[KVRC] Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
HP-Racing

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

All I did was install OpenFOAM according to the readme file on the website. Then I increased the amount of RAM and the number of processors for the virtual machine.
I also changed the shared directory because i didn't want to fill C:\Users\*username* with unnecessary files.

Alex

LVDH

I hope this really works as easy as it sounds.
Porting everything to OF v1606+ was a small pain as every OF version (not only flavor) adds new cool (initially not working) features but somehow removes others.
As I did not want to significantly change the mesh settings from the previous challenge but did add a symmetry plane you guys should be happy with memory consumption and improved speed of the simulation.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:As I did not want to significantly change the mesh settings from the previous challenge but did add a symmetry plane you guys should be happy with memory consumption and improved speed of the simulation.
Thanks!!!

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:I hope this really works as easy as it sounds
I still get null logs... I'm going to re install OF, maybe I did something wrong.

RicME85

HP-Racing wrote:All I did was install OpenFOAM according to the readme file on the website. Then I increased the amount of RAM and the number of processors for the virtual machine.
I also changed the shared directory because i didn't want to fill C:\Users\*username* with unnecessary files.

Alex
How do you change these things? Is it easy to do?

HP-Racing

RicME85 wrote:
HP-Racing wrote:All I did was install OpenFOAM according to the readme file on the website. Then I increased the amount of RAM and the number of processors for the virtual machine.

Alex
How do you change these things? Is it easy to do?
It's only a few clicks:

- start Oracle VM VirtualBox
- select the "default" virtual machine.
- click on the yellow gear
- adjust RAM and CPUs

- change the shared directory to your desired location (make sure the name is "c/users", otherwise it won't work)

LVDH

Thanks Alex,
looks like the right guy offered to help on the first test.
I hope the others can find the settings as the language will be different but does not look difficult at all.

HP-Racing

LVDH wrote:Thanks Alex,
looks like the right guy offered to help on the first test.
I hope the others can find the settings as the language will be different but does not look difficult at all.
No problem. If you want i can make a full set of instructions as soon as I have everything we need for MVRC.

LVDH

I will come back on that.

CAEdevice

I have just completed the registration to the MVRC.
The car is almost ready, since it is the same (except for the new livery) that I would have used for the KVRC 2nd race:

I was wondering if the mimimum surface area of the cooling inlets/outles/heat-exchangers and the internal cooling templates will be confirmed: I think that it would not be necessary (more design freedom, same realism thanks to the the porous media simulation, less things to check).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 11 Aug 2016, 09:38, edited 1 time in total.

LVDH

I still have to work on a new final rule book with Chris.
But like I said there will only be few minor changes.
We will be using cooling option 2 with a porous media box for the heat exchanger.
For now it will not be allowed to rotate it. So there is a chance that we will reduce the minimal size a bit. Also you will not only submit the face but the entire 100mm extruded box.
I want to keep the cooling air flow requirements as they are. For this I am adjusting the porous resistance, even if the values get a bit unrealistic.
The coordinate system will be the standard automotive system, so you will have to rotate your designs by -90 deg in Z-direction.
The car body parts will have to be made up out of closed (intersecting) volumes.

I want to get 5 races done before Christmas, which will be a bit difficult. The season will end with a nice highlight, thanks to Richard.

LVDH

Hi guys,

today I achieved a major breakthrough. MantiumWFlow now works on Windows. This was for me the biggest factor of uncertainty. Now it is solved!
I will try to finish the homepage during the weekend and install a download platform to supply you with it.
Chris wants to get the first preliminary version of the new MVRC rulebook out this Monday.
I am aiming to open up the homepage at that occasion.
For you guys that means to sign up if you have not done so to receive the email with the download instructions to MantiumWFlow and to start design cooling ducts during the weekend. This will be more fun than finishing up a homepage, so enjoy.
Maybe somebody can recommend a new engineering challenge I can take part in.

CAEdevice

Thank you very much, very good job!

You could develop a car for the first race only, or you could wait for the "single race" event I am planning during the pause between MVRC 2016 and 2017 ; )

Alonso Fan

something for the homepage before Monday

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

I have to say "WOW".