Minichamps 1:18 Williams FW37 issues

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Martin_F

Minichamps 1:18 Williams FW37 issues

Hi guys, I hope this is the right location to post my issue.
I just received my FW37 model that's been released from Minichamps recently. Unfortunately there seems to be an issue with the front wings on some of the models, where it hasn't been glued on straight.
I've seen some pictures online, and the one I received was that way also:

Do you guys have any idea on how I could carefully remove the wing, and reinstall it in a straight way?
I'm thinking lacquer thinner on a q-tip and try to desolve the glue, but I was wondering if anybody had done something similar.
I'd appreciate any pointers.
Thanks, Martin

flynfrog

Re: Minichamps 1:18 Williams FW37 issues

Id send it back

mep

Sent it back.
You should not accept a company’s attempt to sell poor quality to you!
Show them some borders.

Martin_F

Thought about that, but they are sold out on Bottas cars from the place I bought the model.

DiogoBrand

Martin_F wrote:Thought about that, but they are sold out on Bottas cars from the place I bought the model.
I'd say that's their issue to solve. You bought from them a model of Bottas' car and now it's their job to provide you what they sold in perfect condition.

mep

Try to contact Minicamps directly instead of going back to the shop. Its Minicamps cause and up to them how they react to you without losing you and everybody who reads this as customer.

Martin_F

Good point, I've sent the seller an email but got no response. I'll call them tomorrow and if they still won't make it right, I'll get in touch with Minichamps directly.

EDIT: turns out this model is sold out from the manufacturer.
We'll see what their response is.

Martin_F

Alright, I contacted Minichamps in Germany and they sent me the contact for their North American distributor.
Got in touch with him and told him about what happened. Turns out the people I bought the model from, American Excellence are not an authorized dealer and therefore Minichamps USA couldn't help me. Especially since the model is sold out.
I tried getting in touch with the seller a few more times per phone and email, but never got a response. So sending it back is not really an option.

I guess I learned my lesson!

Coming back to my initial question, does anybody know how I can unmount the front wing in order to reinstall it properly?

Thanks, Martin

SunsAnvil

This seems odd. I would definately go back to minichams. While you may have purchased via an unauthorised distributor, you were not to know that at the time of purchase and this is cleary a manufacturing problem and not a distribution issue unless the wing fell off due to bad handling by the distributor. Regardless of where you purchased, if the car has a serial number, it can be traced back to the production line. Don't accept excuses from the manufacturer!

Martin_F

Got in contact with Minichamps Germany again. They said it's not their fault and that I'm the only one complaining about this issue. Which is interesting because I've seen pictures online that had the same problem.
Like this:

Either way, they basically told me to get lost.

AnthonyG

From what I know of consumer law, whoever imported it into europe has end responsibility. Don't get shoved away, send them a letter they have to sign off (what's that called?) and ask them a refund.
The issue is obvious, it's not relevant who's complaining. If they have a picture on their website of how the model is, and yours doesn't look like it, it's wrong,
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

AnthonyG

(You can also put an appropriate Williams e-mail adress in CC with your correspondence if you continue trough mail)
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Martin_F

I ended up fixing the model myself, and here is how it turned out:

Should really have the hard tires for that track :D

LVDH

It is too bad that today pretty much no company cares for quality anymore. They are not even embarrassed by bad quality.
Good thing you could at least fix it. It looks good now.

RicME85

Looks like a very good fix, well done! How did you go about it in the end?
As LDVH said, its bizarre that Minichamps didnt want to do all they could to help you, these days with information travelling so quickly and reaching such a large audience companies tend to be $hit hot when it comes to good will etc.