[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

HP-Racing wrote: What kind of images are you looking for? Renderings or the CAD-model? Are there any specific views you would like us to send to you?
What ever you want that looks cool and aids in making the championship look interesting. So basic CAD, cool renders or CFD post-processing would all be equally good.
HP-Racing wrote:I'm probably asking a bit early but which race track are we starting with?
Yes, First I have to run a few more tests to make sure that I get a good solid base for you guys to restart the championship.
Also I want to keep the calendar close either to the real F1 or WEC championship. But first I have to consult with the rest of the staff as this will depend on when they will have time and what tracks are implemented in the virtual stop watch. But I am on all this. I hope this weekend enough people will have signed up and submitted enough cool images to open up the new championship homepage.

variante

Hi guys,

sorry if I haven't shown up before, but I've been away from home for a while (and still am), with poor internet connection.

I have to say that I'm very excited about the reborn of the championship, and I would definitely like to keep on racing. I'm confident that this is going to be a better organized challenge, by the "marketing side" too.

So, I'd like to thank Mantium and CAEdevice for keeping this thing alive, as well as Chris and Machin for the continuous and crucial support. Finally, a big thank to Julien for giving me (and us all) the opportunity to gain great experience with KVRC and to work with a great CFD program at zero cost; without it, I wouldn't have been able to score some important goals in my life.

LVDH

Short update:

Chris is working on a modified rule book. These are the major changes you can start preparing for:
  • Coordinate system rotated 90 deg around Z. X will be pointing from front to the rear end of the car.
  • Cooling option two will be used (not sure what I will do with the intro class). This means that you will have to model the cooling ducts. For everyone who might be a bit overwhelmed by this I will post a demo on how to design a car with ducts. You will see it is not very difficult and easier than you might expect.
  • The body work has to consist of one or many closed (intersecting) shells. Non-closed bodywork will not be accepted. MantiumWFlow will warn you about trouble. Chris told me that some people split off the wings and they are then not closed. You can simply have closed end plates which belong to the car and closed wings which intersect the end plates at their tips.
I have successfully ported MantiumWFlow to OF v1606+. This will be the official version as it offers many improvements to older versions and seems to work on Windows reasonably fine. In case there will be too many issues I will teach MantiumWFlow OF 2.3.1, however some features will be missing but it will be a work around if we need it.

I know I am a bit behind on providing a base OF case for you guys to get working again. This should happen during this weekend. I am in the last steps of fine-tuning some of the OF parameters. MantiumWFlow will follow shorty after that.

Some people have already signed up. It would be nice if some more could submit some nice images of their cars to make the new homepage look a bit more exciting. Potentially there is a bug in the submission form as it only accepts 2MB of data. If you encounter this please make the data available through some online drive.

RicME85

Being discharged from hospital today so will hopefully get around to signing up over the coming days

Alonso Fan

Yes there is an issue with the file size acceptance. I had a file which was 560kb not being accepted
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

RicME85 wrote:Being discharged from hospital today so will hopefully get around to signing up over the coming days
Excellent. I hope you are feeling better and ready to get back to the drawing board.
Please send some renders of your car when you sign up.

JJR
JJR

First of all I woul like to thank you Mantium to continue with this challenge.

This is great news RicME85. I ´m glad to hear about you.

I have alredy registered but din ´t recieved email confirmation. Is it OK or shoul I register again?

LVDH

There should have been a small green box highlighting that you registered.
I will send out an email when I launch the new site.
You were the first to register by the way so you won the first race. No points though.

Alonso Fan

i'm still working on a decent livery for my car, (taking long due to sketchup being horribly slow). would it be possible to submit more pictures or renders, since I have already registered and only submitted some teaser images?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:Cooling option two will be used (not sure what I will do with the intro class). This means that you will have to model the cooling ducts.
Once the rulebook has been released, I can provide one or two (or three) templates for the intro class.

In my opinion we could simplify the intro class, considering as frozen everything is located between front and rear axle (with at least 2 or 3 templates).

CAEdevice

What about the rulebook? Ok for the Opt2, but I was wondering if there will be other changes.

LVDH

You will be able to submit new images throughout the season. As soon as the homepage is up there will be an option to upload data. I hope it will work better than my current sign up form.
The rule changes I am planning are posted above. I do not want to change too much, this includes the OF setup to ensure that you will experience a smooth transition to the new challenge.

Alonso Fan

Awesome
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote: The rule changes I am planning are posted above
Ok, thank you.
So there will be new cooling simulation, a different mesh refinement and maybe tuned environment parameters. The geometry rules of the car should remain about the same (I asked just to know if I could send you the rendered pictures of the car that I would have used for the second race of the KVRC).

LVDH

Yes of coarse send what you got and like.
Nothing will be perfect from the beginning (MantiumWFlow and the race organization included) so why should you send your final MVRC car? It will evolve anyways or are you planning to drop off from your beloved fourth position very quickly? The other cars sure will improve over time.