H pattern gearbox paddle shifter

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cmcraeslo

Re: H pattern gearbox paddle shifter

Cylinders are now a little longer so you can adjust travel for each position with custom washers inside the cylinder. This basically means it can be adapted post manufacturing which is nice. I'll probably make this project public so everyone can build it's own shifter. All of these parts are still pretty expensive when you buy all of them, but slowly you could gather these parts and eventually make one.

cmcraeslo

Hey guys. It's been a while since my last update. I've now reduced the actuators and number of valves. I lowered the weight to approx 9 kg with everything included.

Clutch actuator with two speeds for separate up and downshift:

Garage test video:

Video of stress test (Did approx 20.000 shifts in a row):

Comments are more than welcome.

NL_Fer

Cool project.

I understand one cilinder operates the front/rear action and the second changes the left/right position of the "shifter". But wasn't it more easy to use one simple cilinder for every cable?

cmcraeslo

By simple, you mean two way (in and out) cylinder?

NL_Fer

I'm sorry, i didn't realize that allot of cars have a two-cable linkage.

cmcraeslo

Well, internally, most gearboxes (non dual clutch) are the same. How you shift, either by rod or cables, doesn't make a difference. You need up to 4 different movements to select a pair of forks and 3 positions to select a gear and neutral. Only exception is sequential shifting, but again, only the shift mechanism is different, it does the same thing really (moving these forks in the gearbox).

mzivtins

cmcraeslo wrote:Cylinders are now a little longer so you can adjust travel for each position with custom washers inside the cylinder. This basically means it can be adapted post manufacturing which is nice. I'll probably make this project public so everyone can build it's own shifter. All of these parts are still pretty expensive when you buy all of them, but slowly you could gather these parts and eventually make one.
From what you said before, about total cost... even you selling this as a product would still be seen as incredibly cheap by comparison of the cheapest alternative.

I think about this solution a LOT for my current rotary car build, and how amazing it would be to have, if only you had kits for sale ;)

mzivtins

double post
Last edited by mzivtins on 09 Aug 2016, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

mzivtins

On paper, CVT is always going to be the 'fastest' most efficient gear box out their given by how it works, i mean who wouldn't want to be at 100% of available torque 100% of the time at all speeds?

The problem is, can you imagine a race balanced rotary engine with peak power at 10,500rpm with a CVT driving through your village in the morning, with a full racing-beat exhaust system... CVT in that sense, isn't practical at all, i love making noise, but that is too much, and where is the fun in that gear box?

toraabe

Nowdays scooters all have CVT. also drag scooters.
in F1 that would have been fast, but all at 10500 rpm regardless speed quite booring sound