2017 Tyres revealed

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
FrukostScones

Re: 2017 Tyres revealed

Fifty wrote:Have any of the drivers talked about their opinion of the new tires now they have run a few days of testing?
pretty certain they are obliged not to comment on this
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Restomaniac

FrukostScones wrote:
Fifty wrote:Have any of the drivers talked about their opinion of the new tires now they have run a few days of testing?
pretty certain they are obliged not to comment on this
We can imagine it though.
'Tyres that mean we have loads more traction so we can put the power down easier and brake later so we can drive like we are on rails?.......Yes please'.

foxmulder_ms

I love almost everything about 2017 car specs.

Only thing left is skirts to seal the air under the car then we are closer to the cutting edge.

Fifty

^^^and get rid of the hybrid motors and fuel savings...

godlameroso

Fifty wrote:^^^and get rid of the hybrid motors and fuel savings...
What's wrong with electric power? Electric power is much cleaner, efficient, and has torque and engine response to put any piston engine to shame. The bottleneck is energy storage. But li-ion battery tech is a little over 20 years old, whereas ICE technology is over 250 years old. And has had much more money and resources thrown at it. World war 1 & 2 lead to large developments in the ICE. War is horrible, and it's also been responsible for our greatest technological developments, including nuclear power. Armies don't really depend on electric battery storage for much, and oil companies aren't throwing money at it, so research and development is slower. It's not a matter of if, but when, a 20% improvement to current batteries and an internal combustion engine begins to seem pointless.
Saishū kōnā

Fifty

We are about to take this thread completely sideways and it is my fault so I apologize. After this response we can start a new thread.

So to simplify my reason, F1 and racing was not an economy or ecologically friendly research program.

There is formula E for anyone who wants to watch the majesty of torque at 0 rpm...and the need to change cars at a pit stop.

Gas, flames, noise, smells and speed. That's what it was and that's what it should be again. Not coasting because you used 96 liters and still have laps to go; and your in 14th place.

PlatinumZealot

Can one assume that the maximal G-forces are proportional to the size of the tyre patch all things being equal?

How many gs do you expect?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zorog

mclaren111 wrote:The sound is so much better than what it is at races on TV.

Why is it so difficult to get that right ????? :( :? :(
Its because the stereo down mix on tv is highly compressed (ie the difference between loud and quiet is made to be less) I find the 5.1 sound to be mush better, with the track noise not drowned out as much by the contaminators screaming.

godlameroso

Hard to know, tire width is one of those things that doesn't really have a point of diminishing returns as far as adding grip is concerned. The wider the tire the higher the grip, I don't know how it works for these tires, but for road cars, you gain roughly 1 second of lap time for every 25mm increase in tire width all else being equal.

IF this translates to these tires 245 > 305mm that's 65mm increase up front and 325 > 405mm and 80mm in the rear so an average increase of 72.5mm in contact patch. That means ~2.8 seconds from the tires alone, the wider wings larger barge boards and diffuser can be worth anywhere from 2 to 4 seconds on their own. So we have a potential race pace around Barcelona of anywhere from 1:26 to 1:21, and a qualifying lap as fast as 1:16.
Saishū kōnā

FPV GTHO

Wider tyres need lower pressures to fully exploit the extra grip though. Pirelli will already be under pressure to lower their 2016 limits.

adrianjordan

zorog wrote:

Its because the stereo down mix on tv is highly compressed (ie the difference between loud and quiet is made to be less) I find the 5.1 sound to be mush better, with the track noise not drowned out as much by the contaminators screaming.
Wasn't there also a rumour that Bernie had made sure that FOM didn't produce the true sound as part of his dislike for the hybrid PU?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

Fifty wrote:Gas, flames, noise, smells and speed. That's what it was and that's what it should be again. Not coasting because you used 96 liters and still have laps to go; and your in 14th place.
And there I thought it was about showcasing the fatest cars using cutting edge technology. Not really true if my Uber has a more advanced power unit that is used in F1. Personally I love the hybrid systems - keep em coming!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

wuzak

adrianjordan wrote:
zorog wrote:

Wasn't there also a rumour that Bernie had made sure that FOM didn't produce the true sound as part of his dislike for the hybrid PU?
I doubt that since they (FOM) never bothered with sound quality for the V10s either.

Sevach

adrianjordan wrote:
zorog wrote:

I thing if anything they turned it up after the first few races of 2014, hearing tire squeal was very rare in the V8/V10 eras, now it's there often.

SR71

Fifty wrote:We are about to take this thread completely sideways and it is my fault so I apologize. After this response we can start a new thread.

So to simplify my reason, F1 and racing was not an economy or ecologically friendly research program.

There is formula E for anyone who wants to watch the majesty of torque at 0 rpm...and the need to change cars at a pit stop.

Gas, flames, noise, smells and speed. That's what it was and that's what it should be again. Not coasting because you used 96 liters and still have laps to go; and your in 14th place.

Those are the characteristics that drew you to the sport.

The world changed. I think F1 would surely devolve into some red neck type sport if it were pushed into the direction you suggest.

f1 will be looking at the next 100 years and how to stay relevant. This is a phase all 50-100 year old companies are going through right now. How do we survive until 2100? You want F1 to become some flame throwin gas burning circus?

Classy.