[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Thanks Matteo,
I hope the link explains it well enough. If you are able to put your CAD files into folders with certain key names you will be good to go. MantiumWFlow then sets up an OF case, a script that runs it and also scripts that take care of post-processing.
MantiumWFlow is written in Python and should run on Windows. In addition you will need OF and currently two versions of Paraview. This is something I want to fix. Maybe the newest Paraview version will support my post-procssing scripts better.
My main concern is which OF version to use. So maybe some Windows users could actually test the two installation procedures mentioned above and give some feedback on that. This would help and make sure that what users do locally correlates as well as possible with the later official simulations which will be run on the Mantium online plattform.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:MantiumWFlow is written in Python and should run on Windows.
Very good news.
A curiosity: the post processing only requires Paraview? No need to install other utilities?

LVDH

The colorful pictures are done in Paraview. The plots are done with matplotlib in Python.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:The colorful pictures are done in Paraview. The plots are done with matplotlib in Python.
It makes me think to possible evolutions (but it would be off topic), very interesting.

RicME85

Well this all looks very interesting.
Currently in hospital after having najor surgery not sure if I will have to compete on the first race if it's going to be that soon unfortunately.
Have we heard what's up with Julien?

Alonso Fan

How are you feeling? What did you have done?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

RicME85

I had an elbow replacement 5 years ago and it had come loose so had another done.
Things are a bit more complicated for me as my blood doesn't clot so have to have special medication, still get massive bruising however.

Feel rough, very rough, have an infection somewhere with a temp of 39 degrees.

Thanks for asking :)

AratzH

So good to see things are moving along. If using MantiumFlow is similar to OCCFD we should be good. Specially if the installation is simpler!

Regarding the numbering I'd like to use number 9.

I hope you get better RicME85!
MVRC -> TF

Alonso Fan

RicME85 wrote:I had an elbow replacement 5 years ago and it had come loose so had another done.
Things are a bit more complicated for me as my blood doesn't clot so have to have special medication, still get massive bruising however.

Feel rough, very rough, have an infection somewhere with a temp of 39 degrees.

Thanks for asking :)

Oh my, I sincerely hope all goes well
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

Hi RicME85, I knew about the surgery, but I am very sorry that the infection made things even worse. I hope you get better soon.

RicME85

Re: RE: Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

CAEdevice wrote:Hi RicME85, I knew about the surgery, but I am very sorry that the infection made things even worse. I hope you get better soon.
Making progress Matteo, that's a start, thankfully the infection wasn't in the elbow but in the line in my neck for giving medication, that can be dealt with easier.

My arm is coming out I'm pretty colours! Might us it as an inspiration for the livery of my car :D

CAEdevice

It would be worse if you had to drive your car instead of drawing it: when I tested my 2016 car on a realistic simulator (AC) after reproducing the physics it was very hard and physical to drive (at least for a weak driver as I am) with all that df and quite narrow tyres.

RicME85

Haha, yeah, thank goodness we don't race on a simulator server, would be brutal!

Alonso Fan

Ouch, that picture goes right through me (shudders).

On another note, how easy is it to export to AC and have a drivable car?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

Alonso Fan wrote:On another note, how easy is it to export to AC and have a drivable car?
Hi, there are two (separate) difficulties to import a KVRC/MVRC car into AC:

1) Geometry: a good STEP can be converted and imported, but not having a UV mapping, you can't apply textures. To make a good job, it would be needed to have good Blender skills and re-model the car.

2) Physics: I used a template and then I modified it introducing real geometry suspension and stifness, aero specifications, engine/gear simulations (thanks to Machin about this point). In AC aero is more refined than in KVRC, since it also consider the angle of the car during braking or turning.

After completing the physics simulation the car was very difficult to drive: the df was huge (10000N @44m/s !), the wheels too narrow (this casued high temperatures and required a too high pressure) and the orginal front suspension geometry made the car quite "nervous". So I slightly changed the wheels dimensions, designed a different front suspension geometry (but the car is still not easy for humans with all that df) and shifted the COP sligthly behind the COM (25mm), to have a more stable car.

PS: I can provide the full project folder, but the tyre model is only updated to AC 1.4 since the project has been suspended 6 months ago. It would be great to use AC for our races, using a common mechanical model (suspensions/engine/...) based on my AC porting and the aerodynamics computed by MantiumWFlow, but it would be quite a hard job, especially about point 1 (maybe we could ask Kunos to help, but I guess the are busy with other problems and projects).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/522 ... 016_01.mp4
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/522 ... 016_02.mp4

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/522 ... x_0.28.zip
Last edited by CAEdevice on 31 Jul 2016, 11:37, edited 4 times in total.