2017 tyre testing cars

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
turbof1

2017 tyre testing cars

So instead of facing the situation where an adapted car is being discussed in 4 separate topics, I'd figure to centralize the whole deal. We are going to have more tests with different adaptations, which will only be allowed to be discussed in this topic.

The current 'agreement' is to run 2015 cars adapted to be able to drive wider 2017 tyres, as well as run 2017 downforce levels. However, in order to give none of the 3 testing teams a distinctive advantage, the adapted aero devices are not allowed to comply with the 2017 rules. So they are only allowed to run a similar downforce level, but the changes to bodywork have to differentiate enough to 2017 tech rules.
#AeroFrodo

ChrisDanger

Re: 2017 tyre testing cars

Pirelli wrote:In total, the testing and development of the 2017 tyres will take place over 10 sessions for a total of 24 days. Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes will be supplying the modified 2015 cars to a precise specification established by the FIA that simulates the performance anticipated for next year, principally including more downforce, a wider track and bigger tyres. Each team will undertake testing equivalent to seven days per car, as per the attached schedule, sharing the development programme equally. The three teams will then take to the track for a collective validation test in Abu Dhabi on 29 November, two days after the final grand prix of the season.

See more here.

lio007

And here's a video from yesterday. VET in the SF15-T

lio007

Any regulation-experts around here?
Do you think RB is allowed to use this years PU for the 2017 tyre tests?
In terms of reliability and competitiveness it's far more better than last years.

It was always stated that teams have to use their 2015-chassis (with modifications to get a "2017-car"), but I've never read anything about the PU!

DiogoBrand

lio007 wrote:Any regulation-experts around here?
Do you think RB is allowed to use this years PU for the 2017 tyre tests?
In terms of reliability and competitiveness it's far more better than last years.

It was always stated that teams have to use their 2015-chassis (with modifications to get a "2017-car"), but I've never read anything about the PU!
I'm pretty sure they're not. The whole point of the tests is to test next years tyres and downforce levels, while not giving anyone a chance to test their cars and power units, and in doing so, gain a competitive advantage for the season.

Henk

lio007 wrote:And here's a video from yesterday. VET in the SF15-T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCmORzdOb5s
This is a pretty useless test. There is clearly standing water so it's too dangerous to drive. They should have tested it with a safety car in front.

How big is the advantage you get from running the tires and the track width of the 2017 regs? I imagine this is the exact same test you would run on the first day of testing anyway. First you get the general balance right and then you figure out the aero.

Vasconia

No comments from the drivers???

I am very curious to read what they say about the new rain tyres. I hope that Pirelly will make this time a good job and we can go back to 2007(at least) where good races in wet conditions were possible.

Thunder

A few more Pictures of the modified Ferrari:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

lio007

Still no pics of todays Pirelli test?

Just a joke: Maybe 2015-PU don't like to run and they haven't even made a single lap :wink:

santos

lio007 wrote:Still no pics of todays Pirelli test?

Just a joke: Maybe 2015-PU don't like to run and they haven't even made a single lap :wink:
No, the 2015-PU didn't wan't to run today because it was a two days test. It was yesterday, and the day before.

ChrisDanger

santos wrote:
lio007 wrote:Still no pics of todays Pirelli test?

No, the 2015-PU didn't wan't to run today because it was a two days test. It was yesterday, and the day before.
Red Bull's at Mugello today.

Thunder

santos wrote: No, the 2015-PU didn't wan't to run today because it was a two days test. It was yesterday, and the day before.
#aerogollum

WaikeCU

Offtopic: Is that rear wing in any way legal regarding 2016 specs?

Thunder

No it is not. Well maybe the height but that would be about it. :mrgreen:
#aerogollum

Nathanael F1

Thunders wrote:No it is not. Well maybe the height but that would be about it. :mrgreen:
Won't 2017 cars have lower rear wings? I should think the only thing legal about this is the width at the top section.
Favorite Team: Scuderia Ferrari
Favorite Driver: Nico Hülkenberg