Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
seezung

Re: Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Godius

Toro Rosso STR11 - rear wing revisions
Toro Rosso again used the rear wing introduced at the previous round in China, though of course with a higher downforce set-up in order to cope with the differing demands of the Sochi Autodrom. The most obvious change is the two horizontal gills in the upper part of the endplate, compared to the four seen in Shanghai.
http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-web ... nd-up.html

NL_Fer

How good would this car be with a Renault 2016 PU in the back? Looking at the rate of development, how good would the 2017 car be, if they returned to Renault power?

ME4ME

NL_Fer wrote:How good would this car be with a Renault 2016 PU in the back? Looking at the rate of development, how good would the 2017 car be, if they returned to Renault power?
Or, how good would it be with the 2016 Ferrari engine. I think the car is stunning considering that they closed the Ferrari deal very late last year. Verstappen was in a pretty good position in Russia before his engine failure.

Morteza

Via @ScarbsTech
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

lio007

Spain, In-season test, Day 1:
Asymmetric bodywork:

Flow-viz shot:

GoranF1

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

RA168E

The asymmetric bodywork makes me think of the MP4-25. Why are they doing that, wouldnt that, in theory, throw off the aero balance?

Just_a_fan

Presumably they wanted to compare the high- and normal-cooling packages in one run. Comparing the flow viz on each side of the car will allow them to see what effects the increased cooling is having on the air flow.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wuzak

Just_a_fan wrote:Presumably they wanted to compare the high- and normal-cooling packages in one run. Comparing the flow viz on each side of the car will allow them to see what effects the increased cooling is having on the air flow.
I believe they are running the asymmetric system at races.

No doubt they are minimising the duct sizes for each side, with different cooling requirements in each side pod dictating the sizes.

Pierce89

I love this STR. None of the newest "must have" Mercedes aero concepts, none of the tiny details that the teams with big money have, yet even hobbled with a 2015 engine , it's one of the best cars. Regardless of the RBT connection, STR is showing what all "lean and efficient"(the phrases a small team usually describes itself with to avoid the word "small") should aspire too. Basically they've become the new "Sauber", whilst the "real" Sauber seems to be dying on the vine.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

mclaren111

Amus:

15 Slots on the floor before the rear tyre !! Wonder where it's going to end ?? :lol: :lol:

NL_Fer

What is the secret? They were really low after the FIA prohibited to copy the RB chassis. They were back in 2014 but though it was just they copied the complete RB10 back end, drive train and suspension, but now with an old Ferrari they are flying.

I rate this chassis the same as Ferrari, McLaren maybe Mercedes even.

wuzak

NL_Fer wrote:What is the secret?
James Key?