and was telling her that I thought Gene was probably in that position astronauts and race drivers find themselves in where their only thought is "please don't let me screw up".
Except in this case it would be don't let US screw up.
I would have been happy with just that, so this is a bonus.
Will they be scoring points every race? Nice as that thought might be, I doubt it and will be happy if they just keep their noses clean. Hell they've already done better than many and obviously better than some like seeing. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

continuum16

I would concede that they are a little overhyped, especially Gene, but to be fair if you had invested hundreds of millions of dollars to start a new team after the last teams to come were failures, I think it would be understandable to be overjoyed. After all they accomplished more in one race than 3 teams did in three years. Eventually Steiner will probably temper Gene a bit. They know they probably won't finish there the rest of the year, but let them have their fun for now I think.

Also, I'm curious as to when/how they'll start bringing updates to the car.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain