2017-2020 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Andres125sx

Re: Proposed 2017 F1 Aerodynamic Changes

bhall II wrote:I'm not getting into this with you for the billionth time, man.
No need, you posted your opinion and I posted mine :)
bhall II wrote:Someone will have invented an entirely new form of downforce before we ever agree on this one. :lol:
Probably, but FIA will ban it anycase so we´ll have some more decades to try :mrgreen:

mclaren111

Slightly off topic question.

Any news on the progress to increase the engine sound / noise for next year ??

bhall II

mclaren111 wrote:Any news on the progress to increase the engine sound / noise for next year ??
FIA developing F1 engine sound generator.

(That's not a joke.)

mclaren111

Anything is better than the crap sound we have at the moment :lol: :lol: :lol:

OO7
OO7

Given that the rear wing will be lower in 2017, I wonder if any of the teams will move the air scoop from above the driver.

FPV GTHO

Blaze1 wrote:Given that the rear wing will be lower in 2017, I wonder if any of the teams will move the air scoop from above the driver.
I would think if they can make it work with the current wing, it will be easier with a lower wing. Isn't the air going under the wing more critical than that going over the top?

djos

FPV GTHO wrote:
Blaze1 wrote:Given that the rear wing will be lower in 2017, I wonder if any of the teams will move the air scoop from above the driver.
I would think if they can make it work with the current wing, it will be easier with a lower wing. Isn't the air going under the wing more critical than that going over the top?
There's the issue of the roll hoop tho, that currently forms part of the air scoop so we'd likely end up with this look again (Not that I'd mind):

"In downforce we trust"

godlameroso

You'd have to weigh the benefits of moving the cooling requirements exclusively to the sidepods, You'd also spread the mass of said cooling further from the center of gravity. On the other hand you'd free up air flow to the rear wing. If you keep things as they are now, you'd have narrower side pods and possibly less drag from tighter overall bodywork. Or do you do something completely different?
Saishū kōnā

Andres125sx

bhall II wrote:
mclaren111 wrote:Any news on the progress to increase the engine sound / noise for next year ??
FIA developing F1 engine sound generator.

(That's not a joke.)
My respect for FIA has never been too high, but lately they´re becoming obvious clowns

I posted this video from YT some time ago as a joke, but looks like FIA is doing something similar #-o

Juzh

bhall II wrote: That said, I do believe they've probably bitten off a bit more than they can chew, because I genuinely can't see how the cars will be only five seconds quicker. Top teams could find four seconds from the tires and diffusers alone. Add the wider track-width to all the other gizmos, and...
7s gain in corner speed, 2s penalty in extra drag perhaps? Drag will go up by a large amount next year, which I think is a good thing. Slower cars on the straight ultimately make a straight "longer" because you're being power/drag limited sooner. But then again, you're coming onto the straight at higher speed, thus effectively shortening the straight (in terms of time spent on it).
Can't actually be sure which is better come to think of it, but current inherently low drag cars do have a problem catching onto meaningful slipstreams unless the following car has at least 1s advantage.

PhillipM

It's going to be interesting to see either way, whether the increase in mechanical grip and the extra drag from the wider tyres is enough to let slipstreaming offset aero loss or whether it's vice-versa.

ChrisDanger

godlameroso wrote:You'd have to weigh the benefits of moving the cooling requirements exclusively to the sidepods, You'd also spread the mass of said cooling further from the center of gravity. On the other hand you'd free up air flow to the rear wing. If you keep things as they are now, you'd have narrower side pods and possibly less drag from tighter overall bodywork. Or do you do something completely different?
I could be wrong but I think the cooling is already exclusively in the sidepods. The engine air intake is in the upper scoop.

godlameroso

The ERS cooler is often fed by the rollhoop intake
Saishū kōnā

Blackout

RW endplate shape is rather complex for a temporary 2017 RW that is attached to a 2015 diffuser... why didnt they just use this simpler kind of design?
Is the ferrari design more neutral on an f1 car? or does it generate more DF? or is that the final design the strategic group opted for? does it aim to alter the shape and position of the 2017 cars wake?