Converting track files

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ciro Pabón

Converting track files

I need to move files from dwg format (AutoCad) to any of the main file formats that exist today for track splines and polygons used in simulations.

I could use any recipe to move from Autocad to any of the following formats:

- Racer (.dfo)
- Need for Speed v5, v4 or v2 files (.crp, .fce or .hp2)
- GP files (.gp4)
- F1 2001 or 2002 (.mts)
- Grand Theft Auto (.dff, .col)
- Midtown Madness ARTS of 2 (.geo, .psd)
- Test Drive 6 (.dat)
- Collin McRae Rally 2 (.c3d)
- Insane Vehicles (.fff)
- Viper Racing, NASCAR Heat (.mod)
- Toca III (.col, .dff)
- Screamer 4x4 (.sc4)
- 4x4 Evolution (.smf)
- SCGT, Formula 1 2000 (.vrl)

or at least to:

- 3D Studio (.3ds)
- Mafia 4DS (.4ds)
- Lightwave Objects (.lwo)
- BIN 3D meshes

without having to buy all of these packages.
Ciro

Carlos
Carlos

Ciro - Research skills have led to a reward...a solution to load AutoCad files to 3DStudio ...one day you will have to tell me what that means...knowing only 2 people read most links ...you and I (sigh) :wink:
Well... at least what the link claims to be a solution to your problem; keep me updated.

http://www.4crawler.com/AutoCAD.FILE.shtml
http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best ... f-3ds.html

3DStudio Max 7 demo
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia ... -Max.shtml

OT AS in 2007 I will probably resolve to learn how to do more than search on the net in 2008. Ciro... what is a registry? Is a file simillar to the one to do bodywork? :wink:

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, Carlos. The two first links are not exactly what I was looking: they are for dwg to dxf conversions or they are for AutoCAD for Silicon Graphics machines.

I'm downloading the demo for 3D Studio, to see if I can import dwg files (I imagine I can) and save them as 3DS.

The registry is the modern equivalent of the old Windows.ini file. It's a file that saves all the configurations for your programs: what files (with which extensions) can the program open, the program initial configuration, your settings of the programs, what programs to start when the PC starts, etcetera.

You can edit (or watch) the register in your PC by using "Start Menu", then "Run" and then writing, in the box you'll see, the word "REGEDIT". DO NOT TOUCH THE REGISTER, just watch it. You can disconfigure your PC easily if you don't know what to change.

If the register messes up, you can use (in XP) the "Start Menu", then "All programs", then "Accesories", then "System Tools" and finally "Restore PC" (I'm translating from Spanish, sorry if the names are slightly different) to go back to a previous version of the register.
Ciro

meves
meves

Yea the registry basic all is the configuration for all applications within windows. You can do some cool things in it but if you have no idea what you're doing then you're more likely to do serious damage either to a program or to the operating system.

If you want to have a look round then go to the start button, then run and type in regedit , hit ok and you're away.

eidetic
eidetic

I have Deep Exploration which can open DWG, and can export to LWO, 3DS, etc. PM if you'd like any help.