2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CBeck113
CBeck113
104
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

tok-tokkie wrote:I would like to have seen what Xpensive would have posted here after this result.
"Sixth place is not bad, far more than xpected, but the season opener is always like that, "giant killers" for 15 minutes of fame.

That's all there is to it really, but I guess it's xtremely xcitig for the team nonetheless." Xpensive, 21Mar2016
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

giantfan10
giantfan10
52
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

here is the Haas team strategist : ) https://uk.linkedin.com/in/ruthbuscombe
Image

User avatar
strad
268
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

I don't know what your point is but since she used to be team strategist for Ferrari, I don't think that's a very high recommendation . Ferrari has made some terrible strategy calls.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

giantfan10
giantfan10
52
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

strad wrote:I don't know what your point is but since she used to be team strategist for Ferrari, I don't think that's a very high recommendation . Ferrari has made some terrible strategy calls.
ferrari has made terrible strategy calls versus who Mercedes? you may want to rethink that.. Monaco last year ring a bell? Malaysia last year ring a bell? want me to continue? and in case you want to mention Australia 2016 just know that teams are not aware of tire choices during red flag situations so to call Ferraris wrong guess a strategy call is pretty off base. they thought Rosberg would stick with the soft and he didnt... Ferrari had one new soft set left...... they were stuck with choices made 14 weeks prior it was either SS or medium because they had to save the soft for the Final stint.. they didnt go medium because they thought rosberg would stick with the soft and that would be suicide pitting new mediums against new softs...they decided to stick with the strategy they planned on running anyway.

User avatar
strad
268
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Oh My
I've tweeked a Tifosis nose.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

giantfan10
giantfan10
52
Joined: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:05 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

strad wrote:Oh My
I've tweeked a Tifosis nose.
no you tweaked the nose of a person that likes facts
oh and FYI i posted that picture because she is a good looking woman nothing more nothing less

CBeck113
CBeck113
104
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:43 pm

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Actually, until Melbourne this year Ferrari has been quite good on strategy, especially last year - they would not have won a race, although Malaysia is debatable, without their strategies working and Mercedes not.
Back on topic - this is where a new team like Haas will have alot to learn, even if they have experienced people - they need to work together and learn to trust each other.
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

User avatar
FW17
228
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:56 am

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

giantfan10 wrote:
strad wrote:Oh My
I've tweeked a Tifosis nose.
no you tweaked the nose of a person that likes facts
oh and FYI i posted that picture because she is a good looking woman nothing more nothing less

In case one wonders what she doing..............

Image

User avatar
strad
268
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:57 am

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

oh my ... You think they've done some brilliant job whilst I have a different opinion and think they have screwed up more than just a couple of times.
How odd, a disagreement on an F1 board. I am shocked. :lol: :lol: :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

User avatar
The_table
6
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Will Haas be to Ferrari what Torro Rosso is to red bull in the sense of their young drivers programme?

mkable1370
mkable1370
6
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

The_table wrote:Will Haas be to Ferrari what Torro Rosso is to red bull in the sense of their young drivers programme?
Thus far, Haas hasn't opted for young drivers though...

ESPImperium
ESPImperium
121
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

FW17 wrote:
giantfan10 wrote:
strad wrote:Oh My
I've tweeked a Tifosis nose.
no you tweaked the nose of a person that likes facts
oh and FYI i posted that picture because she is a good looking woman nothing more nothing less

In case one wonders what she doing..............

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/ima ... 5xjmjn.jpg
Bringing the thread back on topic, its a high definition thermal camera from what i remember. Ferrari used it to get the thermal rejection areas of the W05 Hybrid in post season testing 2014. Mercedes got pissed over this and stopped Ruth Buscombe doing so after they noticed her after about 20 minutes, but in that time she got the data required for Ferrari.

No matter if she is an attractive woman, she is in the sport for a reason, she is a racer, and a damn good strategist. She made key calls at Ferrari over the past year. She made the call for Grosjean for at Melbourne, but she has made 3 race winning calls in the past year. Yes she made a few poor ones too, but isn't that the life of a strategist? It was her call when, as i believe it, she was the one that got Alonso the Barcelona 2013 win, even if she was the strategist for Massa at the time.

Where the hell is sexism in F1? Look at the Tennis row at the moment.

graham.reeds
graham.reeds
21
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 am

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

She needs a bit if coaching when approached by media. When Ted Kravitz tried to talk to her she literally ran away!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium
121
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:08 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

Yes, as she hasn't been given her Media training by Haas yet. Teams have a HR paperwork exercise for all employees on this, all staff usually get to level one, where some guys (No1 Mechanic/Data Engineer) will get level two and then all others senior to that (Chief Engineer/Team Principle) get level three. Media training for level one will be for them not to say anything on camera/recording but only say 'off the record' things to trusted media sources. Level two will be for those persons to be on camera/recordings sporadically, and only to say x/y or z answer, like if Ted doorsteps Lewis No1 Mechanic when he has a problem on the reconnaissance lap as he had a few years back in China with McLaren. Level three is for all others who are almost always the on screen and reported sources, like Toto Wolff or Paddy Lowe at Mercedes and Rob Smedley at Williams.

Its like where ever most people work (if in a large organisation) you get media training these days, level one guys in F1 and most organisations is mostly social media awareness but F1 also includes day course a year on media. Im sure that most people who work in a large organisation are used to going on day courses for stupid things, in F1, media is one of these things that they must go on if they are a trackside team member.

Ruth, to my guess has probably had the level two training at Ferrari, but at Haas probably hasn't had the time to go on the course and hence why she was playing coy to Ted, and walking fast by saying 'i don't do interviews' as the teams notify the normal media outlets who they can approach and who they can't. Haas is still probably in its infancy there when it comes to media liaison, something that will no doubt be worked on in the days to Bahrain.

Sorry for the bland and dry topic of HR in a team thread. Haas will have more or less all its learnings with the media this year or in fact before half way. Haas don't just have F1 technical and sporting sides to be new to the sport, they also have their back office procedures to do as well. Yes 18 months may be a long lead time, but its only when they hit the cold hard coalface of F1 that those areas that may not yield tangible performance, they can have a noticeable impact on moral of a team that can affect track performance indirectly.

User avatar
adrianjordan
59
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:34 am
Location: West Yorkshire, England

Re: 2016 Haas F1 Team - Ferrari

Post

ESPImperium wrote:Yes, as she hasn't been given her Media training by Haas yet. Teams have a HR paperwork exercise for all employees on this, all staff usually get to level one, where some guys (No1 Mechanic/Data Engineer) will get level two and then all others senior to that (Chief Engineer/Team Principle) get level three. Media training for level one will be for them not to say anything on camera/recording but only say 'off the record' things to trusted media sources. Level two will be for those persons to be on camera/recordings sporadically, and only to say x/y or z answer, like if Ted doorsteps Lewis No1 Mechanic when he has a problem on the reconnaissance lap as he had a few years back in China with McLaren. Level three is for all others who are almost always the on screen and reported sources, like Toto Wolff or Paddy Lowe at Mercedes and Rob Smedley at Williams.

Its like where ever most people work (if in a large organisation) you get media training these days, level one guys in F1 and most organisations is mostly social media awareness but F1 also includes day course a year on media. Im sure that most people who work in a large organisation are used to going on day courses for stupid things, in F1, media is one of these things that they must go on if they are a trackside team member.

Ruth, to my guess has probably had the level two training at Ferrari, but at Haas probably hasn't had the time to go on the course and hence why she was playing coy to Ted, and walking fast by saying 'i don't do interviews' as the teams notify the normal media outlets who they can approach and who they can't. Haas is still probably in its infancy there when it comes to media liaison, something that will no doubt be worked on in the days to Bahrain.

Sorry for the bland and dry topic of HR in a team thread. Haas will have more or less all its learnings with the media this year or in fact before half way. Haas don't just have F1 technical and sporting sides to be new to the sport, they also have their back office procedures to do as well. Yes 18 months may be a long lead time, but its only when they hit the cold hard coalface of F1 that those areas that may not yield tangible performance, they can have a noticeable impact on moral of a team that can affect track performance indirectly.
Absolutely agree. I work for an ambulance service and our media training is that we cannot comment on a patient's condition but that we can put them in touch with our media relations office who will provide what information they can.

I also volunteer for a charity where I am in a very publicly visible role on events and have had a bit more training, but it still basically boils down to referring them to the media relations team.
In 2007 I had the chance to go to a meet-and-greet with an F1 test driver. I decided not to as I didn't think he'd even amount to much...he was the BMW Sauber test driver and his name was Sebastian Vettel...