Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Toro Rosso STR11 Ferrari

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Godius

New engine cover with additional roll hoop air intake.

Godius

Drica

Is this engine cover slimmer or is it just my eyes playing tricks on me? That shark fin looks amazing

McMrocks

How is the air going to stay attached where the engine cover and the shark fin meet? Or doesn't it?

PhillipM

I think it's just a quick test setup to see if it's beneficial if they can shift more cooling out of the sidepod and up top. I really doubt that would be a race config.

wesley123

McMrocks wrote:How is the air going to stay attached where the engine cover and the shark fin meet? Or doesn't it?
Why wouldn't it?
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RicME85

The cover looks an odd shape but I think it is more to do with the bulls backside not interfering with the view.

McMrocks

wesley123 wrote:
McMrocks wrote:How is the air going to stay attached where the engine cover and the shark fin meet? Or doesn't it?
Why wouldn't it?
The airflow would have to move almost 90° to the direction the car is traveling. Especially where the engine cover drops almost vertically in side view. Imagine the flow in top view

DiogoBrand

McMrocks wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Why wouldn't it?
The airflow would have to move almost 90° to the direction the car is traveling. Especially where the engine cover drops almost vertically in side view. Imagine the flow in top view
I really don't get why teams make engine covers in that rounded shape before the fin instead of tapering down smoothly towards the edge like they did until the early 2000's.
This shape looks more aerodynamic than the ones they currently use. Perhaps someone with aerodynamic knowledge could explain.

ringo

McMrocks wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
Why wouldn't it?
You are forgetting to consider that the flow is 3 dimensional and there is air flow moving laterally as well; not just along the surface.
For Sure!!

bhall II

It doesn't seem likely that separation is a pressing issue at that point on the engine cover. Even if a boundary layer becomes turbulent, air flow over it will just keep going. Beyond that, I imagine the low-pressure area between the end plates moves everything along nicely, i.e. no adverse pressure gradient.

OO7
OO7

DiogoBrand wrote:
McMrocks wrote:
wesley123 wrote: Why wouldn't it?
I really don't get why teams make engine covers in that rounded shape before the fin instead of tapering down smoothly towards the edge like they did until the early 2000's.
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/c ... -13633.jpg
This shape looks more aerodynamic than the ones they currently use. Perhaps someone with aerodynamic knowledge could explain.
If I understand what you mean, the answer is cooling. Current engine covers (and they have been like this since 2009 or 2010 with the Red Bull's I believe.) feature cooling ducts for the ERS and or gearbox, which wasn't the case in the early to mid 2000's.

DiogoBrand

Blaze1 wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:
McMrocks wrote: The airflow would have to move almost 90° to the direction the car is traveling. Especially where the engine cover drops almost vertically in side view. Imagine the flow in top view
http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/c ... -13633.jpg
If I understand what you mean, the answer is cooling. Current engine covers (and they have been like this since 2009 or 2010 with the Red Bull's I believe.) feature cooling ducts for the ERS and or gearbox, which wasn't the case in the early to mid 2000's.
I know the reason they're bigger, but since they have a mandated area, some teams (including Toro Rosso) put a 'shark fin' behind the cooling ducts to meet the requirements.
My question is: Wouldn't it be better, aerodynamically, to have the cooling ducts taper down smoothly in like a teardrop shape to meet that area, instead of having that rounded shape and then a flat shark fin all the way back?

Andres125sx

My guess is that probably would affect airflow around the rear wing. If the engine cover force air to move along that line, but only at the center of the car (imagine the upper view, the engine cover is only the central part while air is also passing at both sides of the PU) that will probably cause some turbulent air/ vortices/whatever it is called, but not clean air. I guess the sooner the cover goes down there´s more time/space for air to settle and reach the RW as clean as possible

But that´s just my guess and I´m far from an expert here