2017 Tyres revealed

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
godlameroso

Re: 2017 Tyres revealed

:P they'll have monster truck tires next year, not too far fetched.
Saishū kōnā

mclaren111

Fifty wrote:
We are about to take this thread completely sideways and it is my fault so I apologize. After this response we can start a new thread.

So to simplify my reason, F1 and racing was not an economy or ecologically friendly research program.

There is formula E for anyone who wants to watch the majesty of torque at 0 rpm...and the need to change cars at a pit stop.

Gas, flames, noise, smells and speed. That's what it was and that's what it should be again. Not coasting because you used 96 liters and still have laps to go; and your in 14th place.

SR71 wrote
Those are the characteristics that drew you to the sport.

The world changed. I think F1 would surely devolve into some red neck type sport if it were pushed into the direction you suggest.

f1 will be looking at the next 100 years and how to stay relevant. This is a phase all 50-100 year old companies are going through right now. How do we survive until 2100? You want F1 to become some flame throwin gas burning circus?

Classy.
I agree 200% with Fifty. Fast cars & racing cars should always be noisy - very noisy !!!!

Pretty soon MotoGP will be louder than F1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jolle

mclaren111 wrote:
Fifty wrote:
We are about to take this thread completely sideways and it is my fault so I apologize. After this response we can start a new thread.

So to simplify my reason, F1 and racing was not an economy or ecologically friendly research program.

There is formula E for anyone who wants to watch the majesty of torque at 0 rpm...and the need to change cars at a pit stop.

Gas, flames, noise, smells and speed. That's what it was and that's what it should be again. Not coasting because you used 96 liters and still have laps to go; and your in 14th place.

SR71 wrote
Those are the characteristics that drew you to the sport.

The world changed. I think F1 would surely devolve into some red neck type sport if it were pushed into the direction you suggest.

f1 will be looking at the next 100 years and how to stay relevant. This is a phase all 50-100 year old companies are going through right now. How do we survive until 2100? You want F1 to become some flame throwin gas burning circus?

Classy.
I agree 200% with Fifty. Fast cars & racing cars should always be noisy - very noisy !!!!

Pretty soon MotoGP will be louder than F1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Completely off topic, but silence is unavoidable. The only organisation who is lacking any respect or is following guidelines for noise pollution is the FIA. Every circuit in Europe has problems with noise.

It's not logical that simple club races have to be an example for the "pinical of motorsport" instead of the other way round.

Of course noise is/was part of the experience. So was fire, deathly crashes, almost naked pit girls and smoking drivers.

henry

According to the regulations the contact patch sizes for intermediate and wet tyres are the same for 2017 as 2016. Perhaps they are waiting to see what the tests reveal before finalising this area. Or maybe the water clearing capabilities are going to improve.
12.6.1 An intermediate tyre is one which has been designed for use on a wet or damp track.
All intermediate tyres must, when new, have a contact area which does not exceed 280cm2 when fitted to the front of the car and 440cm2 when fitted to the rear. Contact areas will be measured over any square section of the tyre which is normal to and symmetrical about the tyre centre line and which measures 200mm x 200mm when fitted to the front of the car and 250mm x 250mm when fitted to the rear. For the purposes of establishing conformity, void areas which are less than 2.5mm in depth will be deemed to be contact areas.
12.6.2 A wet-weather tyre is one which has been designed for use on a wet track.
All wet-weather tyres must, when new, have a contact area which does not exceed 240cm2 when fitted to the front of the car and 375cm2 when fitted to the rear. Contact areas will be measured over any square section of the tyre which is normal to and symmetrical about the tyre centre line and which measures 200mm x 200mm when fitted to the front of the car and 250mm x 250mm when fitted to the rear. For the purposes of establishing conformity, void areas which are less than 5.0mm in depth will be deemed to be contact areas.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

mclaren111

Jolle wrote:
Of course noise is/was part of the experience. So was fire, deathly crashes, almost naked pit girls and smoking drivers.
And I still love all the above mentioned !!!! It is such a big part of motor racing and should be BIG part in F1.

I am a non smoker but it is an individual choice.

Jolle

mclaren111 wrote:
Jolle wrote:
And I still love all the above mentioned !!!! It is such a big part of motor racing and should be BIG part in F1.

I am a non smoker but it is an individual choice.
I think you can't have an innovating technical sport and a retro show at the same time.

mclaren111

You might be right.

It's getting the right mix and balance :idea: :idea:

FPV GTHO

henry wrote:According to the regulations the contact patch sizes for intermediate and wet tyres are the same for 2017 as 2016. Perhaps they are waiting to see what the tests reveal before finalising this area. Or maybe the water clearing capabilities are going to improve.
12.6.1 An intermediate tyre is one which has been designed for use on a wet or damp track.
All intermediate tyres must, when new, have a contact area which does not exceed 280cm2 when fitted to the front of the car and 440cm2 when fitted to the rear. Contact areas will be measured over any square section of the tyre which is normal to and symmetrical about the tyre centre line and which measures 200mm x 200mm when fitted to the front of the car and 250mm x 250mm when fitted to the rear. For the purposes of establishing conformity, void areas which are less than 2.5mm in depth will be deemed to be contact areas.
12.6.2 A wet-weather tyre is one which has been designed for use on a wet track.
All wet-weather tyres must, when new, have a contact area which does not exceed 240cm2 when fitted to the front of the car and 375cm2 when fitted to the rear. Contact areas will be measured over any square section of the tyre which is normal to and symmetrical about the tyre centre line and which measures 200mm x 200mm when fitted to the front of the car and 250mm x 250mm when fitted to the rear. For the purposes of establishing conformity, void areas which are less than 5.0mm in depth will be deemed to be contact areas.
It looks like the contact patch is only restricted over a small patch and not the full surface, and such likely only to regulate the grooving. For example, the inters regulate an area of 200x200mm which is 400cm2 compared to the 280cm2 allowed and 240cm2 for the wets.

strad

So what's the problem?
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

godlameroso

Back on topic

[youtube]https://youtu.be/2GcukQ_4k7o?t=3m34s[/youtube]

What do you think about his comment about the tires, do you think that he's right and they will have a bigger cliff than this year?
Saishū kōnā

thisisatest

Do they state what pressure the tires are at when measuring their contact patch? Even with stiff sidewalls, it makes some difference, right?

mclaren111

Jolle:
strad:
So what's the problem?
Could not agree with you more !! :D Well said Sir !! :D =D> =D> :D

Edit: Sorry could not resist

can
can

Isn't Mercedes testing today the new '17 tires on an adapted '15 chassis?

If that hasn't changed, has anyone some pictures already?

AMG.Tzan

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/09/06/r ... yre-tests/
Little changes to the Mercedes like Red Bull. Only a beam wing and small side skirts!! Maybe a bigger diffuser also
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

can
can

Thank you...

Excepted more than that from the mercs :wtf:

Interesting that only Ferrari had major changes!?
That might be something good or the opposite :roll: