What would you add to F1technical?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
NumberTwo

Also, try this link for a Jag R1 road test.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp ... e_number=1

Ciro Pabón

Thanks, Number Two. Great article.
Ciro

Carlos

Tomba - No matter how you sign in, no matter how you check the box on sign in, post replies are still lost, this is an absolute understatement with the irritation created posting on the F1Technical Forum.

Tomba, Thank you for your help with spell checking, Ciro recommended a spell checking program, with a few extra clicks to circumvent AOL software it works very well. Perhaps one day a similar solution to the above problem will present itself. Please don't send me a PM on proper sign in protocol, you have in the past, I follow it, the problem still occurs, Belatti has also remarked on this problem, please consult him for confirmation.
EDIT - No 21st - I acknowledge this post was whinging.
Last edited by Carlos on 21 Nov 2007, 14:46, edited 1 time in total.

Carlos

Why can you only vote once on a Poll? Is that real world Democracy? :wink:

On a semi-serious note; I would prefer a 5 minute delay, between writing a post and it's posting.

modbaraban

Does phpBB have 'unite threads' function (for moderators of course)? That would help a lot. I have it in my IPB-powered forum.

Steven
Owner

modbaraban wrote:
Does phpBB have 'unite threads' function (for moderators of course)? That would help a lot. I have it in my IPB-powered forum.
Current version doesn't so I can't resolve this at the moment.

However, phpBB3 does and it will be released in 2 days. More importantly, the new F1technical release (planned for 20 dec) will include this too ;) I have worked with beta's and release candidates all year long and phpbb has actually timed its final release perfectly :D

All features will therefore also be here. A list of improvements and additions can be found here:
http://area51.phpbb.com/docs/features.html

bizadfar

Re: What would you add to F1technical?

Not sure if it's mentioned.

Or

If I'm blind and can't see it.

But something like "view new posts" and "view active threads" link at the index page should be handy.

TenTenths

I love the new page layout.

I would like to see a fantasy F1 game.

manchild

Re:

Sawtooth-spike wrote:I also think a "What is ...." Section, would be good, what i mean is we get alot of messages about "what is a Keel?" and that kinda stuff, and it might be good to have a section that gives people a rought idea of these things. this might cut down on some of these posts.
That could be done quite easy - an interactive cutaway drawing of an F1 car with popup box or side bar with explanation which part of the car the mouse is pointed at. More-less something like this but with much more elements included http://www.ing-renaultf1.com/en/car/chassis3D/

m3_lover

Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

checkered

Having watched the

msgboard dynamics evolve for a while, I've some suggestions for future consideration. I'll list them in the order of personal priority:

1) A dedicated area for personal requests and general questions:

It seems to be that many shortlived/publicly inactive threads are started just to get simple clarifications to matters that may or may not have anything to do with F1. Sometimes they come out of the blue, sometimes they're prompted by on-site discussions. They're clearly distinct from questions concerning F1 itself, but still somehow deemed worthy of their own threads - I imagine mainly for visibility. Primarily they do tend to get placed in the "Formula One" sections though, where they can cause some inefficiency and confusion. I'm not objecting to the requests and questions in themselves, on the contrary I encourage them, but my point is that they'd seem to be out of place in any existing section. My proposal isn't necessarily the only solution, but my perception is that the structure of the discussion could do with a bit more creative coherence relative to the creative chaos.

2) Tools for member contributed data organising and retrieval:

While running discussions are a truly intuitive way to innovate and enthuse about motorsport, there seems to be an ambition with some members to contribute something of a more lasting importance. You, Tomba and Principessa, are doing a stellar job of providing incredible amounts of information on this website, something you're thanked for all too seldom. Perhaps inspired by your example, I think I'm detecting a lot of ambition in some members and wonder whether that ambition could be best served by incorporating also other forms of online interaction to the F1T website ... on the longer term, could you give some thought to ...

A member run database section (picture archives are a good example)
A blog area (for those having a lot on their V8 tuned heart)
A F1T Wiki (a pooling of knowledge, which could streamline the discussion)

Granted, I have my own doubts whether these would be a bit too ambitious and cannot even tell whether I'd put any of these to use. But perhaps you're better positioned to assess the potential.

Carlos

Considering 'an area for personal requests' - Maybe a forum for short term questions that have a limited life, lets say 2 weeks, then they would automatically disappear.

modbaraban

Carlos wrote:Considering 'an area for personal requests' - Maybe a forum for short term questions that have a limited life, lets say 2 weeks, then they would automatically disappear.
There is an option when creating polls to set their lifetime before the poll is closed. It would be good to have that option for topics to be automatically closed after X days since the topic start or after X days of topic being inactive.

@ Carlos - better closed than deleted since the useful info would stay there for searchers.

mx_tifoso

A feature that I would like to add would be an introduction of sorts to every single new member that joins this forum.

On how to make posts, including pictures, links, avatar sizes acceptable, etc. And how to search for certain topics, in case they want to start a thread about a topic that has already been discussed recently, or whenever. Basically a survival guide on how to manage their way through this forum, and how to make their experience a whole lot better.

Since of late I have noticed that many new members start new threads but are quickly recieved with links to other threads with the same topic. And then the new threads are useless as they are abandoned in favour of the older thread with more content. So we then end up with a lot of abandoned threads that take up space in each of the sub-forums available, making searches more difficult and time consuming for all members.

This is just a personal suggestion that came to me by witnessing it first hand. I wouldn't like to place all the work on Tomba or Principessa, so anyone with suggestions or additions to this idea are most definately welcome. Posting them here would be great,as we could possibly start an actual draft of the "introduction" for new members.

What do you guys/gals think about this?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Harrelson

I tick the "remember me" box when i log in but it only works for 2 days. I want to be permanently logged in. Is this possible?