Daniel Ricciardo's contract

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hemichromis

Daniel Ricciardo's contract

Does anyone know anything about his contract?

He has plenty of interest from other teams and as I understood it he had signed a 2 year contract in 2014 to cover 2015/16

Now Helmut Marko is saying he is still under a "long-term" contract.

Any ideas?

SectorOne

Re: Daniel Ricciardo's contract

When Helmut says that in my mind all i hear is "clause".
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

FrukostScones

AMUS wrote today or yesterday that Ferrari wants him.

...they quoted Marko: "...they don't want Verstappen, they want Ricciardo."

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/form ... 48262.html
Last edited by FrukostScones on 22 Mar 2016, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

They drivers have to give back some tangible commercial return to the brand before they can leave. RedBull is all about marketing and they won't give you a free ride just for you to dump them and drive for a rival. Vettel could switch because he did his fair part of the deal alright.
๐Ÿ–๏ธโœŒ๏ธโ˜๏ธ๐Ÿ‘€๐Ÿ‘Œโœ๏ธ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ™

FrukostScones

PlatinumZealot wrote:They drivers have to give back some tangible commercial return to the brand before they can leave. RedBull is all about marketing and they won't give you a free ride just for you to dump them and drive for a rival. Vettel could switch because he did his fair part of the deal alright.

driving slow on purpose?*
ROFL
*WDC's I know.
But too good: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/op ... er-alonso/
together with: http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/f1/ferrari-in-2014/
epic entertainment.

FrukostScones

Btw, just google the issue... RB wants himto stay, they are clauses, he might leave... But If I was him I would definitely stay at RB for 2017, especially with that big rule change coming.
RB normally was very good with aero rule changes. see 2009 or 1998 eh.. I mean if Newey is on still giving his input( what he defo will)... even with a 2017 Renault engine.
But not with a Honda or that bastard of evil Ecclestone Budget-engine. blasphemy that would be with the latter, cheap bought title. Worth an arcade token.

hemichromis

FrukostScones wrote:Btw, just google the issue... RB wants himto stay, they are clauses, he might leave... But If I was him I would definitely stay at RB for 2017, especially with that big rule change coming.
RB normally was very good with aero rule changes. see 2009 or 1998 eh.. I mean if Newey is on still giving his input( what he defo will)... even with a 2017 Renault engine.
But not with a Honda or that bastard of evil Ecclestone Budget-engine. blasphemy that would be with the latter, cheap bought title. Worth an arcade token.
Last year, as Red bull threatened to leave and fire any driver who didn't perform well, i would have disagreed.

Now, having effectively crawled back to Renault, we can be sure they will be staying and as you say with new aero regs he is in the best place.

Also Renault's engine development is looking good TAG Heuer are doing a great job tuning it.

Phil

As great as Ferrari is, I think I'd always be hesitant of going there as a driver, unless absolutely certain you'd have equality or be the preferred driver. Then as again, that 'greatness' is also why many want to go there and win with them. Leaving RedBull for it, is a tricky one. I see RedBull doing very well, but on the other hand, with more power and performance shifting to the big manufacturers (who also develop their own PUs), perhaps RedBulls ability will always be somewhat limited, unless they can sort out a good partnership with a PU manufacturer or the sport changes back to something like we had towards the end of the V8 era.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. โ€” bhall II
#Team44 supporter

j2004p

hemichromis wrote:Also Renault's engine development is looking good TAG Heuer are doing a great job tuning it.
You know that TAG Heuer do absolutely nothing with that engine other than put their branding on it?

hemichromis

j2004p wrote:
hemichromis wrote:Also Renault's engine development is looking good TAG Heuer are doing a great job tuning it.
You know that TAG Heuer do absolutely nothing with that engine other than put their branding on it?
You are wrong!

Watches, Engines, MGU-Hs, MGU-Ks, Turbos, TAG Heuer can make anything!

They are also working on a flying pig if memory serves...

turbof1

hemichromis wrote:
j2004p wrote:
You are wrong!

Watches, Engines, MGU-Hs, MGU-Ks, Turbos, TAG Heuer can make anything!

They are also working on a flying pig if memory serves...
Joking aside, you do know that TAG is not allowed to make hardware changes? It is still treated as a Renault engine by regulation. The only thing Red Bull and TAG may do, is software optimization. Without altering the EC of course.
#AeroFrodo

hemichromis

Oh yes, I looked into that in detail when there were rumours about a 'Red bull' engine.
I was disappointed to learn that Red bull couldn't do it and so the rumours were made of straw.

Of course that means Tag Heuer couldn't though i'm not sure why they'd want to.

turbof1

hemichromis wrote:Oh yes, I looked into that in detail when there were rumours about a 'Red bull' engine.
I was disappointed to learn that Red bull couldn't do it and so the rumours were made of straw.

Of course that means Tag Heuer couldn't though i'm not sure why they'd want to.
Probably marketing. Red Bull is not a commercial engine/car builder and don't have any fame for building engines for racing they can exploit. So in the hypothetical "what if" case where Red Bull would have build their own PU, they could rent out the rights to a company for putting the latter's name on it. TAG has history as an engine builder, although to clarify that's not the same company as the current TAG-Heuer. TAG-Heuer gets the marketing, and Red Bull royalties in return.
#AeroFrodo

hemichromis

Out of 4 Manufacturers only 1 got it right at the start, one is 2 years later finally getting it's act together, the other 2 may take another year to get to the same standard of PU

So if Red bull started developing an engine now we could say they would have a 25% chance of having a strong engine in 3 years time.

It makes no sense at all.

Anyway Renault with 25 tokens remaining look to have made good progress over the winter.

turbof1

hemichromis wrote:Out of 4 Manufacturers only 1 got it right at the start, one is 2 years later finally getting it's act together, the other 2 may take another year to get to the same standard of PU

So if Red bull started developing an engine now we could say they would have a 25% chance of having a strong engine in 3 years time.

It makes no sense at all.

Anyway Renault with 25 tokens remaining look to have made good progress over the winter.
It doesn't, but then again: participating in F1 generally does not make sense either. I guess Red Bull can do it quicker if they opened up their wallet, went on a hiring spree and potentially tried to dissect things like fuels, oils, etc. Then again: they are clearly not interested in it.
#AeroFrodo