[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
cdsavage

[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

Note: the Mantium VRC is the successor of KVRC, using a similar rulebook but different software

Hi everyone,

MVRC is almost ready to get underway. The new website at http://mantiumchallenge.com/ is up and running - you'll find the rules package and the calendar there. We are aiming for 5 races before the end of the year, with these submission dates:
  • Monaco: September 4
  • Nürburgring: October 2
  • Sepang: October 23
  • Sao Paulo: November 13
  • Le Mans: December 4
The rules package is not too different from the 2016 KVRC rules. The main changes are:
  • Axis change: Rotated 90 degrees, so that the old +Y direction is now +X, and the old +X direction is now -Y.
  • K1.3: We are going to be a bit more strict on this rule so that the simulations are more likely to run without errors. We recommend that each individual piece of bodywork you model forms a closed shell.
  • Submission format: There is a different naming scheme, now relying on named directories rather than filenames. Also we are asking for a full symmetrical model to be submitted rather than a half-car - most of you were already doing this.
  • K4.1: Option 1 has been removed - now we will use a porous heat exchanger and require a certain minimum flow rate. Also the minimum heat exchanger size has been reduced slightly, but it can no longer be rotated. There is now a rotation limit for the inlet and outlet surfaces.
Make sure you have a look at the full rulebook in case there's something I've forgotten.

Please note that the images in the rulebook, and the guide parts, have not yet been updated for the change in axis orientation. Hopefully a fixed version will be released by the end of the week.

Introductory subclass: We're not sure yet whether we will continue with this. In any case, it probably won't be ready for round 1.

LVDH

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2016

One important thing that is still missing is the data upload and download portal. I hope to get it done today. Through this MantiumWFlow will be supplied. So you will still have to wait a bit for that. An email will be sent to the registered teams. I suggest you guys get the OF v1606+ running properly on your systems in the meantime.
There are a few threads about this on cfd-online.com. Overall the issues people face seem to be rather small and simple to fix. So I hope you guys will manage as well.

Alonso Fan

i have to say, the website looks brilliant!
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

LVDH

Well your car is on the front page so you might be biased, but thanks.
I will get the important stuff done now before I polish it.

CAEdevice

I like very much the website.

The only doubt about the new MVRC is the number of races, but if the staff can manage it, it is ok for me.

About the rules: the simulation of the heat exchangers is a very good evolution. I would only suppress the rules about the minimum area of the inlet/outlet surfaces, it only makes the design and the rule check more complicated (the minimum area of the heat exchangers and the flow/pressure around it are enough to make the simulation realistic).
Last edited by CAEdevice on 16 Aug 2016, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

HP-Racing

etsmc wrote:and that would be done by using the OpenFOAM_start shortcut on my desktop??
because when i run that i get an APPCRASH with the application name of_start_container.exe
the same happens when i try and run the OF_Env_create
Check the BIOS/EFI of your computer for a setting regarding "virtualization". May also be called "VT" or similar.

for example:

Turn it on if it isn't and try to run the two OpenFOAM shortcuts again.

CAEdevice

You should also run OF_Env_create "as administrator"

Alonso Fan

here's some more pics for the new website (corrected issues with the livery)

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

etsmc

HP-Racing wrote:
etsmc wrote:and that would be done by using the OpenFOAM_start shortcut on my desktop??
because when i run that i get an APPCRASH with the application name of_start_container.exe
the same happens when i try and run the OF_Env_create
Check the BIOS/EFI of your computer for a setting regarding "virtualization". May also be called "VT" or similar.

for example:
http://cdn.sysprobs.com/wp-content/uplo ... t_bios.gif

Turn it on if it isn't and try to run the two OpenFOAM shortcuts again.
thanks for the suggestion but i have turned this on and even run the application someone in the openfoam forum suggested to verify that virtualization is enabled.
i have even followed the FAQ on the downloads page

Code: Select all

I have completed the OpenFOAM installation but Clicking on the OF_Create_Env throws an error: unable to find the image ”of_v1606plus_centos66:latest” locally 
Prerequisites: Right click on the Oracle Virtual Box shortcut and Open it as Administrator. If default is running, right click over it and select Close  → \relax \special {t4ht= PowerOff to close it
Click on the Docker Quickstart terminal shortcut on your desktop to open the terminal. Check for any error messages. If there are no error messages, go to the next step. In the case of errors, please address the particular error, referring to the other FAQs listed here.
Type the command, docker images in the terminal.If the output shows no errors, go to the next step. In the case of errors, please address the particular error, referring to the other FAQs listed here.
Go to the installation foldere.g./c/Program Files(x86)/ESI/OpenFOAM/v1606+/Windows/scripts from the Docker Quickstart terminal using the change directory cd command as below:
cd /c/ 
cd *x86* 
cd ESI/OpenFOAM/v1606+/Windows/scripts 
Type the command docker load -i of_v1606plus_centos66.tar in the terminal window - this might take a while to execute, depending on system memory. Please note that of_v1606plus_centos66.tar refers to version OpenFOAM-v1606+. The name of the tar file will change depending on the version.
Now click on OF_Create_Env to create the container.
and run the OF_Create_Env as administrator and still no luck :(

UPDATE
So, I have blown my machine away and clean installed windows 10 and installed openFoam and it all went ok.
ran the OF_Create_Env and OpenFoam_Start and I get the OpenFOAM command shell :)
now to figure out how to run the case.

in the unix terminal i have navigated to the folder with run case.sh in it but if i try to run it i get runcase.sh: Command not found.

LVDH

Try ./runCase.sh

etsmc

LVDH wrote:Try ./runCase.sh
that started it running.
what should i be looking for when it finishes?

LVDH

This was just a small test case I made to see if the Windows version of OF works.
If you have a look at the script you will see that it outputs a number of files called *.log.

These should fill up with information. The most important one is solver.log. It should contain drag and lift data.

If it works it means that you will be able to execute the cases generated by MantiumWFlow.

LVDH

What a rear end.
It is looking like a cool new season is starting.
There is a feature installed on the homepage for all these cool images. I will fill it with some content soon.

HP-Racing made a fantastic contribution for you guys.
They are providing the contenders with installation instructions for the OF Windows version:
http://mantiumchallenge.com/wp-content/ ... lation.pdf

Thank you very much.

CAEdevice

Thank you HP!

etsmc

Yes, a big thank you to HP-Racing.
another question will there be a light option like there was in OCCFD?? the only reason is I run simulations on old hardware and it took a while I think it was roughly 8hrs on the light setting of OCCFD

will I be looking at longer or shorter runs with MantiumWFlow?