Different track widths

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Lokesh

Different track widths

I want to know the benefits of different track widths? Also can i apply this thing for my go kart, i want to use different track widths(large track width in rear and small track width in front) for go kart..so can i know the benefits of having different track widths?

Greg Locock

Re: Different track widths

For maximum latacc you should always maximise trackwidth. To alter the handling balance, I would guess that a wider track width at one axle tends to increase its cornering stiffness. Of course there will always be exceptions.

Lokesh

So in go karts is it preferable to use a wider track width in rear as compare to front track width

Lokesh

????

Greg Locock

which is more important, handling balance or max latacc? To be honest go karts are a law unto themselves, I think you'd be better off asking on a go karting forum.

graham.reeds

Depends on the track you are on.

A go kart has a fixed rear axle, so when you try and go around a corner the rear tries to push the kart straight. So you introduce caster in the front so the kart 'falls' on to the outside front raising the inside rear.

A wide front track will raise the rear by less causing a bounce in faster corners when the flex overcomes the caster (you can hear this).

So why does the track matter? If you have a lot of hairpins or fast sweeps you want narrow front. If the track has lots of direction changes wider could help.

Good luck with your setup.

Lokesh

Thanks sir! For your guidance !!