2017 Tyres revealed

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2017 Tyres revealed

Is it just me or does it look like they glued two tires together in the rear Image The fronts remind me of those stretch tires Image

I can't wait to hear comments from the drivers about how much faster all that extra rubber is going to be.
Saishū kōnā

PhillipM

godlameroso wrote:Is it just me or does it look like they glued two tires together in the rear
That's kinda the idea behind twin tyres rather than a single high load rating one to start with - the centre channel reduces aquaplaning massively.

wuzak

FW17 wrote:That front tyre looks awful. What is happening to those sidewalls??

Last time Michelin used that tyre width width it looked much better. These look like some bubble tyres from monster trucks

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/42490.jpg

I believe those wheel widths are the same as the current regulations.

Michelin may have been able to maximise the tread width, however.

I think that at some point around that time the FIA started regulating tread width.

FW17

wuzak wrote:
FW17 wrote:That front tyre looks awful. What is happening to those sidewalls??

Last time Michelin used that tyre width width it looked much better. These look like some bubble tyres from monster trucks

http://pix.crash.net/motorsport/710/42490.jpg

I believe those wheel widths are the same as the current regulations.

Michelin may have been able to maximise the tread width, however.

I think that at some point around that time the FIA started regulating tread width.

Contact patches
2017 Tyre
rear 405mm
front 305mm

rear 325mm
front 245mm

rear 365
front 310 (270 with the grooves)

Thunder

At first sight they look a little too wide, but i'll get used to that. Making these Tyres as Ballon Tires with 13 Inch Rims on the other hand is just hideous. Looks awful.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

WaikeCU

Thunders wrote:At first sight they look a little too wide, but i'll get used to that. Making these Tyres as Ballon Tires with 13 Inch Rims on the other hand is just hideous. Looks awful.
Not really... Looks kinda nostalgic to me.

Jolle

Time to dust off a good 70s soundtrack!

FW17

The front would look more aggressive if they use a more square shoulder as in the rear.

Thunder

WaikeCU wrote:
Thunders wrote:At first sight they look a little too wide, but i'll get used to that. Making these Tyres as Ballon Tires with 13 Inch Rims on the other hand is just hideous. Looks awful.
But is Nostalgia really what F1 needs? I mean i understand that many People love these huge Balloon Tires, i just don't happen to be one of them. In my Book the LMP1 Rim/Tire Ratio is what they should have been going for. But that has been discussed to Death in other Threads, no need to do it again.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

WaikeCU

Now we only need more hp and restrict the aero parts on slots. I think if F1 puts a ban on wingslots, then racing will be closer. I believe wingslots are the big cause of turbulent air and not how the wings are shaped. Would love the cars to powerslide through Monaco streets. [-o<

WaikeCU

Thunders wrote:
WaikeCU wrote:
But is Nostalgia really what F1 needs? I mean i understand that many People love these huge Balloon Tires, i just don't happen to be one of them. In my Book the LMP1 Rim/Tire Ratio is what they should have been going for. But that has been discussed to Death in other Threads, no need to do it again.
It's both really. Perfect match would be a nostalgic touch with present performance. I think everyone would like that tbh. The rims Martin Brundle tested on a GP2 car back in Monaco seem ridiculous to me. I wouldn't mind adding an extra inch of rim, but not more than that.

CriXus

Sebastian Vettel Testing New 2017 Pirelli Wet Tyres On a Modified Ferrari SF15-T F1 Car (HD footage!!!)

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

enry86

agip wrote:http://i.imgur.com/vYxSqgv.jpg

Is it a 2016 or 2017 track width?
I was going to ask the same question, I tried to compare it with some pics of the original car but it's not clear to me whether they elongated the suspension whishbones or if they are the original ones.

Anyway I already like how the car looks like, so if this is a 2016 spec suspension I think I'll be pleased to see the extra track width :D

Juzh

CriXus wrote:Sebastian Vettel Testing New 2017 Pirelli Wet Tyres On a Modified Ferrari SF15-T F1 Car (HD footage!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmORzdOb5s
Traction seems good out of slow hairpins.

mclaren111

The sound is so much better than what it is at races on TV.

Why is it so difficult to get that right ????? :( :? :(