Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DiogoBrand

Re: Red Bull RB12 TAG-Heuer

trinidefender wrote:
DiogoBrand wrote:Those endplates look like they've cut a "regular" endplate. That rounded section on top looks like the bottom of the louvres, and if you look at the image you can see what looks like the fillings on the hollow section of the CF.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrRs_dLXgAACFIP.jpg:large

It's hard to think Red Bull would do such a bodge job, but by the looks of it it almost makes sense.
The shiny parts that you are referring to as "fillings" are actually the wing mounting pieces. They are created so pieces can be changed and changed the position and angle of attack of the wing without actually having multiple different rear wings.
I wasn't talking about the shiny bits. I meant that darker part on the horizontal plane at the front, where the top of the endplate gets thicker.
But even so, when looking at regular endplates, the louvres start below that cutout at the back, so that already eliminates any hopes for my theory.

Juzh

lio007 wrote: Closed up blown axles:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CrRScd4WEAAtWl3.jpg:large
This seems to be their method of closing the axle this year. As in they close it from within, as opposed to last year when they used nuts similar to the rear axle to close the front one off. I've not found a single picture so far this of it this year. I found it interesting last race in spa how they supposedly ran with open axle, but it might just as well not be the case. Hard to spot it.

Ferrari's way of closing it off:

gandharva

Just_a_fan wrote:
Pany wrote:Incredible zero wing and flat profile! They are evolving car downforce generation in a way nobody else is capable :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
So true. Nobody else is capable of making less downforce by reducing the overall size and angle of attack of the wing. Such genius on the part of RedBull. Will anyone else figure out the secret?!!!!!
What a stupid comment... He clearly referred to the huge amount of downforce the car is generating by its diffuser that allows to run such a tiny wing.

PhillipM

Or....it's just running a tiny wing.

Just_a_fan

gandharva wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Pany wrote:Incredible zero wing and flat profile! They are evolving car downforce generation in a way nobody else is capable :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
So true. Nobody else is capable of making less downforce by reducing the overall size and angle of attack of the wing. Such genius on the part of RedBull. Will anyone else figure out the secret?!!!!!
What a stupid comment... He clearly referred to the huge amount of downforce the car is generating by its diffuser that allows to run such a tiny wing.
If they could generate such "a huge amount of downforce" from the diffuser, they'd run tiny wings elsewhere too. :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123

gandharva wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Or...

They run a smaller wing because they have to overcome a power and/or drag deficit.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Pierce89

Im with Wes. They damn sure had a lot less df at Monza than Merc, by a mile.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

carisi2k

Pierce89 wrote:Im with Wes. They damn sure had a lot less df at Monza than Merc, by a mile.
I just watched some in car shots on the F1 website and the Mercedes is clearly much more powerful then the Renault, even with Renault improving it's engine as much as it has.

The video of Hamilton vs Ricciardo is quite interesting. It is clear to see the Mercedes HP advantage but the Red Bull was extremely good under braking. Even with that slim rear wing the RB12 must still have have a significant amount of downforce.

lio007

Though it's easy to understand how a blown wheel nut works, I've never seen a pic like that:

Juzh

lio007 wrote:Though it's easy to understand how a blown wheel nut works, I've never seen a pic like that:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GyKtTq4uDgM/ ... G_0378.JPG
Where is this picture from? Which GP?

lio007

Juzh wrote:
lio007 wrote:Though it's easy to understand how a blown wheel nut works, I've never seen a pic like that:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-GyKtTq4uDgM/ ... G_0378.JPG
Where is this picture from? Which GP?
Sorry, forgot to post the link! I saw the picture here: http://www.f1analisitecnica.com/2016/09 ... ca-di.html

TBH for me it's not clear if it's from Italy or Belgium.

NL_Fer

The Redbull creates allot of downforce with the whole body of the car, to allow for a smaller rearwing. But it is still different downforce, because in Baku they used almost no rearwing and ended up with huge tire degradation in the race.

wesley123

NL_Fer wrote:The Redbull creates allot of downforce with the whole body of the car, to allow for a smaller rearwing.
Nope, trying to overcome a deficit
But it is still different downforce,
Ehhm, how exactly? I'm really not sure how downforce can be different, considering how it is just physics.
because in Baku they used almost no rearwing and ended up with huge tire degradation in the race.
Which shows how little downforce they ran. Which, like I said, is to overcome a deficit
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

motobaleno

interesting article in motorsport about RB softer rear suspension to stall the rear wing.

here is the italian version but you should easily find the english one

http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/scalab ... rs-825812/

rscsr

motobaleno wrote:interesting article in motorsport about RB softer rear suspension to stall the rear wing.

here is the italian version but you should easily find the english one

http://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/scalab ... rs-825812/
I read it via Google translate, but it is not stalling. They are reducing the angle of attack, due to soft rear suspension while travelling at speed. They even said that it is not stalling. They are moving to the left on a lift chart like this:
On the other hand the active suspension cars could lower the ride height to stall the diffusor (by preventing the air from going under the car) but this is not the case nowadays.